Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

gardening tips wanted

gardening tips wanted

Old Apr 2nd 2007, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough
Default gardening tips wanted

Hi,

I'm a complete beginner when it comes to gardening.

We have just moved into our new apartment which has several, very large, deep areas for planting.

I particular like flowering plants like Geraniums and eventually would like some trailing Bouganvillia.

My main priority is to have simple, easy to care for outdoor plants that love the sun and don't need much maintenance.

I would also like to grow some herbs on one of the upper terraces.

Any suggestions from our green fingered members?
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gardening tips wanted

Hi, Not very good at gardening, but went to good garden centre on Saturday, on road from Fuengirola to Coin, Casa Las Flores, Carretera MA-426 KM 14, Fuengirola, Alhourin El Grande, 29120. Telephone 952 112 132. It is quite a way up from Fuengirola, almost in Alhourin,on the left hand sid on sharp bend, really big, and everything you need. Bought geraniums and trailing petunias, as had them in pots last year, water like mad and "dead head" them and they just keep flowering. Have tried to grow herbs, but not had much success, daughter has some in pots on balcony, they dry out very quick, but hers look fine.Good Luck
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:24 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunnysenorita
Hi,

We have just moved into our new apartment which has several, very large, deep areas for planting.

I particular like flowering plants like Geraniums and eventually would like some trailing Bouganvillia.

My main priority is to have simple, easy to care for outdoor plants that love the sun and don't need much maintenance.

Look at local garden centres. Lantana are very good and will stand the heat and dryness, all cacti, and you can grow hundreds, bourgainvillia will do OK in a large pot, Ipomea, especially the perennial one, Hardenbergia for spring colour, jasmine, not winter flowering which is called amarillo here, will give you wonderful scent. Watch out for the geranium moth, will decimate them if you don't spray regularly. Herbs will be OK, and many people also grow tomatoes on their terraces. Really depends oin where in Spain you are, here on the South Coast we don't get frosts, so can grow pretty much anything, but in the height of summer they need very regular watering, so many people have automatic watering systems.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 3:42 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

If you have deep beds then get a bit creative.

I take it they are constructed beds? If so, line them in some plastic, then puncture the plastic, it will drain so much slower and give them some vital moisture at the bottom, the harder plants have to work for their nutrients and water the more spectacular the flowers.

Then think of something you like, Bougainvillea would be good, but again, make it work hard, then you could underplant it with lower plants or herbs, rosemary would love the restrictive environment, as would lavender.
If you have the space try something like Canna indica it loves full sun and can be underplanted with something like Chlorophytum elatum or Geraniums.

I would try and grow some fruits along there, Actinidia deliciosa has stunning flowers and the bonus of Kiwis if you are careful.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:15 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

I take it they are constructed beds? If so, line them in some plastic, then puncture the plastic, it will drain so much slower and give them some vital moisture at the bottom, the harder plants have to work for their nutrients and water the more spectacular the flowers.

Then think of something you like, Bougainvillea would be good, but again, make it work hard, then you could underplant it with lower plants or herbs, rosemary would love the restrictive environment, as would lavender.
If you have the space try something like Canna indica it loves full sun and can be underplanted with something like Chlorophytum elatum or Geraniums.

I would try and grow some fruits along there, Actinidia deliciosa has stunning flowers and the bonus of Kiwis if you are careful.
Hmmmm a rugby playing Gardener , thats something you dont see everyday
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:27 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi sunnysenorita

the best way i feel to accomplish that dream garden is the way i intend to do it . not as technical as rugbymatts technical advice but am sure my way is best

Now lets analyse the problem of all that dirt and then the flowers ? gets in your finger nails ! weeds grow in there ? needs watering ? neighbours cat pays regular visits and leaves little presents ? Flowers need pruning ? flowers need debugging ? Wasps and bees buzz around all the time ? etc ..

Then you have to sit down and figure how big that pretty pink flowers gonna grow ? that blue flower how wide is it gonna spread , on and on it goes ? very stressful ?

What your after is that pretty garden low maintenance , that looks brilliant every day whatever the weather ?

BigPetes gardening tip is to line the tubs with plastic sheet fill them with shingle and poke plastic flowers in the shingle !!

