Galicia

Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:26 am
Just Joined

suzis minion is on a distinguished road
Default Galicia

Hello all.

Having lived and worked in spain for several years we; myself and the long haired sergeant major have decided on a change of scenery. We currently both live and work in sunny Ibiza.........Yeeeaaaaaah, PARTY!!!!.....NOT!!!

Having Spent most of my formative years in the 'Lakes' I suffer from a wasting disease.........fishing; as in "waste of money and waste of time"; thats the 'Bosses' opinion.

We had made enquiries and got the idea that Tarragona area, in the Ebro valley would be suitable.....Big river, big fish. However after many visits to the area we started to 'hum' and 'ha' a little. Unscrupulous agents, non existent planning applications and all the usual bull.

Well hey, whadd'ya know UK sterling collapsed and whilst undertaking in the whole morning coffee and newspaper ritual, I noticed that a filter at the ENDESA nuclear plant at Asco went pop and now the CSN are monitoring the local population for radiation poisoning.

Anyway...to the point

We are now seriously considering a move to Galicia and intend to spend a few weeks 'looking around' there this coming winter.

I would be grateful if anyone up there can share their experiences regarding the following.

Land prices and other building issues.......Planning regs cant be any worse than Catalunya

And while the wife is out..........whats the fishing like?????

Looking forward to reading your responses and advice.

Philip
Old Apr 15th 2008, 5:35 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galicia

Land prices vary significantly across Galicia. The coast is far more expensive then inland. Some parts of the coast have higher prices than the others. The province of Lugo is one of the cheapest places to purchase a property in Spain. The lowest is Extremadura.
What building issues are you talking about? If you are on about illegal buildings then there are some in Galicia. They seem to be located mainly near the coast and one of them seems to be an office of the Xunta de Galicia. When this was discovered things went a bit quite. If you want to purchase a ruin then you should be ok on this front. You have to approach the local concello for permissions for either new buildings or restorations.
Not being fishers we do not know so much about the subject, but it seems that the locals fish for trout in the rivers and you have to purchase a licence for this. Living inland we know nothing about sea fishing.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 8:55 am
Just Joined

suzis minion is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
What building issues are you talking about? If you are on about illegal buildings then there are some in Galicia.

What, they have illegal building in Galicia as well ????

We intend to come over to Galicia and drive around (camper van) for two weeks this coming winter. Due to work commitments (Oh, those lovely british tourists) we are restricted to going 'off island' between November and April.

We intend to follow the coast (It'll be nice to go somewhere where the tide goes out) and then head inland on a circular route.

Can you recommend an itinary? Forests, lakes and rivers are good, cities not so.

Having grown up in the lake district I like lots of water, but not the stuff that falls on your head!!! When is the dryest time, if any between November and April???

Thanks for your advice and your time

Philip
Old Apr 17th 2008, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot tell you too much about the detail, but we too are planning on Galicia. We should be there by the Autumn we hope, but intend to rent for a year or so. Coast is absolutely stunning. Absolutely fell in love with Viveiro. But if rain is an issue be warned - it does rain a lot. Which is one of the reasons we are going - gardeners.
We are out again at the end of May looking at Ourense over to Vigo and Pontevedra. Cant help you about the fishing - like eating them though!
Good luck
Michael
Old Apr 17th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I cannot tell you too much about the detail, but we too are planning on Galicia. We should be there by the Autumn we hope, but intend to rent for a year or so. Coast is absolutely stunning. Absolutely fell in love with Viveiro. But if rain is an issue be warned - it does rain a lot. Which is one of the reasons we are going - gardeners.
We are out again at the end of May looking at Ourense over to Vigo and Pontevedra. Cant help you about the fishing - like eating them though!
Good luck
Michael

