Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Funerals !! A Taboo Subject in Spain ??

Funerals !! A Taboo Subject in Spain ??

Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:38 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Funerals !! A Taboo Subject in Spain ??

Although I am not planning to die any time soon or indeed wishing my life away!! How do people feel about arranging funeral services here in Spain (or even in UK)...

I guess most us would want a funeral / burial / cremation back in Blighty...

But what's involved ?
What about Funeral cover here ?
What's the cost of repatriation ?
How do we provide for the one's left behind in Spain ?
Is there any pro' / official help ?

I'm guessing most us don't like to think about it (I haven't until now) but as we get older maybe we should ! Should we plan our own funerals / make our wishes known? Why leave it too our grieving loved ones?

Sorry as I hope I am not upsetting anyone with this... but maybe we should talk / share this stuff as I am ignorant of this in UK, being only 21 (ahem) !!

Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:06 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funerals !! A Taboo Subject in Spain ??

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Although I am not planning to die any time soon or indeed wishing my life away!! How do people feel about arranging funeral services here in Spain (or even in UK)...

But what's involved ?

I'm guessing most us don't like to think about it (I haven't until now) but as we get older maybe we should ! Should we plan our own funerals / make our wishes known? Why leave it too our grieving loved ones?

Sorry as I hope I am not upsetting anyone with this... but maybe we should talk / share this stuff as I am ignorant of this in UK, being only 21 (ahem) !!

I haven't really given it much thought. Not because I don't want to, purely lethargy!

Having moved to Spain, why would people want to go back to UK for burial/cremation? That really surprises me - perhaps those people never totally moved abroad?

Any way, perhaps one should look into the process and costs here in Spain as it would save 'agro' for those left behind.

Does anyone know the process and/or costs of a cremation? How, in Spain, can one declare their wishes to donate organs on death?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:30 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE

Having moved to Spain, why would people want to go back to UK for burial/cremation? That really surprises me - perhaps those people never totally moved abroad?

QUOTE]

No offence but does "totally moving abroad" mean that you want to be buried there as well? I don't think so.
I bet there are many people living outside the UK that would prefer their final resting place to be somewhere in the UK and I don't think that this has anything at all to do with being fully intergrated. A lot of people have more family and friends still in the UK than they do where they are living now.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:59 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

But what's involved ?

Hi, the same question, and it's a good one, was raised on the France forum some time ago ("After retirement", if you're interested). The procedure might be just as complicated as in France, so I'd make enquiries at your local Undertakers and/or Town Hall, to find out in advance what the family has to do and/or can't do.
You can take out a special "Funeral costs" insurance here, which can also cover repatriation, to avoid financial worries when the time comes, and no doubt this exists in Spain, too.
Cremation is now acceptable in Catholic France, but, there again, you'd have to ask at the Spanish Undertakers what the legal situation is.
Whatever you decide on, tell your family, esp. if you want the funeral in the UK.
You provide for those left behind by writing a Will, but that's worth a new thread.
Hope this helps, even though it's info from France!
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:25 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
[QUOTE

QUOTE]

No offence but does "totally moving abroad" mean that you want to be buried there as well? I don't think so.
I bet there are many people living outside the UK that would prefer their final resting place to be somewhere in the UK and I don't think that this has anything at all to do with being fully intergrated. A lot of people have more family and friends still in the UK than they do where they are living now.
Quite right, I had overlooked the fact that many people will have relatives back in UK who may wish to pay their respects once in a while. As I won't have such issues (let's not go there), I must take my blinkers off more often.

Any one know about organ donation?
Old Nov 12th 2009, 8:52 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

You can arrange an Insurance with most Spanish insurance offices, you pay monthly and you prearrange the plot, casket, glass lid, public notifications, repatriation abroad if required etc etc.

We looked into it as my OH wants to be buried in Spain

Costs around 50.00 Euros every 3 months with Allianza.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

betis is an unknown quantity at this point

A basic funeral will cost in the region of €3,000. You also may find that the deceased bank account is frozen.
We pay €237 a year for the two of us with Santalucia under their Asistencia Familiar Plus Policy and they deal with everything including registering the death and repatriation of the body if required.
We have a credit card size card with the telephone number for 24 hour assistance.

It is the one certainty in life so it's best to be prepared.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 2:06 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live, the local tanatorio arrange everything, including an English-speaking service if required. It does cost in the region of 3,000 Euros. Alicante university deal with organ donation and funeral plans are advertised everywhere.

I suppose we should, but I would hate to walk around with one of those cards with a 24-hour emergency number. Manana.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betis
It is the one certainty in life so it's best to be prepared.
But it's not going to be my problem
Old Nov 12th 2009, 3:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A friend was recently repatriated and it cost a great deal of money. I don't know the exact figure but €8000 was mentioned - what that included I don't know.

I do know that refrigeration in the mortuary is also very costly - something like €75/day.

It's easier to follow the Spanish habit and be cremated within 24 hours and go back to the UK in an urn.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

That's exactly what we did when a friend of ours who died suddenly - we spoke with the airline and all we needed was the death certificate and the urn could go either as hand-luggage or checked luggage which ever we preferred.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 5:37 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Fred James;8093833]A friend was recently repatriated and it cost a great deal of money. I don't know the exact figure but €8000 was mentioned - what that included I don't know.

I do know that refrigeration in the mortuary is also very costly - something like €75/day.

OMG you can get a Bed & Breakfast cheaper
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tolly
That's exactly what we did when a friend of ours who died suddenly - we spoke with the airline and all we needed was the death certificate and the urn could go either as hand-luggage or checked luggage which ever we preferred.
Can you tell me which airline that was please ? I was lead to believe that all urns had to be in the hold.

Price of basic cremation is more like 4000 euros in this area.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

Tolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura aboutTolly has a spectacular aura about

It was BA out of Gib - i did not like the idea of putting him in the hold (silly i know) -
Old Nov 12th 2009, 9:37 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Organ donation info in English here
http://www.ont.es/contenido.jsp?id_n...d=&auditoria=F

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.