Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting Internet in Spain

Getting Internet in Spain

Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Internet in Spain

Originally Posted by Ecco
Hi. I've heard that the 'utility companies' can be a bit 'dodgy'. So that sounds like a good idea.

But how would it work? Say for example if they take money out by direct debit (automatically) then you wouldn't know how much to put in the account before then. Then I guess you'd probably get charged for being overdrawn (if there wasn't enough in the separate account to cover the bill).
Most "basic" accounts have no credit. So if the money's not there, they don't pay it, and therefore, no penalties. Don't worry, you won't be arrested if the bank refuses payment for lack of funds. In the case of most banks, you can later pay bills online from the code provided on the factura.

Also, the brings to mind another point. Endesa likes to collect the money BEFORE they issue the factura. So you haven't any chance to review what they're charging before you pay it. Getting money back when they overcharge is difficult. Dodgy, yes.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Endesa bill is available on line a good week before the DD is taken, certainly in Andalucia. Before I started paying by monthly instalments my moans were regularly to be heard long before I was robbed, both accounts.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 6:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Getting money back when they overcharge is difficult. Dodgy, yes.
From my experience with direct debits, the bank will always reverse them without question if you ask. I think you have to do it with 30 days, but utility bills only allow 15 days.

Of course that doesn't stop them cutting you off, repossessing your house or kidnapping your mother-in-law etc, but at least you get the money back.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bank with Sabadell and on the statement you get a pdf of the transaction, on this there is a "recall" link, click, job done.
I did it regularly with Movistar when they continued with line rental after we had closed the contract. They gave up.