We are 10kms inland from Viveiro and the coast is stunning. Yes it does rain and this March and April it has been particularly harsh. That is why the scenery is so green.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:08 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Coming here in the winter months may not be a good idea as all the camping sites close. In case we have missed one look here to find one that does not.
www.Turgalicia.es
Maybe it would be cheaper to fly from Ibiza to Santiago hire a car and rent a small apartment. As apposed to a ferry and a large fuel bill etc. it will also save time if you have just a few weeks. It will also allow you to explore all of those nooks and crannies a camper cannot get too.
BTW a “few weeks” is not enough time to see and understand all of Galicia. It is some thing like 30,000 square kms. That is a bit small then The Netherlands.
If you do not like cities then avoid Vigo the largest and most industrialised city in Galicia. Maybe you should avoid A Coruña but that is quite touristy, along with SdC. The latter too along with Lugo and Ourense are more like large towns than cities.
If you do not like rain then avoid the whole of the North of Spain. As BZ says it is not green for nothing. I would hesitate to predict when the driest period will be. There are two reasons for this Galicia has several weather zones and within those zones you will have microclimates. For instance just over 5 km away, as the bird flys, they grow orange and lemon trees, we cannot because of frosts on the odd night. Look at what BZ has posted about this year. We have not had so bad, like they have had. We also heard that somewhere on the coast up north a town or two has been flooded in the past week. Nothing like that for us.
The second reason is that weather here is very unpredictable, for us it is more like the U.K.
You should look on line at some areas to choose what you like. We love where we live but it will not suit everyone so where you go is personal. We spent months looking around for a place we felt we could live. Our part is very much like the lakes, with its dry stonewalls, green rocky countryside, it is even misty in winter to add to the affect. But we do not get so much rain as Seathwaite, thank goodness. But Seathewaite’s rainfall may match Santiago though.
Hope this is a help, let us know if you want more info.
Hopefully some of the others that have posted they are going to move to Galicia will chip in to as only us and BZ, who actually live here in Galicia presently write on this fourm.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to add more to this thread - and will continue to monitor- but have little of value to add.

Our decision is to come out and rent for six months. Reasons are several -firstly to learn Spanish. I can speak some, and have always had a facility for languages, so envisage no problem. (Incidentally thanksfor the cautionary posts on the forum from those plainly very knowledgeable about the pitfalls of living in Spain).
Secondly we are very aware that liking somewhere and living there with all the idiosyncratic differences between one town and another let alone one country and another are two very different things.
Thirdly we want to get a real feel for the areas (in particular - just how bad is the rain)
Fourthly - Hey it is big world out there - we have time on our side lets have a look around.

If anyone feels it would be of value, I will try to do a resume of what we find when we return from our recconnoitre in June.

I am off next week to do a Trinity TEFL course. Partly for a bit of dosh but more so that we have something to offer wherever we wind up. I am told Trinity and CELTA have equal value. We shall see

Once again thanks to all for so much really helpful information and advice. I would like to poist more but dont really see what I can add that is useful

Weather here (Southern England) wet and miserable again. Even the Met Office admitting this may be yet another cold wet summer here. So that should, cheer all you guys up.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I
Weather here (Southern England) wet and miserable again. Even the Met Office admitting this may be yet another cold wet summer here. So that should, cheer all you guys up.
Its been snowing in Galacia apparantly
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:46 pm

I would love to add more to this thread - and will continue to monitor- but have little of value to add.

Our decision is to come out and rent for six months. Reasons are several -firstly to learn Spanish. I can speak some, and have always had a facility for languages, so envisage no problem. (Incidentally thanksfor the cautionary posts on the forum from those plainly very knowledgeable about the pitfalls of living in Spain).
Secondly we are very aware that liking somewhere and living there with all the idiosyncratic differences between one town and another let alone one country and another are two very different things.
Thirdly we want to get a real feel for the areas (in particular - just how bad is the rain)
Fourthly - Hey it is big world out there - we have time on our side lets have a look around.

If anyone feels it would be of value, I will try to do a resume of what we find when we return from our recconnoitre in June.

I am off next week to do a Trinity TEFL course. Partly for a bit of dosh but more so that we have something to offer wherever we wind up. I am told Trinity and CELTA have equal value. We shall see

Once again thanks to all for so much really helpful information and advice. I would like to poist more but dont really see what I can add that is useful

Are you thinking of being a teacher here in Galicia? And are you thinking that you want to work in a State run school? Then did you know that the Xunta de Galicia insists the planning for the classes are done in Gallego, plus a 50 percentage of all classes in state run schools are done in Gallego. At the same time they are looking for native speakers. It just does not make sense to us.
This initiative for the Galician language dose not apply to private schools.
Where are you planning to visit in June?