Choose your coloured plastic to suit ,and wipe them down with a damp cloth if they get dirty ! and never have to worry ever again

More time for enjoying the pool and barbecue with less insects to swat as well a win win situation
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 9:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Hi sunnysenorita

the best way i feel to accomplish that dream garden is the way i intend to do it . not as technical as rugbymatts technical advice but am sure my way is best

Now lets analyse the problem of all that dirt and then the flowers ? gets in your finger nails ! weeds grow in there ? needs watering ? neighbours cat pays regular visits and leaves little presents ? Flowers need pruning ? flowers need debugging ? Wasps and bees buzz around all the time ? etc ..

Then you have to sit down and figure how big that pretty pink flowers gonna grow ? that blue flower how wide is it gonna spread , on and on it goes ? very stressful ?

What your after is that pretty garden low maintenance , that looks brilliant every day whatever the weather ?

BigPetes gardening tip is to line the tubs with plastic sheet fill them with shingle and poke plastic flowers in the shingle !!

Choose your coloured plastic to suit ,and wipe them down with a damp cloth if they get dirty ! and never have to worry ever again

More time for enjoying the pool and barbecue with less insects to swat as well a win win situation
How do you decide what colours to have?

Do they have to match your eyes?

Does this mean that you are not called green fingered but marigold fingered?

Rosemary
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
How do you decide what colours to have?

Do they have to match your eyes?

Does this mean that you are not called green fingered but marigold fingered?

Rosemary
Thats the plus Rosemary !! You choose the colours and if you want to change, just pull them out either respray them or put new in !!

maybe marigold yea

I dont know why more people dont go this route ? garden always immaculate

ps; a real good tip for saving the pennys !! If you want a red flower bed say to create that flora of red behind the white colour ! Then wait til `poppy day `drop a couple of pennies in the tin and take a 100 of them ,as like the lady said to me when she shook the tin and showed me the tray i said " How much are they ?" she said as much or as little as you like ! "Oh i said can i have 2 ?" she said " have as many as you like ! " Thats good of you i said and put me pound coin in " Easy as that ! so next year i will get loads ...

Last edited by Big Pete; Apr 2nd 2007 at 10:06 pm. Reason: ps added ..
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thats the plus Rosemary !! You choose the colours and if you want to change, just pull them out either respray them or put new in !!

maybe marigold yea

I dont know why more people dont go this route ? garden always immaculate

ps; a real good tip for saving the pennys !! If you want a red flower bed say to create that flora of red behind the white colour ! Then wait til `poppy day `drop a couple of pennies in the tin and take a 100 of them ,as like the lady said to me when she shook the tin and showed me the tray i said " How much are they ?" she said as much or as little as you like ! "Oh i said can i have 2 ?" she said " have as many as you like ! " Thats good of you i said and put me pound coin in " Easy as that ! so next year i will get loads ...
Now now you cannot be called a true skinflint unless you go around the skips and retrieve the plastic flowers, clean them up and maybe respray if they absolutley need it.

Rosemary
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:53 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: gardening tips wanted

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

I want to live in your garden Rugbymatt sounds great!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 11:55 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: gardening tips wanted

Hi sunnysenorita

Lol! That's cheating Big Pete!
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

sunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the roughsunnysenorita is a jewel in the rough

Many thanks for all your tips. I am looking forward to trying some of these out this weekend, I plan to visit the local garden centre.

Big Pete- hilarious but I think i'll stick to fresh.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 9:42 am

Many thanks for all your tips. I am looking forward to trying some of these out this weekend, I plan to visit the local garden centre.

Big Pete- hilarious but I think i'll stick to fresh.
We only have a roof terrace so everything has to be in pots but our lavendar and rosemary are positively thriving. Jasmine also seems to love the weather here. We have not had any success with our roses though.

Good luck with your planting, I think the main thing is to enjoy it.

Rosemary
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:28 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We only have a roof terrace so everything has to be in pots but our lavendar and rosemary are positively thriving. Jasmine also seems to love the weather here. We have not had any success with our roses though.

Good luck with your planting, I think the main thing is to enjoy it.

Rosemary
My rose is in a pot and has flowered regularly since I got it. was even in flower on Christmas day.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
My rose is in a pot and has flowered regularly since I got it. was even in flower on Christmas day.
I wonder what is going wrong for me then. Potted them as soon as we got them home and treating them kindly eg. sheltering them from the winds etc. Any suggestions on any extras they need if grown in a pot?

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.