Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

General cost of living - Living modestly

General cost of living - Living modestly

Old Jan 14th 2006, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Millano is an unknown quantity at this point
Question General cost of living - Living modestly

I've been curious about possibly moving to Spain. I'd have a small fixed income from the USA. I don't know if it would be possible to do.

The main question I have is about typical rent. I don't have money to buy a home. When I try to search around the net, all I find are 'apartments' (that from my US perspective seem more like hotels) with extremely high rent costs.

I wouldn't be looking to use a car or work (at least not many hours). Nor would I eat out hardly at all, nor drink any alcohol, or buy many unnecessary things. What I'd expect to pay for are things like rent, food (I eat cheap in the US - I don't know what the food market is like throughout Spain exactly), electricity, water, tv/internet, and not much else.

I'm thinking inland, and outside of the major cities. Whatever isn't expensive. What I'm mostly looking for is climate and a nice place for road cycling.

Does anyone have a general clue as to how much it would cost per month?

Or just, cost of renting an apartment per month. Something small, halfway decent 0-1 bedroom. In an inexpensive inland location. Could anyone give me an idea? I'm completely clueless if I'm looking at like 400euro per month or 1500euro.

If anyone could give a similar answer to similar location in rural France, Italy, or Germany, that would be great too.

Last edited by Millano; Jan 14th 2006 at 4:09 am.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: General cost of living - Living modestly

Originally Posted by Millano
I've been curious about possibly moving to Spain. I'd have a small fixed income from the USA. I don't know if it would be possible to do.

The main question I have is about typical rent. I don't have money to buy a home. When I try to search around the net, all I find are 'apartments' (that from my US perspective seem more like hotels) with extremely high rent costs.

I wouldn't be looking to use a car or work (at least not many hours). Nor would I eat out hardly at all, nor drink any alcohol, or buy many unnecessary things. What I'd expect to pay for are things like rent, food (I eat cheap in the US - I don't know what the food market is like throughout Spain exactly), electricity, water, tv/internet, and not much else.

I'm thinking inland, and outside of the major cities. Whatever isn't expensive. What I'm mostly looking for is climate and a nice place for road cycling.

Does anyone have a general clue as to how much it would cost per month?

Or just, cost of renting an apartment per month. Something small, halfway decent 0-1 bedroom. In an inexpensive inland location. Could anyone give me an idea? I'm completely clueless if I'm looking at like 400euro per month or 1500euro.

If anyone could give a similar answer to similar location in rural France, Italy, or Germany, that would be great too.
There are several threads on here covering this subject, the latest of which is titled "Monthly budget - Inland" (see next page). This should answer some of your queries.

As for France, Italy etc I would post something similar on the site dedicated to those countries. However, before you do it may be a good idea to do a search on this subject within the specific forum.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 2:31 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

Millano,

You may wish to check out some of those online newspapers, they contain a wealth of information on local news items, cost of living and renting etc..

www.onlinenewspapers.com/spain.htm

(just copy and paste)

I dont know your circumstances, but would respectfully suggest that you seriously thoroughly investigate "all about Spain" before thinking of emigrating.

I felt sad when I read you message because,

Life seems already hard in the US for you, I sense that emigrating to a Foreign land may not enhance your life, or be the answer that you are looking for, which, could result in being a very stressful experience.

Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

Millano is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gray C
There are several threads on here covering this subject, the latest of which is titled "Monthly budget - Inland" (see next page). This should answer some of your queries.

As for France, Italy etc I would post something similar on the site dedicated to those countries. However, before you do it may be a good idea to do a search on this subject within the specific forum.
I read through that thread as well as some others. But I found very little real info. There are mostly just references to living luxuriously. Some with a child, some in Barcelona/Madrid, some on the coast, some that go out a lot for drink or golf, for example.

Originally Posted by La Joconde
You may wish to check out some of those online newspapers, they contain a wealth of information on local news items, cost of living and renting etc..
www.onlinenewspapers.com/spain.htm
Thanks!

I dont know your circumstances, but would respectfully suggest that you seriously thoroughly investigate "all about Spain" before thinking of emigrating.
Yes right now I'm just trying to get an idea of whether it's a possibility at all, and go from there in my learning process. And if it all seems to fit, then eventually I'd catch up on the language and visit there to 'scout' and get a feel for what it's like.

