Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

funny smell ????

funny smell ????

Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:38 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default funny smell ????

hi, we are at the moment doing up our bathroom. on removal of floor tiles we came across a small round hole in the floor, thing is we have a very funny smell in there, its quite strong, its not to the cess pit but I said to oh that it smells like methane????? this couldnt be , could it????
got up this morning and the smell has risen to upstairs kitchen, we will obviously lay new floor over the hole but it is puzzling me
Old Apr 16th 2007, 6:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: funny smell ????

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
hi, we are at the moment doing up our bathroom. on removal of floor tiles we came across a small round hole in the floor, thing is we have a very funny smell in there, its quite strong, its not to the cess pit but I said to oh that it smells like methane????? this couldnt be , could it????
got up this morning and the smell has risen to upstairs kitchen, we will obviously lay new floor over the hole but it is puzzling me
It could be the drainage, sometimes the wc pan just drops its contents into a manhole, not a sealed pipe like in the UK and you have broken the airseal by taking up the tiles.
Or if it is a round hole it may be where all the waste pipes meet and is an airseal like an s trap used in the UK, it is supposed to have a rubber and metal disc type top on it.
But if you think it smells like methane put your fag out and investigate further.

Last edited by jdr; Apr 16th 2007 at 6:51 am.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 8:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Could it once have been a wet room, if so this could be the drainage from the shower.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:07 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Could it once have been a wet room, if so this could be the drainage from the shower.

Rosemary
Quite possibly, and in view of your problems with the tank if theres no U bend to trap the smells you might be getting the full aroma of your tank. As its clearly of no use as it was already blocked, I would fill it if possible.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:22 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Rosemary
mmm you could be right. The smell is a realy weird smell though, like a gas?? not a pooey smell
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:24 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

mmm you could be right. The smell is a realy weird smell though, like a gas?? not a pooey smell
well, not to get into too much detail but isn't that one and the same
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

We were getting an awful smell from the drains of the shower in our small bathroom but we do not have a septic tank to worry about. Maybe you need to have this investigated in case it is gas before you fill it in.

Rosemary
Old Apr 16th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help as I'm afraid I have no sense of smell.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 10:21 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
well, not to get into too much detail but isn't that one and the same
no, not going to go into detail,gonna have my lunch sooooon.
no, the smell is like those calor gas fires.
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

no, not going to go into detail,gonna have my lunch sooooon.
no, the smell is like those calor gas fires.

Hi Patsywhitehair,
I have been around a few bad smells in my time...
Do you live in a new house ?, was it built on reclaimed land ?
Methane gas generally comes from decomposing waste or animal slurry type things.
Is the smell kinda sweet and sickly, this is usually a sewerage type smell, as suggested you may not have a water trap on your waste pipe, or you may have dislodged an inspection eye, that would mean the smell is coming straight from the cesspit/septic tank or if on mains direct, from the sewer,
maybe the original floor layer split a waste pipe when cutting some tiles, Maybe the waste pipe is very close to the surface and it split when you took the tiles up? is it too big a job just to open it up a little more to investigate.....?, is it near the pan..? if so have you tried flushing to see if you can hear or see anything, I don't suggest you put your ear to it.... As you raised the matter it might make you more at ease if you could get to the BOTTOM of it before you re block up your hole...so to speak.....
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:44 am
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
I don't suggest you put your ear to it....
or eye
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
or eye
or tongue..............
Old Apr 16th 2007, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

Hi Patsy,

Are you sure it's not the hole in your bathroom/kitchens/toilets/laundry rooms, where all of your drainage tubes meet to discharge, and normally has a circular chromed cover screwed down on top

I would not block it up though I would put a drain worm in there first to see where it goes
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:16 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Hi Patsywhitehair,
I have been around a few bad smells in my time...
Do you live in a new house ?, was it built on reclaimed land ?
Methane gas generally comes from decomposing waste or animal slurry type things.
Is the smell kinda sweet and sickly, this is usually a sewerage type smell, as suggested you may not have a water trap on your waste pipe, or you may have dislodged an inspection eye, that would mean the smell is coming straight from the cesspit/septic tank or if on mains direct, from the sewer,
maybe the original floor layer split a waste pipe when cutting some tiles, Maybe the waste pipe is very close to the surface and it split when you took the tiles up? is it too big a job just to open it up a little more to investigate.....?, is it near the pan..? if so have you tried flushing to see if you can hear or see anything, I don't suggest you put your ear to it.... As you raised the matter it might make you more at ease if you could get to the BOTTOM of it before you re block up your hole...so to speak.....

our water fm the sink in bathroom goes straight out to open ditch, water fm toilet goes straight to cesspit ,same as shower. we live in the campo and not a new house. as i said before the smell is a bit like calor gas
Old Apr 16th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

our water fm the sink in bathroom goes straight out to open ditch, water fm toilet goes straight to cesspit ,same as shower. we live in the campo and not a new house. as i said before the smell is a bit like calor gas
Do you have any gas in the house...could a pipe run under the bathroom floor to get to the kitchen?..err don't smoke or light a match to have a look ..if the answer is no, it probably is sewage smell...have a reccy..old damp concrete gives off a gassy smell as well, also wet clay soil .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.