Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Dec 15th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB pound weakening

Inflation falling - jury still out. Of course it will come down from Septembers highs - Gordon the moron has cut interest rates so no other possible outcome in the short term. Wages still rising _ yes for those who still have a job - in the public sector yes - in the private sector many talking about cutting in nominal as well as real terms. Bargains in the shops? Went round House of Fraser, Fenwicks etc at the weekend and they had simply done the usual shop con - a few headline reductions and bought in loads of cheap tat to sell at inflated prices of "50 percent off".
Yes of course the pound will eventually rally against the EUro. Traders are like sheep - the trend is your friend, so when they have bashed sterling to parity or thereabouts they will need to cover their positions. So long as the Middle East dont take fright that should get the rally back.
Personally I do believe it will settle back to 120 even 1.30. But never discount the possibility of a politician making matters significantly worse.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

costaman16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Pound is 1.1168 this morning and Gordon is in the sunshine wanting our police to go and speak with a killer in India and for us the tax payer to give away 6 mil £ in Pakistan. We have a lot of problems in the UK at the moment and our PM is swanning off saving the world.The question of the day is who voted for him as Prime Minister? No wonder the Europeans do not understand the British
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

remind me again, did we actually elect Gordon as PM?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin
Slipped more
Attached Thumbnails GB pound weakening-ex.png  
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Slipped more
Thinking about maybe we shouldn't blame Gordo I think I may be responsible as from the day last Jan when I started paying for my euro mortgage in £ it's gone doooooooooooooooooownhill. Best laid plans and dreams of retirement in 2 years have gone with it.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:54 am
Just Joined

costaman16 is an unknown quantity at this point

I prefer to blame the man who starts work every morning with the words "Morning Darling" and then the two of them try and cock everything up between them. That is of course when he is in the country
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:30 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Slipped more
Hubby wants to know what the website is for the screen shot as he keeps a daily track of the rates and it has never been this low on his.

Is it a tourist rate? if so what bank is it connected to?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Hubby wants to know what the website is for the screen shot as he keeps a daily track of the rates and it has never been this low on his.

Is it a tourist rate? if so what bank is it connected to?
It`s a Firefox addon called Dcurrency info is from Yahoo Finance.
Attached Thumbnails GB pound weakening-exc2.png  
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I have mine set the other way around!

GB pound weakening-euro.jpg
Old Dec 15th 2008, 3:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yours looks a lot better Beachcomber
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:38 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look at this site, it may be of help to some of you.......

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...rency-exchange
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:43 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Havnt been here a while i know.

I just thought id put my 2 pence in, as someone who works in Gibraltar but lives in Spain.
The weak pound must be affecting british expats quite badly. Except the ones in Morrisons in Gibraltar the other day saying how great it was as everythings cheaper now in Gibraltar. But for us poor buggers who work in Gibraltar, I am now 300 - 400 euros a month worse off than I was this time last year. If it gets worse, i'm going to have to start thinking of other options.

Right now I'd love to get another job in Spain and earn euros. Im not too keen on Gibraltar as a place anyway (I've been spoilt with Marbella) but theres no I.T jobs down the coast what so ever. So what I have is the best I'm going to get if I'm going to stay living in Southern Spain.

I dont know any of the financial reasons for why the £ is as low as it is or whether its going to get better any time soon. But I just want to see it get better.. or for the UK to just switch over to the Euro completely. because then Gibraltar will follow suite, and then I can renegotiate my salary with my company.

The problem is, right now its not the companies problem that the pound is weak, so theres nothing I can do about it. I'm just lucky that i didnt burden myself with too many outgoings when the rate was 1.40€ to the £1 otherwise I wouldnt even be breaking even anymore and would be forced to take more drastic action. Right now im just having to cut back a lot. And I'm OK. But there aint much spare at the end of the month thats for sure.

Its also bad for visitors coming to spain now that they have to treat €1 as £1 makes the place rather expensive. Even fuel is more expensive in Spain now than it is in the UK!!!! Unbeliveable! Spain is no longer attractive what so ever whilst our income is in £££s.. which a lot of ex pats are living off rental income and pensions etc.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:56 am
Run Forrest, Run.....

Rocky Balboa is on a distinguished road

.92 spot now

I think things are getting pretty over done now, thats a 20% move in just 2 months .77p > .92p. That's a huge move by any standards. Unless there's a huge run on the pound I expect it to drop back into the mid 80's in the new year.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree it is overdone, but it does depend on the global attitude to still more UK debt. They already have loads of it, and Gordon has just reduced the value of it by one third.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

CazW54 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dunmovin
Since when did the UK electorate vote for a prime minister.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.