Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

German car into Spain?

German car into Spain?

Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:18 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: German car into Spain?

Spanish cars, new and second-hand (I've been looking) are horrendously expensive compared to the UK and Germany. I think the UK is probably slightly cheaper than Germany, but the import problems from home probably evens the score.

Holland, for some reason, has always been a source of cheap cars, probably something to do with taxes, but the yellow number plates are like a red rag to a bull in Spain and it's best to change them as soon as possible.

Perhaps the best reason to buy a second-hand car from Holland is that they have never climbed a mountain, or exceeded a speed of more than 60 mph. It makes sense.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 10:07 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
Spanish cars, new and second-hand (I've been looking) are horrendously expensive compared to the UK and Germany. I think the UK is probably slightly cheaper than Germany, but the import problems from home probably evens the score.

Holland, for some reason, has always been a source of cheap cars, probably something to do with taxes, but the yellow number plates are like a red rag to a bull in Spain and it's best to change them as soon as possible.

Perhaps the best reason to buy a second-hand car from Holland is that they have never climbed a mountain, or exceeded a speed of more than 60 mph. It makes sense.
Its also because the Germans are very strict on what can be used on the roads, So when a car hits the end of its life in Germany they wack Export Plates on them and sell them in France and Spain were they get a nice new long lease of life. I would always take a German used car over a Dutch or Belgium Better service records and better drivers.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:47 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

No yellow plates: Why? because when you purchase a Dutch car and export it you have to change the plates to export ones. These are white with black letters. SOmetimes you can get the plate made up, so looks more official, or you can simply wite them yourself. The later is ok if you do not intend to drive it around for the 2 weeks the export permissions stand for. We have done that.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 9:48 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I know a local, Spanish taxi driver, who's used a middle-range Mercedes for the past nine years, during which time it has done over a million Kms. He knows that it's come to the end of its life as a busy taxi, and is part-exchanging it for a new Renault Scenic.

It will then come on the market with the mileometer zeroed, along with the German taxis who have led a similarly busy life. You need to be careful when buying such a car, a million Kms is a lot of miles.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 2:23 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HBG
I know a local, Spanish taxi driver, who's used a middle-range Mercedes for the past nine years, during which time it has done over a million Kms. He knows that it's come to the end of its life as a busy taxi, and is part-exchanging it for a new Renault Scenic.

It will then come on the market with the mileometer zeroed, along with the German taxis who have led a similarly busy life. You need to be careful when buying such a car, a million Kms is a lot of miles.
To the Moon and back and to the Moon again, Maybe Nasa should use Mercedes Parts