Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fruit Trees in Spain

Fruit Trees in Spain

Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:51 pm
Just Joined

jillm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fruit Trees in Spain

I would like to buy and grow a few fruit trees (for personal use only). Does anyone know the name of the shop you buy them from, how much they cost, when is the best time to buy and plant them.

Thinking of: Apple, pears, cherry, peaches
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:55 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fruit Trees in Spain

Where do you live in Spain?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:19 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jillm
I would like to buy and grow a few fruit trees (for personal use only). Does anyone know the name of the shop you buy them from, how much they cost, when is the best time to buy and plant them.

Thinking of: Apple, pears, cherry, peaches
Buy from any garden centre, but look at the varieties they are selling, likely to be the best for your area, those listed will not be suitable everywhere in Spain
Old Sep 13th 2007, 6:58 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Most garden centres have a good selection...Orange, lime, lemon. Pomegranate, peaches, nectarines, cherries, kiwis, figs, plums etc all very easy to find. Do a lot of homework. We bought a cherry on impulse last week to find that we now need another of a different variety in order to fertilise and fruit as single varieties are self sterile.. they cannot self pollinate. Buy mature trees unless you are prepared to wait a long while.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:40 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Most garden centres have a good selection...Orange, lime, lemon. Pomegranate, peaches, nectarines, cherries, kiwis, figs, plums etc all very easy to find. Do a lot of homework. We bought a cherry on impulse last week to find that we now need another of a different variety in order to fertilise and fruit as single varieties are self sterile.. they cannot self pollinate. Buy mature trees unless you are prepared to wait a long while.
Apples and pears are the same, check that the variety is self pollinating. Some apple varieties need 2 other varieties to pollinate.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Apples and pears are the same, check that the variety is self pollinating. Some apple varieties need 2 other varieties to pollinate.
Might explain why there is 5 apple trees (3 different kinds) in my garden. I mean, there is only so many apples I can eat!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:49 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

are there many "self" pollinating apples?
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:31 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
are there many "self" pollinating apples?
Not sure, but in the UK you can buy tress with matching pollinating varieties grafted on the same plant.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 8:35 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, but in the UK you can buy tress with matching pollinating varieties grafted on the same plant.
and they rarely survive.

even the large commercial growers have to plant different pollination groups to get any decent apples...
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Sorry for late reply i am currently in UK. I am moving to Calaceite near Tarragona

Wonder if thats why you have eating apples and cooking apples growing in same field
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:32 am
Straw Man.

Sorry for late reply i am currently in UK. I am moving to Calaceite near Tarragona

Wonder if thats why you have eating apples and cooking apples growing in same field
maybe hey?
Old Sep 15th 2007, 10:47 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I asked your location is because the climate can be important to your choice of trees.

You will be much colder there in the winter than down south and this may actaully improve your chances of success as some trees really need a cold spell in the winter to fruit well.

On the other hand you probably won't have so much joy with the more tropical fruits like mangos that grow well in the south.

If you buy from a good local viveros then they should be able to advise you exactly what will do well in your area but I dont think you will too many problems with the ones you mentioned.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for replies.
Will keep you informed how i get on.

Sign on 5th Oct but moving on before there are already grapes, pears,almonds and olives

Only want the apples and pears for us and the horses
Old Sep 15th 2007, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Just noticed there is two types of apples growing on one of my trees. Only a few of them though (and are sour), the rest are eating apples.
Old Sep 17th 2007, 6:29 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop crickets eating the leaves on our orange tree? OH is out there now with a broom handle batting them all off the tree Is there anything they dont like, like mozzies dont like citrus etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.