I felt sad when I read you message because,

Life seems already hard in the US for you, I sense that emigrating to a Foreign land may not enhance your life, or be the answer that you are looking for, which, could result in being a very stressful experience.
Well I don't know. Life varies so much throughout the USA. Financially speaking, life is easy where I'm living right now, but it's geography and culture doesn't suit me enough to want to stay here for many more years. I've also been considering some long distance US locations. I could afford doing the moving and such, and culturally I'd like the challenge. It's just that if I could settle in, I'd need (well, maybe not NEED, but if I had to stretch my resources I'd rather stay home) to then live mostly modest from month to month.

Thanks again for both of your replies.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

Rental costs really vary depending where you go. We rented when we first moved to Spain and we were paying 900 Euros per month for a 3 bed townhouse. This is in a relatively up an coming area. We then rented an apartment near Marbella and that was 800 Euros per month. If you go inland I suppose you could find something in the region of 400 Euros per month...but you'd really need to look around.

Have a look at Kyero which has a wide range of long term rentals all over Spain:

Long term lets in Spain

In terms of living on a budget, we recently did an article on this which you may find or interest:

Living on a budget in Spain

Good luck!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say minimum 1,500 euros a month to cover rent, electric, water, food and have something left over.

If you are serious about moving, look carefully at the area you are moving to and don't just think "cheap rent, I'm off".

Good luck
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Rachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by svenskidoo
I would say minimum 1,500 euros a month to cover rent, electric, water, food and have something left over.

If you are serious about moving, look carefully at the area you are moving to and don't just think "cheap rent, I'm off".

Good luck
I have worked out that living in Spain for one year will cost about £10,000 a year.This is for a sensible lifestyle and does not include mortgage or rent.It does include everything else.Electric, Gas,Food,Water,Ibi,Wealth tax,running a car, petrol,vets, dentist,private health insurance,going out(£140 a month) , fiscal rep,phone, broadband, Sky tv,one holiday a year to Uk(staying with family for free, just pay for flights),small clothes budget, everything you will need to live.No fancy foods, a simple life eating out once a week.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.
We have lived here for two and a half years and live comfortably under £10,000 I see included in that is £140 a month to go out, (we have a small boat on a hard mooring for diving) take that out of the equation and you are already down to £8320. Depends how much or where you wish to go out, we go to a local bar ie tonight will cost us well under £15 to incude food and drinks.

But here is the crux we are away from the costa's and do not pay inflated prices. Depends upon the area you choose to relocate to.

I spoke to a lady leaving from Almeria airport on the same flight as me, she commented how expensive her area is,( Vera/ Garrucha) .
You probably need to come over and visit the area's of interest to you, It does depend on what you are looking for, ie night life around the costa's or more rural Spain with local bars.
by the way our last electric bill just came in for 80 euro's, this covers two months, but our rates are (we have another smaller property and that is 38 euro a year) and this place is 125 euro's.

Best of luck in your search
pwwm
Old Jan 20th 2006, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Rachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant futureRachels2000 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pwwm
Hi.
We have lived here for two and a half years and live comfortably under £10,000 I see included in that is £140 a month to go out, (we have a small boat on a hard mooring for diving) take that out of the equation and you are already down to £8320. Depends how much or where you wish to go out, we go to a local bar ie tonight will cost us well under £15 to incude food and drinks.

But here is the crux we are away from the costa's and do not pay inflated prices. Depends upon the area you choose to relocate to.

I spoke to a lady leaving from Almeria airport on the same flight as me, she commented how expensive her area is,( Vera/ Garrucha) .
You probably need to come over and visit the area's of interest to you, It does depend on what you are looking for, ie night life around the costa's or more rural Spain with local bars.
by the way our last electric bill just came in for 80 euro's, this covers two months, but our rates are (we have another smaller property and that is 38 euro a year) and this place is 125 euro's.

