Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB pound weakening

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
I dont think it matters, the others are no better!

Jo
Well to some extent you are right... but if he did, after what TB and him have done and got away with... you think they have already taken us to the cleaners... then you would be in for a big surprise! because if they get in again, then apart from the fact they would not worry about what any of us thought... * because it obviously wouldn't make any difference anyway *, it would also destroy what faith I have left in the British peoples sanity and common sense. Hopefully what is happening now will waken people up!

If the cons got in then they would hopefully make an effort * I said hopefully *, they would really need to make some big changes in our favor within 4 years or they would be out again, unfortunately as bigglesworth mentions they would be right up against it from the start because of the financial damage cause by labour and this will make things a lot harder for them as they will be fighting this all the way. Then again, labour screwed us financially the last time they where in power and the cons got us out of it, so hopefully they can again, problem is that peoples memories are so short I wonder how long it would be before we are checked back into the financial hands of these idiots or their successors. I would rather live with the problems caused by the Tories than the type of problems caused by Labour. Hopefully I would like to see them get to the bottom of the amount of money we are ripped off with by politicians 'UK and European', also * if we have to stay in Europe * then make it more accountable, have it pull it's socks up to look after us and get a grip on reality of the consequences of their actions or then consider the options on getting out... or giving us a vote on the whole thing... we need to be listened to, if we are not then we are only being run by dictators which is what Europe and British politics is becoming if not already become. Sadly many of our relations fought and died to fight against what Europe and our politicians now are, a lot of it wasn't that long ago either!
Old Mar 18th 2009, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livit
Well it could be worse.

Imagine if he used Zapatero`s policies
You can laugh, I am sure Zapatero bases himself on TB, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a photo of him on the wall could be the bathroom wall of course

Last edited by Econ; Mar 18th 2009 at 5:31 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they will swap jobs?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

1.09 today - 1.20 by the end of the summer.

Surprise surprise!! Consumer Price Index ROSE, to the astonishment of the supine idiots in the BBC. (How could it do anything else when sterling has been devalued so much?)

Merv the Swerve now admitting Gordon has broken the piggy bank, no more cash left.

The only way to stop inflation roaring is to raise interest rates. They will fight it but will have to do so by the autumn (too late of course).

There is simply no situation so dire that Government cannot make it worse. And boy are Gordon and the Morons proving that one true!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

At the same time as the Bank of England tries to trash the economy again,
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...nchflower.html

there is an interesting article on the impending collapse of the Euro

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...this-year.html
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
1.09 today - 1.20 by the end of the summer.

Surprise surprise!! Consumer Price Index ROSE, to the astonishment of the supine idiots in the BBC. (How could it do anything else when sterling has been devalued so much?)

Merv the Swerve now admitting Gordon has broken the piggy bank, no more cash left.

The only way to stop inflation roaring is to raise interest rates. They will fight it but will have to do so by the autumn (too late of course).

There is simply no situation so dire that Government cannot make it worse. And boy are Gordon and the Morons proving that one true!
Foreign Currencies Direct changed our sterling to euros yesterday and we got 1.0445 to the pound. In your opinion, is this a reasonable rate of exchange? I am only asking as we do not follow the markets on a daily basis and have previously considered changing currency brokers ...
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:56 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
Foreign Currencies Direct changed our sterling to euros yesterday and we got 1.0445 to the pound. In your opinion, is this a reasonable rate of exchange? I am only asking as we do not follow the markets on a daily basis and have previously considered changing currency brokers ...

you´d need a crystal ball to answer that one!!! It seems to be creeping up at the mo, but it could suddenly creep down again????????????????????

Jo x
Old Mar 24th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

The lowest I saw in the last couple of days was 1.0670. 2 pips off that isn't bad, depending on the amount you changed. Over 10K I would have thought closer to 1 pip would have done it, under 10K - well they do have costs to cover, smaller amounts are actually more costly for them than larger I would think. But I imagine they are all going to take their existing customers a bit for granted.

As I am not over yet, so not transferring on a regular basis, I cannot say for sure. Your best guide I would think is Anthonyhide who I think will be on later
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

Crown are offering 1.12 on dates 8/6/09 - 21/8/09
Any use?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
The lowest I saw in the last couple of days was 1.0670. 2 pips off that isn't bad, depending on the amount you changed. Over 10K I would have thought closer to 1 pip would have done it, under 10K - well they do have costs to cover, smaller amounts are actually more costly for them than larger I would think. But I imagine they are all going to take their existing customers a bit for granted.

As I am not over yet, so not transferring on a regular basis, I cannot say for sure. Your best guide I would think is Anthonyhide who I think will be on later
I am of the opinion that over a period of time new clients get a slightly better deal than existing ones.
I have changed the exchange I use several times & for the first few trades I am convinced the prices are more competitive
Old Mar 24th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

That does seem low, the pound has gone up a little today but Caxton are offering as we speak 1.072 on any amount purchased,may be more on a large sum ?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for your opinions. We transfer £1500 to Spain each month to pay mortgage/utilities etc. Unfortunately we live and work in UK and have two kids at University so can't lay our hands on any cash to buy in advance. It's a hand-to-mouth situation at the moment
I had my suspicions that it might be a good idea to switch brokers, as it is often the case with any financial product that the best rates are offered to new customers ... will check it out!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 5:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: GB pound weakening

Thanks everyone for your opinions. We transfer £1500 to Spain each month to pay mortgage/utilities etc. Unfortunately we live and work in UK and have two kids at University so can't lay our hands on any cash to buy in advance. It's a hand-to-mouth situation at the moment
I had my suspicions that it might be a good idea to switch brokers, as it is often the case with any financial product that the best rates are offered to new customers ... will check it out!
Have a look at 4xcurrency.com it is new and different but I have made a couple of trades with them at good rates. We have four exchange accounts 4x caxton Hi Fx and Moneycorp and I always check a couple before I trade. We got a special deal with Moneycorp at a show of no charges however small the amount and that usually wins for up to 2000 but for larger amounts 4x has been best.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by emsirrah
The prizes from Ernie are also going from bad to worse. We have 3 full sets and for the first time ever we have not had a beans this month. :curse:
At least we used to be able to rely on them for a few quid every month.
I see they have just cut the rate from 1.8% to 1% from Aprils draw and reduced the Million jackpot from 2 to 1..... they have swapped around the distribution of wins to the odds are the same but the pay outs are now a * lot * less from even the last few months.

The interest rate and odds for the last 12 months: (They where even cutting the interest rate when things where good!)

1 April 2009 1.00% 36,000 to 1
1 December 2008 1.80% 36,000 to 1
1 November 2008 2.85% 24,000 to 1
1 May 2008 3.40% 22,000 to 1
1 March 2008 3.60% 21,000 to 1
1 January 2008 3.80% 21,000 to 1

Last edited by Econ; Mar 24th 2009 at 8:51 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 7:52 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Just in case you don't understand how a "Government" program works, here is a perfect example:

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert.

The government said, "Someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person at £18,000 a year for the job.

Then the government said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions for £22,000, and one person to do time studies for an additional £22,000 per year.

Then the government said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly? So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies for £31,000 and one to write the reports for an additional £31,000 per year.

Then the government said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time keeper for £35,000 annual salary, and a payroll officer for an additional £35,000, then hired two people.

Then the government said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer at £155,000 per year, Assistant Administrative Officer £125,000, and a Legal Secretary for an additional £100,000 per year.

Then the government said, "We have had this operating for one year with a budget cost of £574,000.00 and we are £18,000 over budget. We must cutback overall cost."

So they laid off the night watchman.

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 28th 2009 at 8:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.