Gas inspection

Old Apr 25th 2022, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

softlad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas inspection

I've just had my 5 year gas inspection (the bottled stuff) carried out by Repsol. I paid my €60 and everything was fine with the cooker, boiler etc but they won't sign it off as the tube and pipe are not as accesible as needs be. I was advised by the Repsol bloke to get a gas fitter in to change things under the sink so he can come back and give it the thumbs up.

Just a few questions. Firstly what happens if I decide not to bother? I'm confident that everything is 100% safe, by the way. Is there any sanction or fine if I just don't bother? Secondly, why don't Repsol do the work themselves? Seems a very long winded way of doing things (stop laughing at the back). Finally, my third question is whether I should have gone to a different company who do the gas inspection and any work needed to sign it off? Is that a possibility? For information, I'm in Madrid. Thanks, folks.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 12:42 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas inspection

I saw a house completely destroyed and his neighbours due to a gas leak.

The flexible pipe has an expiry date, I would not risk it.

When I last had a boiler inspection in UK. British Gas condemned the installation and cut the gas - all because the vent pipe was too low. He said someone could reach up and touch it and may get burned if it was hot!

Old Apr 26th 2022, 4:30 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
I saw a house completely destroyed and his neighbours due to a gas leak.

The flexible pipe has an expiry date, I would not risk it.

When I last had a boiler inspection in UK. British Gas condemned the installation and cut the gas - all because the vent pipe was too low. He said someone could reach up and touch it and may get burned if it was hot!
I believe that you will void your insurance policy if the installation isn't approved and hence you are fully liable for damage to your place and neighbours.

In fact for that reason a few years back, to save the hassle/cost of the inspections and the standing charges, we swapped out the gas boiler for a electric cylinder boiler (unvented = hot showers at mains pressure). No more gas....

Of course in recent months electricity prices have gone crazy, but we won't change back....

Jon
Old Apr 26th 2022, 4:49 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by softlad
Secondly, why don't Repsol do the work themselves? Seems a very long winded way of doing things (stop laughing at the back).
To avoid conflicts of interest and whatnot (i.e. grifting) in Catalona the gas technician is not paid when they visit (you are charged from your bank account) and they don't do any work on your installation, they just check, advise, and maybe disable it. Then it's up to you to find someone to get the any changes done if they required.

Sounds like Madrid is similar but not exactly the same.
Old Apr 26th 2022, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Gas prices have gone crazy too! Last winter around 14€ now 19€ (Repsol butano) I still use it for cooking and it does last ages. I changed to an electric water heater when I had the kitchen reformed and I am glad I did.
Old Apr 27th 2022, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

softlad is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that all that info. Makes things a bit clearer. I'll contact a gas fitter in the local area and get them to call round. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for all the replies, folks.