Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freezing of Non-Resident bank accounts

Freezing of Non-Resident bank accounts

Old Aug 1st 2008, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freezing of Non-Resident bank accounts

Originally Posted by debandsie
thanks rotor, however safe/strong boxes do not earn you interest. Please explain exactly what you mean by the authorities can help themselves to your money.( which authorites and for what reasons )
i have a non residents account - however, my bank, of their own doing opened a residents one for me so that i could earn some interest ( as there is a significant amount in my account ). so should i stay with that or move the money to the uk/ or elsewhere, where the spanish authorites cannot touch it ?
Speak to your bank and they will explain all and proberly scare you enough to bank outside Spain (if they are honest) or maybe better still your lawer ,I heard of one spaniard who had there account frozen and 7k removed for unpaid taxes, he claims he never had any notification then found out mail went to the wrong address, it taken over two months to reopen the account!!To cap it all he proved he did not owe the money and got a refund,clerical error:curse:

A friend also had 300euro taken for a motoring fine he was unaware of

Ignore this at your peril

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 26th 2008, 8:36 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
No joke. I've now read on two different forums with people claiming that they are unable to access their monies because they haven't got their status certificate from the local police station.
I know that on opening a non-res account, we are required to submit this, but many banks just ignore it. And they are also required to re-check your status every 2 years.
As my in-laws have a non-res account, I shall off to the bank pronto manana to see what's what.
So what happened at the bank ?
Was it cold in there with all the frozen accounts or did they laugh. ;-)

Can you imagine what chaos this would cause to the running of the country ?
Thousands of people cut off from Telefonica, electric, water, mortgage payments etc.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

The very nice chica (who we also know socially...she and her indoors have a weekly intercambio) at the La Caixa said that it's not her banks policy to freeze anything. (Which means my monies from drugs, prostitution and tax avoidance should be safe!). But, she did say that some "smaller" banks and Caixas were having problems, and having decided that giving away toasters to attract new clients wasn't exactly having them stampeding through the door, were actively looking for means to hold on to what monies they have! Even though another Spanish expat forum has a much larger thread on this, I feel it's more than probably just a storm in a teacup (as opposed to my hand in a C cup!). Sorry...some drink taken this evening with friends.
Old Aug 26th 2008, 10:17 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Speak to your bank and they will explain all and proberly scare you enough to bank outside Spain (if they are honest) or maybe better still your lawer ,I heard of one spaniard who had there account frozen and 7k removed for unpaid taxes, he claims he never had any notification then found out mail went to the wrong address, it taken over two months to reopen the account!!To cap it all he proved he did not owe the money and got a refund,clerical error:curse:

A friend also had 300euro taken for a motoring fine he was unaware of

Ignore this at your peril

Rgds

Rotor
the authoritys can take any thing out of your bank.say like if you dont pay your rates for a few years.or fines or taxes or social.but the worst is when a lunp sum has gone out and they say they dont know who it has been payed to.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Nosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really nice

We had a BBVA bank account opened for us by our lawyer who is handling the purchase of our Spanish Property (he used photocopies of our passports). We were receiving monthly statements but after filling in the non residents certificate several months ago we haven't received a bank statement since. We wrote a letter to them and haven't had any reply. We also tried phoning the London branch of the BBVA and were simply given a phone number in Spain. I am slightly worried that it might have been frozen, and my Spanish is not yet good enough to hold a phone conversation about banking in Spanish. Without being able to gesture/mime I will be lost!

Going back to Galicia to apply for our NIE numbers next week so we shall try going into a branch and see if we get any further information. Does anyone know if any branch can handle enquiries? Our lawyer opened the account at the branch nearest his office in Lugo but we will be living some 30km away in a smaller town.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nosherlot
We had a BBVA bank account opened for us by our lawyer who is handling the purchase of our Spanish Property (he used photocopies of our passports). We were receiving monthly statements but after filling in the non residents certificate several months ago we haven't received a bank statement since. We wrote a letter to them and haven't had any reply. We also tried phoning the London branch of the BBVA and were simply given a phone number in Spain. I am slightly worried that it might have been frozen, and my Spanish is not yet good enough to hold a phone conversation about banking in Spanish. Without being able to gesture/mime I will be lost!

Going back to Galicia to apply for our NIE numbers next week so we shall try going into a branch and see if we get any further information. Does anyone know if any branch can handle enquiries? Our lawyer opened the account at the branch nearest his office in Lugo but we will be living some 30km away in a smaller town.
Can you not phone a branch say in Quesada or a similar place where there is loads of English as they will most likely have English speaking people.

The BBVA.ES website (spanish) is in English / Spanish and Catalan so most likely a lot of costal branches will have English speaking staff
Old Aug 27th 2008, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

We had 2 amounts of 15 euros taken from our Santander account recently
The heading was .
ADEUDO VARIOS CONC COMISION-SOLICITUD CERTIFICAD DE NO RESIDENCIA
Could this be a fee for Non Resident Registration ? it sounds like it is to me, if so our solicitor set it up
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:36 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrismortley
The heading was .
Could this be a fee for Non Resident Registration ? it sounds like it is to me, if so our solicitor set it up
all I know is if I ever won the lottery It would sit in a uk bank.this lot here are just a load of legalised con men
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Freezing of Non-Resident bank accounts

The heading was .
Its not the solicitor, we have not got or used a solicitor in Spain but Banco Andalucia take €10 every two years and have done since we first set up the account in 2004 and now we have a joint account with Solbank they have taken €23 this year. The words are the same in each case and they did not ask they just did it.

However if it stops the accounts from being frozen thats OK by me.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Freezing of Non-Resident bank accounts

Originally Posted by betris
all I know is if I ever won the lottery It would sit in a uk bank.this lot here are just a load of legalised con men
Yes that is my plan but unfortunately we did not win the Euromillions £52m last Friday nor the Lotto £12m on Saturday and I was all ready to open my offshore accounts in Gibralter Jersey and Luxemburg. Not UK tax is too high on real money
Old Aug 27th 2008, 4:44 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The heading was .
Yes thats the bank charge, also you will see a deduction from the interest they pay you, this goes to the taxman.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Hmmmm...just received last months statement, and "THEY" (it's always them...whoever they are) have kindly deducted 460 Euro for "Income Tax Withholding on Interest". It is a little disconcerting when funds go out without my own authority. I guess all will be revealed manana when I toodle over again.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Just to follow up: http://www.moneyweek.com/news-and-ch...low-22425.aspx

Maybe nows the time to find the key to the safe.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by littlelambfound
Hmmmm...just received last months statement, and "THEY" (it's always them...whoever they are) have kindly deducted 460 Euro for "Income Tax Withholding on Interest". It is a little disconcerting when funds go out without my own authority. I guess all will be revealed manana when I toodle over again.
Looks like they have caught up with you. ;-)
They have forgotten to charge you it before or you have mucho dosho.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Apparently so. But who are "they"? A case for Mulder and Scully methinks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.