Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

General cost of living - Living modestly

General cost of living - Living modestly

Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: General cost of living - Living modestly

Yes please! I need a gardener, had one in UK for my tiny garden, unfortnately you are too far away, otherwise the job would be yours.
I do agree with you husband, our pot came from nice redundancy and also selling our house in England, we do not go mad but live quite nicely take advantage of the cheaper flights of course usually book when first listed as tend to be cheaper then.
Regards Pwwm
Old Jan 20th 2006, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachels2000
We will just about have enough income from our savings to get by.But my hubby keeps going on about inflation and how the spending power of our savings will go down.He says we have to put a certain ammount back into the pot to stop our pot devaluing over the years.We would not have any free cash to put back into the pot and the pot would devalue.Anyone need a cleaner or gardener? ;-)
I also visit Denia regularly and have found, as in many small towns, that you soon get to know a few people. I don't imagine it woud be difficult to get gardening work with the vast number of apartments going up along the las marinas road. Have you considered talking to Community Administrators as they will be the ones looking to employ gardeners and cleaners for all the hundreds of communities in the area.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

We will just about have enough income from our savings to get by.But my hubby keeps going on about inflation and how the spending power of our savings will go down.He says we have to put a certain ammount back into the pot to stop our pot devaluing over the years.We would not have any free cash to put back into the pot and the pot would devalue.Anyone need a cleaner or gardener? ;-)
If you were to put you savings into a UK based (L&G is the best one) Distribution Bond you will be able to draw down 5% of the initial investment tax deferred for a period of 20 years. This would still allow for growth as the L&G Distribution fund has averaged about 9% growth per annum over the past few years

E.g. £100,000 would produce £5,000 per annum net (no tax to pay unless you draw more than 5% or encash it and incur a gain)

Graham

You may want to check out a Spanish equivalent as this is not something that i am familiar with.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Rachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gray C
If you were to put you savings into a UK based (L&G is the best one) Distribution Bond you will be able to draw down 5% of the initial investment tax deferred for a period of 20 years. This would still allow for growth as the L&G Distribution fund has averaged about 9% growth per annum over the past few years

E.g. £100,000 would produce £5,000 per annum net (no tax to pay unless you draw more than 5% or encash it and incur a gain)

Graham

You may want to check out a Spanish equivalent as this is not something that i am familiar with.
I so agree with your saying Gray C.Leave the safe harbour.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 9:35 am
Very Old Member!

ScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud ofScotinSpain has much to be proud of

Hi Millano,

There have been a number of cost of living estimates in Andalucia on this, and other, boards out here and Rachels2000 estimate is very realistic.

I live on the Western CdS which, relatively, is very expensive, and 10,000 - 12,000 pounds p.a. will see a very nice lifestyle in this neck of the woods.

Looking at Rachels2000's detail, the electricity at 20 pounds a month is very low as is the IBI at 5 pounds a month, but this is offset by the water estimate which is very high at 25 pounds a month.

Official inflation here is about 3.5%pa, but some requirements are rising much faster, notable electricity and some food products (plus petrol, but that's a worldwide problem at present)

Hope your plans come to fruition,

Jock
Old Jan 21st 2006, 10:55 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScotinSpain
Hi Millano,

There have been a number of cost of living estimates in Andalucia on this, and other, boards out here and Rachels2000 estimate is very realistic.

I live on the Western CdS which, relatively, is very expensive, and 10,000 - 12,000 pounds p.a. will see a very nice lifestyle in this neck of the woods.

Looking at Rachels2000's detail, the electricity at 20 pounds a month is very low as is the IBI at 5 pounds a month, but this is offset by the water estimate which is very high at 25 pounds a month.

Official inflation here is about 3.5%pa, but some requirements are rising much faster, notable electricity and some food products (plus petrol, but that's a worldwide problem at present)

Hope your plans come to fruition,

Jock
Very good breakdown Rachel. We have also done the same and got our figures to around £180.00 a week i.e. £9360. We have not included car depreciation or car parts, lots of birthdays or christmas pressies as we only have each other to buy for, but have included spending money for going out twice a week at £130 per month. We have also allowed for utility bills, council tax, dental, haircuts, gas bottles, internet, sky tv (£45 a month subscription here), buildings and contents insurance, mobile phones, landline, service charge for our urb., life insurance, car insurance, car tax and fuel.

I have been onto many forums and got average prices for electricity and water so am reasonably happy with the figures I have counted. I do think that food prices are quite expensive though in all the supermarkets and that is for spanish brands. We have allowed 70 euros a week for two people. Am not sure if that will be enough. We do intend buying our fruit, veg etc from local markets, but there is so much you have to buy from supermarkets.

We are also investing the equity in our property sale. We have put it in a Friends Provident investment bond, in the "property" fund which has done very well, average of 12.56% over the last 3 years, but all the property funds with the major insurance companies have done well over a longer time. We can take out 7.5% p.a interest. We also have a very small private pension so will hopefully have around £10,200 p.a. without touching our capital at all but will start to use it once we get our state pensions in 10 years time, but its there for emergencies if we need it.

I have allowed £40 per month for electricity and £15 for water.

It is good to read that most people agree with the £10,000 figure.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Barrosa Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Why I worked it out so strict is because I am planning on living off interest off savings and wanted to know the cost for everything thinkable.Every little hidden thing that may not be paid monthly but may come every other year or so, new tv or a new car etc.Redecorating your home.Buying new furniture after a few years.Holidays.Unexpected vet bills.Having one filling too much etc.Kind of worse case kind of thing.Maximum all this would cost divided across the year.As all these little things can add up.

