GCSEs

Old May 8th 2022, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Miasuqu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GCSEs

Hi All - due to a number of reasons we are moving to Spain in time for UK school year 11 (GCSE exam year)
Has anyone had experience moving a child at the start of year 11?
Looking at all the British School options they all offer IGCSE - has anyone had to switch to these exams?
The only option I could find was distance learning to continue with GCSEs - not an option I really want to go down if possible.
Looking for experiences from others
Thanks All
Old May 8th 2022, 11:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GCSEs

Originally Posted by Miasuqu
Hi All - due to a number of reasons we are moving to Spain in time for UK school year 11 (GCSE exam year)
Looking at all the British School options they all offer IGCSE - has anyone had to switch to these exams?
The only option I could find was distance learning to continue with GCSEs - not an option I really want to go down if possible.
Thanks All
Is there no one in the UK that your child can stay with for Year 11?
Old May 8th 2022, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miasuqu
Thanks All
I m sure that the international schools in the Alicante area offer GCSEs the same as in England. Having said that the IGCSEs carry exactly the same weight as GCSE. I dont think there is any need to worry and I would try and avoid online unless totally necessary. One thing to be aware of is that in 2026 UK nationals living in EU will no longer be counted as home students so if they return to UK they will have to live there for 3 years ( without funded full time education) to pay UK tuition fee or else they will be like UK kids from Australia or USA where despite having British passports are counted as International students which means considerably higher fees. Something to keep in mind if you are putting your kids through the Engish educational system but living abroad
Old May 8th 2022, 11:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
That's a bit tough on a 15 year old to be separated from family, isn't it?
Old May 8th 2022, 1:35 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ronnyone
but then it's even tougher moving to a foreign country at that age - school, friends, hormones etc.
Old May 8th 2022, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But a good idea if the OP doesn't want his/her education disrupted at a fairly crucial time. I have a Year 10 who'll be doing his GCSE's next year, and we've delayed our move for that very reason - iGCSE's and GCSE's have different content so it would be really tough for my son to move just ahead of mock iGCSE's, having been doing GCSE's for the 2 years previously.
Old May 9th 2022, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Kayann is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking as a retired teacher, if there is any way you can delay your move, that would be my advice. IGCSE is different and is considered more demanding. In UK many (top) private schools choose IGCSE because it offers more of a challenge to their pupils. All the best with your move, whenever it happens.
Old May 9th 2022, 2:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Originally Posted by snikpoh
but then it's even tougher moving to a foreign country at that age - school, friends, hormones etc.
Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But a good idea if the OP doesn't want his/her education disrupted at a fairly crucial time. I have a Year 10 who'll be doing his GCSE's next year, and we've delayed our move for that very reason - .....
Originally Posted by Kayann
Speaking as a retired teacher, if there is any way you can delay your move, that would be my advice. .....
I agree with all of the above - moving a child internationally at that point in their life is a terrible idea for both educational and social reasons. .... And per GCSE's even if you were to find a school offering a perfect match of subjects, there is no guarantee that they would be studying the subjects in the same order over the two year course, or studying the same curriculum options, such at the same books in Eng Lit.
Old May 9th 2022, 5:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the child and the family, and to an extent on the long term goals. Its only Spain, so they wouldn't be a million miles apart, and could reunite at halfterm, school holidays and possibly even in between.

I am speaking as someone who went into digs at the age of 15 due to my parents moving house. I knew that moving schools at that point would destroy my confidence, and thus my exam chances. I had the best time of my life for the next 3 years, and passed O levels and A Levels en route. My sister, a year younger, had to move schools and leave all her friends, loathed it and failed nearly everything.

Think how many kids go to boarding school and don't see family for months on end - at a much lower age of 15.
Old May 10th 2022, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Boarding is not a bad option in this scenario. My son did his GCSE's in Campbell College as a boarder in Belfast and it was an amazing experience for him. Prior to that he was studying for IB and wasn't doing so well so he asked if he could go to a British boarding school. He improved no end and it taught him a lot socially, as well as how to study properly. He didn't end up sitting the GCSE's due to Covid but he passed with good grades and decided to come to Spain last year to do his A levels. Had it not been for the great unknown of Covid he would have stayed there for his A levels.

The downside was from our point of view. We saw him less and his schedule was so busy we had to book time for calls with him right up until they were given the choice of returning home for remote learning or doing the same isolated in their rooms at school, we chose the former. Moving forward we now end up with a bunch of teenagers from all over the world visiting him during school holidays and he has no qualms about going overseas to attend university.

Another option could be to drop back a year to start the iGCSE from scratch. Practice makes perfect.
Old May 10th 2022, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

As a boarder myself there is no way I would send my kid away to boarding school. Let's put it like this: One old teacher in jail! The constant smell of linseed oil. Bullying. Privileged elite.!
Old May 10th 2022, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

They've moved on a lot from the old days and I think you need to choose them wisely. He thoroughly enjoyed it and didn't suffer any bullying. As for the elite, some of them had money and some were spoilt but this particular school kept them grounded. I've seen much worse in other international day schools.
Old May 11th 2022, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

TandD2017 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any school offering GCSE or iGCSE will have taught content in a different order. Even if you moved a pupil from one school to another within the same country and even if the 2 schools taught the same exam board it will have consequences. Some private schools may insist a pupil repeats year 10 for this reason. Teachers do not have to teach content in any specific order and it varies between schools. Not much help I know but a reality I am afraid.
Old May 12th 2022, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd not move a child to another country at that age and so near exams, think of the child and wait, Spain will still be there after the exams then move and let a private school look after the youngsters 'A' levels.

Not sure of the time period but after a while the youngster will be classed as an overseas student and you pay all uni fees in the UK.
Old May 12th 2022, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I'd not move a child to another country at that age and so near exams, think of the child and wait, Spain will still be there after the exams then move and let a private school look after the youngsters 'A' levels.

Not sure of the time period but after a while the youngster will be classed as an overseas student and you pay all uni fees in the UK.
2026 I think is when UK nats living in EU will classed as overseas students. The same as those in USA and Australia.