Reload this Page >

Gardeners spraying Mozzies

Gardeners spraying Mozzies

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

ridgeway is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gardeners spraying Mozzies

Hi all

We have an apartment in Murcia on a golfing complex which the gardeners constantly spray the gardens to stop the mozzies spreading.

Does anyone know what chemicals they are spraying and are they safe to owners as they really do have a lot of protective clothing on when spraying.

In addition, the gardeners compound is next to our apartment and I am concerned on what chemicals are being kept there and the safeguards for our health

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sammy
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gardeners spraying Mozzies

I think DDT has been banned in most developed countries now but that does it mean some may still have and use it. I would think they are completely covered due to their close proximity to it, possible spills. Some mosquito sprays have Permethrin in them I believe which is used in forestry and agriculture for insect control and in a weaker form in head lie preparations. You could try asking your local Ayuntamiento what they use ?
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ridgeway
Hi all

We have an apartment in Murcia on a golfing complex which the gardeners constantly spray the gardens to stop the mozzies spreading.

Does anyone know what chemicals they are spraying and are they safe to owners as they really do have a lot of protective clothing on when spraying.

In addition, the gardeners compound is next to our apartment and I am concerned on what chemicals are being kept there and the safeguards for our health

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sammy
Unless you go & ask to see the product label, it's difficult to guess.

However, it could possibly be something based on 'cypermethrin', which you could google.
In farming cypermethrins are mainly used because of their low toxicity to birds & mammals, but they are very toxic to fish & other aquatics.
I just hope the spray being used isn't one based on OP chemicals (organophosphates) as they are very effective insect killers, cheap & also dangerous to man over a long term (eg certain sheep dips).
Try going to a local agric merchant to look at the types of insecticide sprays there are.

Hope that helps.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Permethrin and Cipermethrin are very common pyrethroid insecticides used against flying insects.

You will find them in most household fly sprays so they can't be that toxic to humans.

They will be wearing protective clothing because the health and safety rules say they must do so.

Most of the really dangerous chemicals like DDT have been banned. Usually the more recent bans are because of the effect on other wildlife not because of their effect on humans.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:07 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sammy
Surely there must be some standing or stagnant water in the area where the mozzies breed for there to be such a major problem, if not in the gardens, around the golf course maybe ?

Eliminate or deal with that and they should not be too much of a problem.

Are you sure it's only mozzies that they are spraying ?
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Surely there must be some standing or stagnant water in the area where the mozzies breed for there to be such a major problem, if not in the gardens, around the golf course maybe ?

Eliminate or deal with that and they should not be too much of a problem.

Are you sure it's only mozzies that they are spraying ?
I'd agree; get rid of where they breed.
You can't really use these sprays as a preventative measure; they kill what they come into contact with, otherwise you're wasting your money.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

This is what they spray:
Attached Thumbnails Gardeners spraying Mozzies-chem1.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:01 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

No way are they spraying for mossies there!

Looks more like weedkiller.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:04 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Any help appreciated

Thanks

Sammy
As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Another couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails Gardeners spraying Mozzies-chem2.jpg   Gardeners spraying Mozzies-chem3.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

Last two:

Does seem as if everyone is booted and suited for the job all the time. Still dont know what chemicals they are spraying but I do close all the doors and windows when they do cause of the smell
Attached Thumbnails Gardeners spraying Mozzies-chem4.jpg   Gardeners spraying Mozzies-chem5.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:35 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
No way are they spraying for mossies there!

Looks more like weedkiller.
I agree.

Last edited by VFR; Aug 3rd 2013 at 4:39 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Cockroaches ? they were suited up for spraying them down at the marina we used. Hmm could be weed killer.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

Err I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but why don't you ask them what they are using?
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:16 am
Just Joined

I am no gardening expert and all I am told is that it is fumigation. Someone told be it could be for leatherjackets in the grass as per the UK

I had hoped that someone somewhere would know something that would put my mind at rest as I dont know if the chemicals could cause me a health issue. Trying to explain to a non english gardener who is spraying what he is doing is impossible

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.