Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free Internet - Is this for real?

Free Internet - Is this for real?

Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Free Internet - Is this for real?

There's a company advertising on some of the small size free mags. They claim to be able to offer free broadband internet access and only charge an installation fee.

Does anyone know anything about this?

The claim that you don't have to pay any monthly charges to an ISP and that there are no download limits.
Who assigns you your ip address if you don't go through an ISP?

Not sure whether I can post the name of the company so mods feel free to remove this link -
http://www.granadasatellites.com/wifi.htm

I currently pay around 45€ a month for my limited connection so if this is genuine then it will have paid for itself in about seven months.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Internet - Is this for real?

I would be very wary of the claims!
For example, the copyright on their site is 2007, There is only a mobile number to contact. And on the How It Works" page, it doesn't tell you, It doesn't even mention Windows Vista on there. They are also mentioning speeds of up to 54 meg!! As they are claiming to be offering the service with the blessing of the local government, I would speak to the local council.
I provided a community broadband network locally, and the running costs were prohibitive, and there were no grants or help available at all. Someone has to be paying for it!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Looks good. There must be a catch.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is an element of truth in this.

If you look at their website they are showing the logo of the Junta de Andalucia.

The Junta has a very large plan to create free WiFi access across the region and are spending 2 billion euros on it - yes - 2 billion!

I believe it is working in some areas in Malaga and it does run at 54mb/s. Of course an individual connection would be much slower due to the very large number of users.

Quite where this company comes into the equation I know not - but it may help them to justify the claim of free internet, even if they can only provide the equipment.

The plan is "Plan Andalucía Sociedad de la Información" if you feel like a few hours Googling in Spanish.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
There is an element of truth in this.

If you look at their website they are showing the logo of the Junta de Andalucia.

The Junta has a very large plan to create free WiFi access across the region and are spending 2 billion euros on it - yes - 2 billion!

I believe it is working in some areas in Malaga and it does run at 54mb/s. Of course an individual connection would be much slower due to the very large number of users.

Quite where this company comes into the equation I know not - but it may help them to justify the claim of free internet, even if they can only provide the equipment.

The plan is "Plan Andalucía Sociedad de la Información" if you feel like a few hours Googling in Spanish.
You must of googled it Fred, spill the beans. ;-) ;-)
Old Jul 9th 2009, 10:05 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
You must of googled it Fred, spill the beans. ;-) ;-)
Surely everything comes from Google.

Seriously though, I read about this initiative some time ago and it does seem to be a serious proposition - especially if they are spending that sort of cash on it.

It is definitely working in Malaga on a pilot basis - let's just hope it comes to fruition and than we can all tell Telefonica to sod off!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

...<snip> ...
Fred, sorry if this sounds cynical.
When I was looking to buy my place in Spain, I was told all kinds of baloney by various agents. Things like "Oh yes, electricity is nearby - all you have to do is run a cable. It'll cost about €1000". Or: "Yes there are big plans to completely revamp the water suppy, this house will be on the main very soon". And of course "You can get huge grants for solar power" and my favourite: "Oh yes, you can definitely rebuild - afterall, the ruins show there is already a property here".
You get the gist. While I'm sure that the Junta would like to get the whole place on t'net and I'm sure the plan is meant with the best intentions, I just can't see them spending €2Bn on it, for a region with a population of 8 million people, that's over €500 per household. Even if that money was spread across 20 years - it's still €100 million a year: no way!

I wish I could believe this, as lack of a fast, reliable internet connection is the single showstopper of my business plans in Spain. Sadly, however, this just fails the "gut instinct" test.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:17 am

Yes, I was a bit cynical at first but it is happening.

As I said, it's up and running in Malaga and in August they are installing it for a month around all the coastal areas in Granada province.

As I said, search for it and read about it - there is tons of info available.

Andalucia is way ahead of the other regions when it comes to Internet access already and the percentage of public services that are available online is very high.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 7:18 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

we have free internet in our town

I know someone who uses it

but it only works in a very small geographical area & is unreliable at best
Old Jul 10th 2009, 8:01 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

There is also a plan up here for Galicia for WIFI for the campo. It is called WiMax.
http://www.galiciae.com/nova/10717.html
Is that the same system as they want to install in the south?
Old Jul 10th 2009, 9:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Free Internet - Is this for real?

