Friday Night.

Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:04 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friday Night.

Did you know that Ann Robinson used to be a reporter for the North London Press? You're not her, are you?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Did you know that Ann Robinson used to be a reporter for the North London Press? You're not her, are you?
Which North London Press? Big place! (no. You are the weakest link ) I was in Maggie territory.....
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:37 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
It's Friday night and I'm stuck indoors, in the heat, looking after two demanding dogs and a slightly less demanding wife. It wasn't always like that.

When I was much younger, Friday was pay day, get changed as quickly as possible and off to the pub to meet your mates, and go hunting for crumpet once the blood was roused.

In later years, it was still boys night out after a hard week's work, sometimes forgetting about family responsibility for a few happy hours.

And now? I can hear Eastenders starting next door, the dogs are getting impatient for me to play with them, and only a few glasses of wine on the hot terrace beckon.

If I had the bottle, I would put on my best gear, shorts and a vest, and wander around some local pubs to try and relive the Friday nights of the past.

Am I man or mouse? Well, I like cheese.
the days when the pubs stopped serving at 10.30 so when the first bell went at 10.20 everyone made a mad rush to get in a couple more drinks to last until 10.45 when they came round ready to push you out

then on to the chippy

look how its all changed
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
the days when the pubs stopped serving at 10.30 so when the first bell went at 10.20 everyone made a mad rush to get in a couple more drinks to last until 10.45 when they came round ready to push you out

then on to the chippy

look how its all changed
Yep, last orders was around when I worked at The Triumph at Friern Barnet
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

We used to drive across from Leyton to Hackney as the pubs there didn't close until 11pm ( they opened 1/2 hr later). Much better pubs and more choice.
Plenty of live music pubs as well. Suited and booted in your tonic mohair suit on Saturdays.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 10:36 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't it 12 ounce mohair? Everybody had those suits, including the Twins. The Farleigh Arms in Amherst Road was the place to see them, or their club on the other side. We had a good-looking boy in our group and Ronnie used to follow him into the toilet and bung him a tenner.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:37 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
Yep, last orders was around when I worked at The Triumph at Friern Barnet
Friern Barnet? I know you won't be offended because you know what I'm referring to, but we always thought it was a place full of nutters.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:47 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
We used to drive across from Leyton to Hackney as the pubs there didn't close until 11pm ( they opened 1/2 hr later). Much better pubs and more choice.
Plenty of live music pubs as well. Suited and booted in your tonic mohair suit on Saturdays.
There was the Pegasus in Lee Street, the Farley in Stoke Newington and the one in Green Lanes at Newington Green. That's where Lennie Peters started.

We used to buy him a gin and tonic and being cruel people would move it along the bar just out of reach. He never missed and could get quite rude.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Lennie Peters used to perform at the Prince of Wales on Kingsland Road. I think I also saw him at a pub, the Unicorn? but I am not too sure.
He was quite a good turn.
The Old Blue Last in Great Eastern Street was another good venue for music.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:17 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Lennie Peters used to perform at the Prince of Wales on Kingsland Road. I think I also saw him at a pub, the Unicorn? but I am not too sure.
He was quite a good turn.
The Old Blue Last in Great Eastern Street was another good venue for music.
I'd forgotten about those two. I was going to say that I was in the Prince of Wales quite recently, thought about it, it was in 1994!

A few years later I walked down Hoxton Street to try and find an old pal. He had sold his council flat and bought a mansion at Clacton. That's where the old boys have all gone to, the Essex coast. They've all got photographs of Margaret Thatcher on the walls of their detached bungalows.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HBG
Friern Barnet? I know you won't be offended because you know what I'm referring to, but we always thought it was a place full of nutters.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:42 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Someone mentioned the program Eastenders & I belive that Facet (sic) square off Graham Road was used as the template for it.

Going back to Ridley Road market I can remember us all running along the roofs of the market lockups watching the Mosely riots in progress & I think (?) that Londons first wimpy outlet was in Kingsland High St.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:18 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by playamonte
Someone mentioned the program Eastenders & I belive that Facet (sic) square off Graham Road was used as the template for it.

Going back to Ridley Road market I can remember us all running along the roofs of the market lockups watching the Mosely riots in progress & I think (?) that Londons first wimpy outlet was in Kingsland High St.
Looks like you'll get the telegram before me. I'm not jealous, good luck to you.
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:34 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Looks like you'll get the telegram before me. I'm not jealous, good luck to you.

Can you remember that name of that club in Kingsland High St opposite the pictures ?
If you were coming up Balls Pond & turned right at Dalston Junction it was down on the left above the shops, used to be a Mods hangout & the rockers used to use the hagerstone ?
Old Aug 20th 2011, 9:19 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by playamonte

Can you remember that name of that club in Kingsland High St opposite the pictures ?
If you were coming up Balls Pond & turned right at Dalston Junction it was down on the left above the shops, used to be a Mods hangout & the rockers used to use the hagerstone ?
The pictures, the Classic, was almost opposite Ridley Road, but you would have to turn left into Kingsland High Street to get there, from Balls Pond Road.

But you could well be going back before my time. I got there long after Mosely. 30 years later, in fact.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.