Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

GB pound weakening

GB pound weakening

Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:14 pm
YMF
Forum Regular

YMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to allYMF is a name known to all
Default Re: GB pound weakening

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Because of the weak pound we have started shopping in Gib and have found it cheaper, i.e. cheese at 1.99 for Irish mature cheddar, Mercadona at 4.80 euros. Fuel cheaper too.
But surely the cost of driving to Gib eats up any saving you make?
Old Jan 19th 2009, 5:50 pm
Keep smiling

Helpful-Bob will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by YMF
Perhaps they buy a lot on each visit...i.e fill the car fully up?
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that old Chinese curse -May you live in interesting times? Well we are cursed indeed.
S&P downgraded SPanish debt to AA+ yesterday, (Ireland got hit a bit earlier, and Greece Italy and Portugal are not far behind. Wait for some wiseacre to call them the P.I.G.S.
So... all looking at the collapse in sterling after Gordon and the Morons triumphant return from saving the world things MAY not turn out too awful, dependent on whether your income is sterling base or Euro based. Misery does after all love company. The Euro is getting so close to disintegration now that the ECB is going to HAVE to act. Either it forces absolutely massive unemployment on those 5 countries. And risk them leaving the Euro. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/c...for-Spain.html
Or for once it has to reform the rules to stop Germany calling the shots and then downvalue the Euro.
It is going to be a hairy old ride, and none of the above means I am any friendlier to the UK economy which Gordon and the Morons are desperately trying to turn in to a cross between a banana republic and Iceland.

Last edited by bigglesworth; Jan 20th 2009 at 4:10 pm. Reason: forgot hyperlink
Old Jan 20th 2009, 4:26 pm
Keep smiling

Helpful-Bob will become famous soon enough

I think that newspaper article sums up most of the problems with the Euro...
I've even heard that the germans are starting to hord their own euro notes and making sure they don't hold the notes of other member states....as you say interesting times.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

On the plus side of the current collapse of the pound is that that which I and others have been warning could happen - that the international markets will simply refuse to lend Gordon and the Morons any more money- has started. So gilt rates are 3.51 and for the first time in years -possibly ever- are above both CPI and RPI. And climbing!
So there is actually a real return on savings. CPI dropped to 3.1 and RPI to 0.9 in December. RPI includes much of the cost of money, so the cuts in interest rates affected it far more.
Old Jan 21st 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YMF
Not really we try to tie it in with flights to and from Gib and share with neighbours who are also going. The savings are quite substantial, i.e. cheddar cheese loads of stuff much cheaper now.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:44 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We have been doing a monthly shop in Gib for a while. I take two coolboxes. Share journey with a friend. Savings are substantial and quality and choice is much better.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

iant will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Helpful-Bob
I've even heard that the germans are starting to hord their own euro notes and making sure they don't hold the notes of other member states....as you say interesting times.
FYI are no "own notes" for the different denominations of Euros, its only the coins that are specific to each Euro zone member. I can't see even the Germans hording millions of coins!
Yet another piece of knocking the Euro propaganda ?
iant
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helpful-Bob
This reminded me of ...... Scottish money. (Warning some naughty words)

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

I was surprised when we arrive back in UK went to Morrisons and found that there was a strong similarity between Morrisons prices in UK and Gib. Even to those for fruit which seemed rediculous when it was so much cheaper in Spain.

Jim
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Interesting article Worth a read.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/f...-Sterling.html

Jim
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not sure you are right there Iant. National debt is guaranteed individually by each country, which is why Greek Spanish Italian debt is as much as 200 basis points higher than German or Dutch. It wouldn't happen if the notes in circulation were divorced from the money supply surely?
They are printed in individual member states, and there is a code (I am told) indicating which state printed them. I certainly have German friends who believe they are hoarding the ones issued in Germany.
Whether the fact that they are printed in Germany means the Bundesbank will honour them and them alone - well let us for God's sake hope we never find out!
As to the problems with the Euro, pointing out that the Euro, whilst working as a store of value, is nevertheless malfunctioning in its Treasury role is recognising a fact. The important point is that that imbalance WILL be corrected.
It can be done in several ways. Voluntarily with member states ceding control of national treasuries money supply etc to the ECB. The ECB continuing to run a monetary and fiscal policy tailored to the restructuring and integration of what was the East German economy into/with Western Germany. With all the massive unemployment that that implies for Spain, Italy, Greece, Portugal (and Ireland) etc. In which case you ain't seen nothing yet.
Or it can recognise the risks that that poses for European unity and introduce enough flexibility into the system to allow Club Med economies to devalue some of the problem away. Which would return the Euro Sterling rate to something less painful for BE members.
Or the ECB can stick its head in the sand, and the Club Med economies, already facing riots, will withdraw from the Euro. Which again would bring the peseta to a reasonable level.

Two good options out of three isn't bad is it?
So although the markets are still slamming the pound every time it sticks its head up, it should rally. Not in the short term perhaps but probably by the summer or the end of the year
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Enthusiast

emsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant futureemsirrah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
I was surprised when we arrive back in UK went to Morrisons and found that there was a strong similarity between Morrisons prices in UK and Gib. Even to those for fruit which seemed rediculous when it was so much cheaper in Spain.

Jim
If Morrisons in UK are buying fruit and veg and anything else from Spain or other Euro countries they will be paying 1/3 more for it than this time last year and passing on the cost to the customers.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

A good article in the Times this morning

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5576686.ece
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:47 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
A good article in the Times this morning

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle5576686.ece

Excellent article.
Basically the guy who claimed to have put an end to the boom and bust cycle has allowed and helped create the biggest boom and bust disaster in history.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.