Yes, I was a bit cynical at first but it is happening.

As I said, it's up and running in Malaga and in August they are installing it for a month around all the coastal areas in Granada province.

As I said, search for it and read about it - there is tons of info available.

Andalucia is way ahead of the other regions when it comes to Internet access already and the percentage of public services that are available online is very high.
Well Fred I have to remain cynical. I emailed the company last night and they responded that Ayamonte was too far as they are based in Granada. I hope that there may be a supplier locally but I have not seen any adverts in the local area.

The odd thing is that Portugal is ahead on this one and you can sit in the square or promenade in any of the close towns across the river and log on or go into a free internet Cafe and log and even print out for a small fee or free. It is a Potuguese National directive.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Well Fred I have to remain cynical. I emailed the company last night and they responded that Ayamonte was too far as they are based in Granada.

I am just as cynical as you about that company's claims but I merely pointed out that there will be a free 54mb service available but not from them!
Old Jul 10th 2009, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
There is also a plan up here for Galicia for WIFI for the campo. It is called WiMax.
http://www.galiciae.com/nova/10717.html
Is that the same system as they want to install in the south?
I guess it is the same principle and many regions are doing the same thing with help from central government.

The Andalucian initiative I referred to is a very big deal. It is not there just to provide access to the Internet, it is also there to provide access to the regional governments digital infrastructure and that is where most of the 2 billion will be going.

As an example, it is now possible to make an appointment online to see your doctor. You can also change your doctor online. It will be possible to update your padron records at the Ayuntamiento.

On a central government level you can now create submit your tax return online. You can access Trafico records to see how many "puntos" you have etc. etc. I applied for a pensioners discount card online. You even upload a photo from your PC.

To do this you do need a "Digital Certificate" to identify you for obvious security reasons but these are easy to get. If you have a Spanish electronic DNI card you can get a card reader for your PC and use that.

As I said, giving everyone Internet access is essential to the success of this project, it is not a project in itself.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:05 am
Just Joined

holly-steve is an unknown quantity at this point

i have had discussions with granada satellites and their 'free wi-fi'.

i spoke to them a while ago about buying a sat dish, and whilst talking to the proprietor [an ex-builder chap from essex] i mentioned my experience in both satellite and cable business and also in i.t.

he immediately offered me a job and said i would be making xx amount of euros [it was too good to be true] installing the wi-fi systems in my area and he would call me back 'in the week'.

after a few weeks i called him and he had no recollection of ever speaking to me!

as for the 'free wi-fi', i would be very cautious about paying up front to use a service that supposedly is free - if companies like this were working with the junta de andalucia, the junta would make it known, but there are no mentions of the service on any junta websites, etc.

it is only my opinion but i believe these companies are taking advantage of a current 'loophole' in the juntas system that one day may be closed up and then you have a totally useless antenna on your roof [and less money in the bank].

steve g.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

The Andalucian initiative I referred to is a very big deal. It is not there just to provide access to the Internet, it is also there to provide access to the regional governments digital infrastructure and that is where most of the 2 billion will be going
Riiight! To quote a blind friend: "I see". This sounds a lot like the british "government gateway" that most businesses (and individuals use for submitting online tax returns) are signed up for - it also calls itself a portal. So most of the 2Bn is "funny money" from pre-existing budgets, consultancies etc. Not actual new cash that the Junta is finding, jst to give little 'ole me internet access to the house. Looking at the info, it seems that the internet will go to local centres, just as our Correos already offers free internet usage - which seems to be the entry on the guadalinfo website (look under "centros, top right-side) . There is also an experimental plan to roll out WiMax - but I first heard about this some 3 or 4 years ago, it doesn't look like much has developed since then
However, so far as this organisation offering free wifi goes, my "scam-tenna" is glowing red-hot. They seem to charge for installation (fair enough) and then leave you with the equipment you've bought from them - which will allow you to use the experimental WiFi / WiMax infrastructure in areas where it exists - whch doesn't seem to include my patch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.