Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gardening Advice

Gardening Advice

Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:43 am
JnK
BE Enthusiast

JnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of lightJnK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Gardening Advice

Hi,
We are on the Costa Del Sol and doing a spot of gardening.
Can anyone advise the orange tree best grown for its scented blossom. A small variety(if Possible) would be better as we dont have much space, but love the smell of the blossom.
Thanks
Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice
Default Re: Gardening Advice

one of the nicest smells i think is "Dama De La Noche", can get quite large but is quite easy to look after if I remember rightly which i probably dont!!! sure some of the regulars will be able to correct me accordingly!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

SUPERPOT is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hijack your thread but as its a general "gardening help" I wonder if anyone can help me choose some grapevines?
I intend to plant a couple at the appropriate time of year. Anyone know correct time to plant and some varieties available here in the north costa blanca region? I would like the grapes to be for eating not wine making and ideally for shade to so the climbing type.
Is it possible to get seedless grape vines here?
Maybe I can have a white and a red grapevine as I have the room.
any help very much appreciated,

Superpot
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:43 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JnK
Hi,
We are on the Costa Del Sol and doing a spot of gardening.
Can anyone advise the orange tree best grown for its scented blossom. A small variety(if Possible) would be better as we dont have much space, but love the smell of the blossom.
Thanks
The problem is that the tree only blooms for a very short time so it's hardly worth the effort.

As Hitchw said, try a Dama del Noche. That flowers throughout the summer and the scent comes as soon as the sun goes down.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 9:45 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

It can be murder trying to get what you want. I had a particular type of nectarine, it died and it has taken me 4 years of trying to get what may be the same sort. All the ones I bought were the wrong type, despite the vendor'e assurances. In the end I got a Spanish friend to ring their head of chain suppliers and extract the variety name from them. It might fruit this year, so until it does, I still don't know if it's the right one.

You could have the same trouble with grapes, and it is a sod waiting all that time for nothing.

I bought some red seedless, 'Flame' was the variety in the UK and took them out in my baggage. They are that rather nice type you get in Tesco's.

Why not try that?
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

If anyone can get seedless black eating grapes please post here as I'll be interested in growing it when my villa is ready next year.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 4:00 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
If anyone can get seedless black eating grapes please post here as I'll be interested in growing it when my villa is ready next year.
I think that Rugbymatt is a fanatic gardener, maybe he´s willing to help out.