Gas engineer

Old Jul 21st 2016, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Kath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to allKath Las Colinas is a name known to all
Default Re: Gas engineer

Can anyone recommend someone or is it better just to contact the gas company?
Old Jul 21st 2016, 7:03 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath Las Colinas
Can anyone recommend someone or is it better just to contact the gas company?
I would recommended the gas co. You know the engineer is fully qualified, and you can be 100% sure that you are covered by the insurance... Also it goes on your bill.

Jon
Old Apr 6th 2017, 9:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Good point, thanks Fiberite .. I guess if I do the first heat up at night it will just need a sort of 'trickle charge'.

Jon

UPDATE

Hi Finally got a 'round tuit' and had the electric boiler installed by Francisco, a couple of weeks ago, he also called the gasco to cancel the contract. I also went down and with our caretaker and switched off the gas main and took a photo of the meter reading. Just to be sure.

Francisco strongly recommended a time switch, but I didnt do that. I have one at home and think I will bring it over next time.

I understand the argument that a well insulated boiler probably wont use more energy when always on, than having a periodic time-switch pumping in energy to bring water up to heat.

But I think I will use the timer heating at night when there is no other drain.... and then also reduce the potencia, just in case there is a time when say Ive had a shower and it takes electricity to heat up the boiler... and (e.g) the BH puts the kettle on whilst having something baking in the oven.

This way we have killed the gas standing charge, and later will reduce the electricity standing charge as well. Also have no issues with gas leaks, statutory gas safety checks, safety etc etc.

Note we had a 75/80 Litre installed. We have a (lovely for me) high flow rate water supply. On the Eco setting we've 6 minutes hot water on full force (which can be turned down and still have a good shower). We debated 100 litres, but Francisco (and the forum comments) took us to 80L. Also our walls are not that good, and I wanted to reduce the stress on the bolts into the wall. Based on our 9 years here, the 80L would have handled every situation we have had with guests. Also its installed vertically giving us room on the side to access the windows we have placed and mozzie nets in the outside 'laundry room'

If you regularly have more than 4 people in winter, I would go for the horizontally mounted 100L - but thats just my supposition. Till now we havent had 6 people here in winter

Francisco told me to put it up to maximum minus a little turn. Just over 10 mins on full power. More than enough for us 2. He called the boiler company and they said to put it to max. I reckon that will do 4 showers in mid winter, non stop on max. We have it at around 90% of max and its fine, with a full power shower for us both.

BUT without the timer it is plugged in permanently and certainly on Max setting there is a possibility that the safety valve will leak some water. The pressurised water in the tank is HOT on max (beware when using the sinks) We had this problem, and Francisco returned and attached a pipe. I have it going to a water bottle and check every couple of days and if there is water in it - I put it on the plants. Recommend you do it upfront with the installation (timer or not - just in case)

I will buy a thermostatic mixer next week, to make it easier to manage the flow ( the Fadesa taps are not good) also to stop the temperature changes, when someone opens a tap when another is showering. I heard you can get them for around 40Eur+ at Leroys, and its a standard fitting and easy to change.

Thanks again for all the help on this and as you can see I acted on it

Cheers, Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 6th 2017 at 9:55 am.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Roughly what was the overall cost of this conversion ?
Thanks
Old Apr 7th 2017, 11:29 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Cptnemo
Hi
Roughly what was the overall cost of this conversion ?
Thanks
On the thread we have people who did it DIY... scroll up for prices. For a good quality boiler it depends on what one you choose. You can buy them at Leroy.. also at the little electric shop across from the Post Office.

Perhaps at the other electrical shops. They will have an installation service. I suspect that this will be the cheapest option. Guessing for around 225-250. BUT.... I caution that you get a proper installation - these things are heavy. 1L of water = 1KG.

With Francisco - all-in around 300Eur. Perhaps I could have gotten it down a bit if I negotiated - I don't know. His installation was very secure, he used 2 long threaded rods onto the brickwork with a steel/brass expansion 'rawlplug'... and 2 other fixings - when he explained all this and with the positive feedback on the forum I went for it. He also speaks English.

Hope this helps

Jon
Old Apr 8th 2017, 8:20 am
Forum Regular

Cptnemo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes it does - Thanks a lot