Here is my breakdown
food- £200 a month
Take out- £20 a month
Elect-£20 a month
Water £25 a month
Sky tv -£10 a month
Ibi tax- £5 a month
Gas or heating £20 a month
Phone £13 a month
Broadband £20 a month
Fiscal Rep £8 a month
House and contents insurance £14 a month
Travel Insurance £5 a month
Medical Private healthcare £60 a month
Car Insurance £14 a month
Car Tax £4 a month
Car Parts £8 a month
Petrol £50 a month
Car Devalue £50 a month
Hair Cut £3 a month
Dentist £5 a month
Vet £3 a month
Car Mot £3 a month
Clothes £15 a month
Xmas budget £17 a month
Birthday budget for gifts £17 a month
Pc Software and hardware £9 a month
Spending £160 a month
Wealth Tax £40 a month
Decor budget(new household items, decoration etc) £15 a month
Flights back to Uk once a year £25 a month
Cattery while on holiday £20 a month

= £883 a month. Just over £10,000 a year.
Wish we could get electric for that price our last Endesa bill for Nov and Dec was 245 euros. We live on Costa de la Luz, all our water heating is gas. Anyone else have any comparsions? Most of the people around us don't pay electric as they do not have meters. Would be interesting to get some idea as to what others pay Endesa.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Rachels2000,
If you haven't already done so, you might want to take a look at the discussion boards on The Motley Fool:
http://www.fool.co.uk/

They have boards covering financial subjects such as investment, retirement planning, living cheaply (Living Below Your Means), etc, etc. As a resource for advice, they're phenomenal, whether you're a knowledgeable investor with a portfolio of shares in companies, a beginner with a mortgage, pension, credit cards and a savings account or deeply in debt and fighting off creditors.

I'm sure you would find good advice on where best to put your money for maximising income, whilst minimising capital drawdown and risk, even taking into account moving abroad (there's also a board for expat investors); and ideas/inspiration for reducing your living costs.

It sounds like you're very much along the right lines, being prepared to supplement your investment income to make it go further.

There are really three fronts for you to consider: investing your money, cutting your living expenses and making money from additional income streams other than your investing. On the money-in front, there are numerous ways to make extra money from part-time local work in various fields or short-term full-time work, maybe even further afield. On top of these, there's also the possibility of running small-scale business from home or perhaps turning a hobby or interest into something money-making. The key, I think, to avoid it becoming a hassle that's detrimental to the rest of your idyll is to make sure that it's something you find enjoyable and interesting. You've plenty of time in your favour to do anything you need to put things in place, such as learning the language, making friends locally, getting to know the area, the business and people within it. And you've little pressure to 'sell yourself' into doing something you don't enjoy, out of necessity.

Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barrosa Brit
Wish we could get electric for that price our last Endesa bill for Nov and Dec was 245 euros. We live on Costa de la Luz, all our water heating is gas. Anyone else have any comparsions? Most of the people around us don't pay electric as they do not have meters. Would be interesting to get some idea as to what others pay Endesa.

We too are on the Costa de la Luz. Have just done a calculation of electricity for the year - 741 euros - roughly 64 euros a month. We run 2 computers 24/7, 2 air conditioners and/or ceiling fans in the summer, electrical heating in the winter, washing machine about 3 loads a week. Cooking and water heating by gas, around 170 euros a year, plus more gas in the winter for a gas fire (around 100 euros). We also buy logs (around 70-90 euros depending on how cold it is). The heaviest bill is at the end of January, which we have found to be the coldest month.
Old Jan 21st 2006, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Barrosa Brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
We too are on the Costa de la Luz. Have just done a calculation of electricity for the year - 741 euros - roughly 64 euros a month. We run 2 computers 24/7, 2 air conditioners and/or ceiling fans in the summer, electrical heating in the winter, washing machine about 3 loads a week. Cooking and water heating by gas, around 170 euros a year, plus more gas in the winter for a gas fire (around 100 euros). We also buy logs (around 70-90 euros depending on how cold it is). The heaviest bill is at the end of January, which we have found to be the coldest month.
Thanks for your reply, that's really interesting. We also have computers, pool, but no air conditioners, and a small house. Will be interesting to get other peoples input. Thanks Again.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 1:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

****!!!
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 6:59 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
I also visit Denia regularly and have found, as in many small towns, that you soon get to know a few people. I don't imagine it woud be difficult to get gardening work with the vast number of apartments going up along the las marinas road. Have you considered talking to Community Administrators as they will be the ones looking to employ gardeners and cleaners for all the hundreds of communities in the area.

we have a live in gardener in our community in Javea - he gets a free apartment
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we have a live in gardener in our community in Javea - he gets a free apartment
That's interesting. But who actually owns the apartment? Do they take something from the community in lieu of rent from the gardener.
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 11:01 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montgomail
That's interesting. But who actually owns the apartment? Do they take something from the community in lieu of rent from the gardener.

I have to say I don't know

we are renting here, but his daughter is at school with mine, which is how I know he doesn't pay rent - maybe the management company retained an apartment for this reason
Old Jan 22nd 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had our electric bill in for 83 euro's this covers nov/dec I run a tumble dryer when it rains but we also have and run four computers which we use all the time, but we do not have electric heating we use butano in the winter but we definately do not buy logs we just go out and collect them off the hills. In the summer we run the pool but we do keep it up all year. our electric bill is never higher than the one shown.
pwwm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.