Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gardening Books

Gardening Books

Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:43 am
Just Joined

the parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura about
Default Gardening Books

My husband and I will move to Sayalonga in Andalucia early next year and as we're keen gardeners I wanted to pick up a couple of books on what can and cannot be grown in the area. So far I've found only one book and it's out of stock. Any suggestions.
A friend mentioned that plants we would expect to flourish may not due to the soil, flies, pests etc. Just wanted some advice.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 7:51 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardening Books

You could check out the Free Beer Thread at the top of this page, there are a few "tips" there for gardening, or check out SANTANA BOOKS.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:17 am
Just Joined

the parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura aboutthe parkers has a spectacular aura about

Thank you so much....this is exactly what I waws looking for
Old Jul 1st 2009, 8:32 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the parkers
Of course you could also just ask...... I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Of course you could also just ask...... I'm pretty sure someone will be able to help.
Have a look on amazon or ebay for the book you want, someone maybe getting rid of one.

Look at the general area and what is growing wild, then have a look through something like the readers digest of plants and see what else is within the family and soil type.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Many thanks Jay
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

My husband and I will move to Sayalonga in Andalucia early next year and as we're keen gardeners I wanted to pick up a couple of books on what can and cannot be grown in the area. So far I've found only one book and it's out of stock. Any suggestions.
A friend mentioned that plants we would expect to flourish may not due to the soil, flies, pests etc. Just wanted some advice.
Maybe look in the Free beer thread at Matts contributions, then send him some karma. ;-))
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Maybe look in the Free beer thread at Matts contributions, then send him some karma. ;-))
he bribed you to say that, didn't he
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from the more obvious Mediterranean gardening books, I also use an American book - the Western Garden Book as it covers plants commonly found on the west coast of the USA where the climate is very similar.

It is particularly good for identification and also for preferred planting conditions - sun, shade etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sunset-Weste...6441788&sr=8-1
Old Jul 1st 2009, 9:57 am
Just Joined

I'm sat on a trading floor in a bank in London laughing at the threads coming through....There's a heat wave outside...Wimbledon is on today with Murray playing and I'm sat in here for a total of 12 hours without a break....Oh and it's going to rain at the weekend ! How I wont miss this country !! Many thanks for your responses.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Gardening Books

Clodagh and Dick Hanscombe who live on the northeren Costa Blanca have written some excellent gardening books I have "Your Garden in Spain" and it just right.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Clodagh and Dick Hanscombe who live on the northeren Costa Blanca have written some excellent gardening books I have "Your Garden in Spain" and it just right.
that's who I was trying to think of - they have a column in one of the free papers, too
Old Jul 1st 2009, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Thank you....I did try and get these from WH Smiths but they said they were out of stock with no plans to restock but I have managed to find them on the site "Sentana Books" although P+P doubles the cost so I'll see if I can buy them in Nerja next week.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really niceHondon Rock n Roll is just really nice

Thank you....I did try and get these from WH Smiths but they said they were out of stock with no plans to restock but I have managed to find them on the site "Sentana Books" although P+P doubles the cost so I'll see if I can buy them in Nerja next week.
If there is a Carrefour there they should have them. Another useful book is Mediterrean Garden Plants, as it shows a picture to identify each one and what type of climate they will grow in.
Old Jul 1st 2009, 2:01 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if it's any help....

I find loganberries and blackberries do well, but raspberries so far are pretty tasteless. Thorny hybrids like Tay and so on not worth it. The best blackberry is Himalayan giant, which seems to crop well, the berries are huge, good acidity and sugar, soft to the palate and without the fine brown flower remnants that make the others I have unpalatable.

We are on sandy soil. Cabbages seem to do well until the rabbits eat them, squash also, peas not so good. Beans yes, tomatoes yes and also peppers, both sweet and chilli. Sweet corn so far looks good, but the wind is a problem there. Radishes and onions yes, beetroot too, parsnips, well, so far very well. Garlic in abundance, melons looking good.

Aubergines stripped to the ground by colorado beetle, so won't bother with those again.

Pests similar to those in the UK (except the colorados, of course!)

God bless confidor and roundup say I!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.