Reload this Page >

Gas bottles for BBQs

Gas bottles for BBQs

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Alskals is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gas bottles for BBQs

Hi Everyone

I am thinking of bringing over a gas bbq from England and was wondering if it is easy to buy the gas bottles as I have read that you need all sorts of ID etc., and it takes 2 weeks to get approved and then you can 't transport them in your car! Is this the case, or can I just go to the garage and buy a bottle to get refilled?

Also, can I get propane and what is it called in Spanish?

I am very grateful for any replies, thanks very much!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas bottles for BBQs

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

We just go to the garage and swop an empty bottle for a full one, never had any issues
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your fast reply Tolly. I read on the internet to get hold of the gas bottle to start with is the problem. Once you have a bottle, they are easy to swap but you have to apply to get one to start with. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thank you!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask why bring BBQ from UK? they have them here as well lol Repsol may get you to fill in a form, do you have an NIE number? they will ask for it, we filled the form in and walked away with a bottle, this was Repsol, the others we get from another bloke that delivers the aluminium bottles, didnt fill anything in for him. Repsol are steel and very heavy though have heard they are chaanging to ally.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Officially you should go the route of filling in the form and getting a contract but....lots of garages will sell you one, and if you ask around in your local bars you will easily find someone wanting to sell theirs!
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Officially you should go the route of filling in the form and getting a contract but....lots of garages will sell you one, and if you ask around in your local bars you will easily find someone wanting to sell theirs!
how much do they sell for ?....I've got 4 bottles round the side of my house which may be a little OTT since the only thing I have gas for is my hob, was just going to leave 3 at the garage next time I go there
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EllisG
how much do they sell for ?....I've got 4 bottles round the side of my house which may be a little OTT since the only thing I have gas for is my hob, was just going to leave 3 at the garage next time I go there
I wanted a spare for my bbq & bought a full one from a friend for 25€ - a refill costs over 16€ now

I don't know how much a new one costs direct from the supplier - probably less, but this was just easier for me at the time
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I bought 2 from the Repsol man when he changed my empty for a full one. The price per bottle at the time was 15.20 I think I was charged 5 for the bottle and the 15 something for the gas. So purchase price for 2 extra was 18 odd a bottle.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:40 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

You sometimes see them at car boots/rastros - about 10 Euros I think.

Propane is propano. Repsol gas (in orange bombonas) is butano - don't know if you can get propano. Our gas BBQ works with either.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am overwhelmed with offers with a simple wanted in the classifieds. 10 - 15€ for an empty. It's currently 16.45 for a recharged one.
Repsol will give either Propane or Butane in exchange.
The Cepsa aluminimum bottles won't fit my BBQ.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 9:47 am
Just Joined

thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. I am still trying to 'nail down' what I will need to do to get the first gas bottle. My situation is that we are not residents in Spain but I think my parents do have an NIE number (but they don't live there either). Can I use their NIE number? I will be holidaying there (Mijas-Costa) and want to sort out a BBQ but wonder if I will be able to buy a gas bottle? I could find a flea market I suppose but it is a bit hit and miss as I only have a short time. This is a trivial matter, I know, but any help would be so appreciated. Thanks, Karen
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a couple of years ago now we don't live permanent in Spain but do have NIE. We just went to the garage signed a form not sure if they checked passport or NIE, paid a deposit for the bottle I don't think it was much 10 euro rings a bell an then paid for a full bottle which was 13 Euro at the time. Now we just change them at the garage or when the gas van visits the village. It was a very easy thing to do and I remember thinking it was not much if any dearer than buying an empty one at a car boot plus you have the agreement should you wish to return and collect your deposit at some point.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 11:19 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alskals
thanks for the replies, they are very helpful. I am still trying to 'nail down' what I will need to do to get the first gas bottle. My situation is that we are not residents in Spain but I think my parents do have an NIE number (but they don't live there either). Can I use their NIE number? I will be holidaying there (Mijas-Costa) and want to sort out a BBQ but wonder if I will be able to buy a gas bottle? I could find a flea market I suppose but it is a bit hit and miss as I only have a short time. This is a trivial matter, I know, but any help would be so appreciated. Thanks, Karen

'Round here empty bottles are 5 euros each.

Get hold of one, go to a repsol garage and there will be no questions asked.

If you can't find an empty one, then the process is slightly more messy and depends a lot on your level of Spanish and/or the person your talking to
Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

larryX is an unknown quantity at this point

You can buy a bottle from a boot fair, 15 euros for an empty one is what I have paid several times, and then exchange it for a full one either at Repsol garages or the delivery drivers.

Or if its just for BBQ on a holiday basis, you could buy a blue Camping Gaz (stands about 12 inches high) from a hardware shop. Of course you would need the appropriate regulator, You don't need a licence to them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.