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Its been snowing in Galacia apparantly
The snow is only has been on the very high mountains that form the borders of Galicia and Castilla Y Leon. Is that why you are not coming here for your hols?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:48 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
The snow is only has been on the very high mountains that form the borders of Galicia and Castilla Y Leon. Is that why you are not coming here for your hols?
We'll be there shortly!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:55 pm

Good..... the sun is coming out after a few days rain. Hopefully it will even be better by the time you are here.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Mikellama has a brilliant futureMikellama has a brilliant futureMikellama has a brilliant futureMikellama has a brilliant futureMikellama has a brilliant futureMikellama has a brilliant future

Keep the sun shining because we will be starting out on our drive over to Galicia on 30th April straight after we sign for completion on the sale of our farm. All our llamas are now relocated until we find a new home but watching the last of our much loved Clydesdale horses depart today was sole destroying and so we both need a little sunshine to lift our spirits.

We have at long last managed to find the only camp site in the whole of Galicia that will accept a 7.5 ton American RV and 4 dogs (at this time of year) down near Santa Uxia, but as we are also bringing our car it will allow us to start exploring the region and looking at some properties and land.

If anyone spots a couple in a French registered Red Nissan Navara telling his SatNav system to shut up just wave, it will be me.

Rgds, Mike L
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:39 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Mikellama
If anyone spots a couple in a French registered Red Nissan Navara telling his SatNav system to shut up just wave, it will be me.

Rgds, Mike L
I'll be looking out for you
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks all for interest and help. My purpose in teaching is really to contribute something to the community, and I probably assume that that will be more in private schools, and perhaps businesses. I do speak French and German as well (a bit rusty but there was a time I was completely fluent), so hope that will also be of some use.

We will only be in Galicia for a short time this time - May 28th till 6th June. But intend to move around a bit to assist in deciding where to rent when we make the move -with luck at the end of the year. It is reassuring to see so many old hands also advocating renting for 6 months or so.

We will be intrigued to hear Mikellama's experiences so do hope for a post.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Mikellama
Keep the sun shining because we will be starting out on our drive over to Galicia on 30th April straight after we sign for completion on the sale of our farm. All our llamas are now relocated until we find a new home but watching the last of our much loved Clydesdale horses depart today was sole destroying and so we both need a little sunshine to lift our spirits.

We have at long last managed to find the only camp site in the whole of Galicia that will accept a 7.5 ton American RV and 4 dogs (at this time of year) down near Santa Uxia, but as we are also bringing our car it will allow us to start exploring the region and looking at some properties and land.

Rgds, Mike L
It is hard to part with any pet, so our sympathies are with you.
Santa Uxia, is far away from us, so maybe we will not bump into you.
Cannot really understand why you found so little camping sites open. You will be going at the start of the camping season including 2 public holidays ( May 1st and the 15th) Shops and offices will be closed on those days, plus there may be local fiesta days associated too. In land we would have thought this campsite would have accepted you. http://www.casaruralsantamaria.com/ It is located just to the north of us and we stayed there when we was looking around. We have since become acquaintances of them. The owner speaks, as well as the local languages, French, but no English.
Sat nav is not so useful around here as a lot of minor roads are not in the system.So maybe more hitting the box than you think!

Thanks all for interest and help. My purpose in teaching is really to contribute something to the community, and I probably assume that that will be more in private schools, and perhaps businesses. I do speak French and German as well (a bit rusty but there was a time I was completely fluent), so hope that will also be of some use.

We will only be in Galicia for a short time this time - May 28th till 6th June. But intend to move around a bit to assist in deciding where to rent when we make the move -with luck at the end of the year. It is reassuring to see so many old hands also advocating renting for 6 months or so.

We will be intrigued to hear Mikellama's experiences so do hope for a post.
There are a lot of private institutions around. It seems a lot of them are struggling too. One because there could be an over supply and two because parents cannot afford to pay for extra classes. Hopefully you will find some thing in those few weeks you are here. although that task will be hard as the total area of the autonomous community is about 30000 sq km (11,583 sq miles).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.