Best of luck in your search
pwwm
Hello
My place is near Denia.I did add loads to this cost breakdown.Haircuts and clothes budgets and take out meal 2 times a month.Even added car devaluation and car parts and birthdays and Xmas budget for pressies.My breakdown was all inclusive cost.Even added about 200 a year towards new decor etc.But all these costs are hidden costs and have to be paid at some point.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rachels2000
Hello
My place is near Denia.I did add loads to this cost breakdown.Haircuts and clothes budgets and take out meal 2 times a month.Even added car devaluation and car parts and birthdays and Xmas budget for pressies.My breakdown was all inclusive cost.Even added about 200 a year towards new decor etc.But all these costs are hidden costs and have to be paid at some point.
Why I worked it out so strict is because I am planning on living off interest off savings and wanted to know the cost for everything thinkable.Every little hidden thing that may not be paid monthly but may come every other year or so, new tv or a new car etc.Redecorating your home.Buying new furniture after a few years.Holidays.Unexpected vet bills.Having one filling too much etc.Kind of worse case kind of thing.Maximum all this would cost divided across the year.As all these little things can add up.

Here is my breakdown
food- £200 a month
Take out- £20 a month
Elect-£20 a month
Water £25 a month
Sky tv -£10 a month
Ibi tax- £5 a month
Gas or heating £20 a month
Phone £13 a month
Broadband £20 a month
Fiscal Rep £8 a month
House and contents insurance £14 a month
Travel Insurance £5 a month
Medical Private healthcare £60 a month
Car Insurance £14 a month
Car Tax £4 a month
Car Parts £8 a month
Petrol £50 a month
Car Devalue £50 a month
Hair Cut £3 a month
Dentist £5 a month
Vet £3 a month
Car Mot £3 a month
Clothes £15 a month
Xmas budget £17 a month
Birthday budget for gifts £17 a month
Pc Software and hardware £9 a month
Spending £160 a month
Wealth Tax £40 a month
Decor budget(new household items, decoration etc) £15 a month
Flights back to Uk once a year £25 a month
Cattery while on holiday £20 a month

= £883 a month. Just over £10,000 a year.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya
I think it is slightly more where you are, but as you said you have added everything, mind you I save on hair cuts have a friend. I know someone your neck of the woods, loves it.
Re car, good thing here is that second hand cars seem to hold their value, (unless you are trying to buy one) but we bought ours over and will keep until they literally fall apart.
Still think there is a lot in the area chosen. Also if people want the coast or inland, lot of factors to be taken into account.
Keep well
pwwm
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Hiya
I think it is slightly more where you are, but as you said you have added everything, mind you I save on hair cuts have a friend. I know someone your neck of the woods, loves it.
Re car, good thing here is that second hand cars seem to hold their value, (unless you are trying to buy one) but we bought ours over and will keep until they literally fall apart.
Still think there is a lot in the area chosen. Also if people want the coast or inland, lot of factors to be taken into account.
Keep well
pwwm
I so want to get out to Spain.Had my house 4 years but do not visit it much as my hubby works long hours.I put £160 a month spending as I thought having free time we would spend more.I currently do not go out here much at all.But I bet in Spain I would.Have the odd drink in a bar, the odd meal here and there etc.I would not mind living inland but my hubby said he does not want to.He may have to change his mind as we do not have enough savings to keep up with inflation so we would either need part time jobs or move to a cheaper area with cheaper houses etc.How I miss Spain.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Racheal

What a breakdown I am impressed, Get out as soon as you can, sooooo much more relaxing as I am sure you know. I feel the "pressure" when in the UK, so many taxes to pay etc, and the price of fuel as you know we pay in cents what Brits pay in pennies.

But as you know we could go on re cost of living here and back in UK. Sounds like you are ready to come over full time asap.

All the best
pwwm
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Hi Racheal

What a breakdown I am impressed, Get out as soon as you can, sooooo much more relaxing as I am sure you know. I feel the "pressure" when in the UK, so many taxes to pay etc, and the price of fuel as you know we pay in cents what Brits pay in pennies.

But as you know we could go on re cost of living here and back in UK. Sounds like you are ready to come over full time asap.

All the best
pwwm

We are similar in many ways to Rachel and her hubby. Can bring about £10k to £12k pa with us for a family of 3. Likewise we want to live off the coast to maximise our money.

Good luck

Graham & Pauline
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gray C
We are similar in many ways to Rachel and her hubby. Can bring about £10k to £12k pa with us for a family of 3. Likewise we want to live off the coast to maximise our money.

Good luck

Graham & Pauline
We will just about have enough income from our savings to get by.But my hubby keeps going on about inflation and how the spending power of our savings will go down.He says we have to put a certain ammount back into the pot to stop our pot devaluing over the years.We would not have any free cash to put back into the pot and the pot would devalue.Anyone need a cleaner or gardener? ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.