Gas Heaters

Old Oct 25th 2016, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas Heaters

I need to replace our Gas Heater (bottle gas). Having looked in Leroy Merlin etc, can anyone offer any advice on the main types. Our old one is a bog standard catalytic type. When we bought it 10 years ago that seemed to be the main choice.

I now notice that there are also Radiant types and also Blue Flame types (which don't seem to look any different from the old catalytic ones).

I'm attracted to the Radiant ones because it's nice to see a warm glow.

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.
Old Oct 26th 2016, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Heaters

Can't see how it matters what type you get provided that you still get the same calorific value from the gas you burn, and you are happy looking at what flame you see ( if any) We will also be on the look out for one shortly. People give out all sorts of scares about the amount of water they release. I have done all the calculations ( I used to teach Chemistry) Given our dry climate, and for the relatively short time they are used I can't see any problems. If you use it in the house, I would strongly recommend that you get a carbon monoxide detector. Keep us informed about your choice ( and how much)
Pete
Old Oct 27th 2016, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Can't see how it matters what type you get provided that you still get the same calorific value from the gas you burn, and you are happy looking at what flame you see ( if any) We will also be on the look out for one shortly. People give out all sorts of scares about the amount of water they release. I have done all the calculations ( I used to teach Chemistry) Given our dry climate, and for the relatively short time they are used I can't see any problems. If you use it in the house, I would strongly recommend that you get a carbon monoxide detector. Keep us informed about your choice ( and how much)
Pete
Will do - thanks.

BTW these days they are advertised as LOW CO or Anti CO.
So is carbon monoxide still a risk with them ?
Old Oct 27th 2016, 9:07 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
Will do - thanks.

BTW these days they are advertised as LOW CO or Anti CO.
So is carbon monoxide still a risk with them ?
Yes if they are not burning properly or the room has insufficient ventilation, which is just the same in any type of gas heater. I always used catalytic one when we were in Spain.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The older radiant ones where you see the flame on the white blocks do produce more heat. The catalytic of which I believe blue flame is a version burn cleaner but give off a little less heat.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

If you like a traditional looking flame stove heater look at this one, however not sure how readily available they are in Spain.

https://www.calor.co.uk/provence-portable-gas-heater.html