Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gas Check - Is it a scam?

Gas Check - Is it a scam?

Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gas Check - Is it a scam?

Just had two men around purporting to be authorised by the Junta de Andalucia checking the gas bottles. They said that this had to be done every four to five years and that our pipe and regulator were out of date. We haven´t been in the house for three years and the markings on the pipe say 2008 so I was suspicious. They then wanted 97 euros to change the pipe and regulator and issue a new certificate. This seems like a lot of money. When I said not now but return in a few days as I had no money they got funny and told me to go to the bank!!! Am I wrong to be suspicious? The company name is Complementos del Gas, S.L. in Puerto de Sta. Maria (Cadiz)
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:45 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Gas Check - Is it a scam?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Just had two men around purporting to be authorised by the Junta de Andalucia checking the gas bottles. They said that this had to be done every four to five years and that our pipe and regulator were out of date. We haven´t been in the house for three years and the markings on the pipe say 2008 so I was suspicious. They then wanted 97 euros to change the pipe and regulator and issue a new certificate. This seems like a lot of money. When I said not now but return in a few days as I had no money they got funny and told me to go to the bank!!! Am I wrong to be suspicious? The company name is Complementos del Gas, S.L. in Puerto de Sta. Maria (Cadiz)

Hi Chiclanagirl

I think our company is in Chiclana, stay with me and I will rush and check the papers, when we bought 4 years ago we had them in to issue the contract and they told us that is every 4 to 5 years but they said there is a lot of scams so if any one came knocking not to let them in unless they show the proper gas co, ID and if still not sure ring up. I will get the papers and be back
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:51 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

It's a scam, been going on for years. You can change the hose and regulator yourself, they only cost a few euros in the shops.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:54 pm
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

Originally Posted by jackytoo
It's a scam, been going on for years. You can change the hose and regulator yourself, they only cost a few euros in the shops.
:curse: Buggers
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:54 pm
What mysterious smile?

La Joconde is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct it is a Scam, had the same thing happened to me (like you saw through it!).

Inspections only happen at the time of the installation by a certified person who does issue a certificate. Normally the builder makes the arrangements for this inspection for a new property.

You can make personal requests by ringing the Gas company to have an inspection carried out which is done by appointment only.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:55 pm
I have a member

Keri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really niceKeri2323 is just really nice

Originally Posted by La Joconde
You are correct it is a Scam, had the same thing happened to me (like you saw through it!).

Inspections only happen at the time of the installation by a certified person who does issue a certificate. Normally the builder makes the arrangements for this inspection for a new property.

You can make personal requests by ringing the Gas company to have an inspection carried out which is done by appointment only.
When they come back in a couple of days, make sure the police are with you
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Kyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really niceKyla is just really nice

Originally Posted by La Joconde

The swines! :curse:
Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:59 pm

Hi me again

Right I have papers, on the certificado de revision de instalacion de gas it says
Butano Chiclana S.L
Agente Distribuidor no.1.115/4
Repsol Butano S.A

phone numbers given 956401802 = 956402114 now the rep that came to us was called. Antonio Sanchez, Empresa Instaladore de Gas Butano,
Sagasta 13
telfs. 400214 chiclana

if this makes sense The office we should go to for rregistrationis over the other side of the river. If you go into town, do you know where the football ground is if so, park you car there and on the same side of the road as the ground walking back toward the footbridge you will see a large building and it will say Repsol - Butano on the sign I think it is on the 1st floor. Anyway that's the office is if in doubt maybe you can get in touch with them.

If this makes no sense to you them PM and I will give you my phone number so I can explain it.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They wont return, its a scam. just tell them no you are renting and they go or just phone the police while they listen.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

mmmmmm now a few weeks ago I had a "letter" from the town hall, not in an envelope and it looked like a photo copy actually, saying about a gas inspection so I have been waiting for someone to be knocking on my door

but now I dont think I will let them in if they do turn up :curse:

Last edited by spain; Apr 17th 2007 at 3:19 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:04 pm
I have a member

Originally Posted by spain
mmmmmm now a few weeks ago I had a "letter" not in an envelope and it looked like a photo copy actually saying about a gas inspection so I have been waiting for someone to be knocking on my door

but now I dont think I will let them in if they do turn up :curse:
Oohhh clever :curse: Buggers again
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi me again

Right I have papers, on the certificado de revision de instalacion de gas it says
Butano Chiclana S.L
Agente Distribuidor no.1.115/4
Repsol Butano S.A

phone numbers given 956401802 = 956402114 now the rep that came to us was called. Antonio Sanchez, Empresa Instaladore de Gas Butano,
Sagasta 13
telfs. 400214 chiclana

if this makes sense The office we should go to for rregistrationis over the other side of the river. If you go into town, do you know where the football ground is if so, park you car there and on the same side of the road as the ground walking back toward the footbridge you will see a large building and it will say Repsol - Butano on the sign I think it is on the 1st floor. Anyway that's the office is if in doubt maybe you can get in touch with them.

If this makes no sense to you them PM and I will give you my phone number so I can explain it.

Thanks for that. Do they also deal with the silver butano bottles?

After posting my neighbour down the road called me to say they were with her and had already started taking hers to bits and she had given them her passport number and name. So I went down and told them to bugger off. I think they called me a few choice names but they went.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:00 pm

After posting my neighbour down the road called me to say they were with her and had already started taking hers to bits and she had given them her passport number and name. So I went down and told them to bugger off. I think they called me a few choice names but they went.
Don'y know about silver ones, we have orange. You must have had a contract when you got your first bottles and this would have a number on, if not where do you get your gas from they may have a phone number you could ring. I'm sure it is a scam because I don't think the man would have gone without more fuss and they all have mobile phones, I sure they would have phoned the office in front of you to tell them of the troubles.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

They rip anybody off regardless of colour bottle ;-)
The hoses are stamped with a date and have to be replaced before that to cover you insurance wise.
You can buy valves and hose at most diy shops quite cheap and do it yourself if you can handle a screwdriver.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
They rip anybody off regardless of colour bottle ;-)
The hoses are stamped with a date and have to be replaced before that to cover you insurance wise.
You can buy valves and hose at most diy shops quite cheap and do it yourself if you can handle a screwdriver.
Checked the date on the hose and it ws November 2008. He tried to tell me it only had seven months to run so needed replacing......ugh. Tell you what it does improve your Spanish arguing with them. We never had a certificate in the first place so do need to get one. Kept going back to the Kitchen shop where we got the bottles from but gave up in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.