Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free glass of water?

Free glass of water?

Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Free glass of water?

Someone once told me it's a legal obligation for ventas, bars, etc., to supply a glass of water free to anyone who asks. Is this true?
Cos other places always have (I do often buy paid-for bottles, so it's not because I'm tight!) but a restaurant the other day said they didn't have a glass of water I'd have to buy a bottle... I bought the bottle, but fumed inwardly without feeling confident enough to argue!
Old Aug 29th 2010, 4:59 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free glass of water?

I've not had a problem whenever I asked for a "agua del grifo" - I'm normally purchasing something else at the same time though. Having said that, I've seen teenagers often enter a bar and ask for a glass of water without any comment (or need to pay anything). These instances were in Madrid, where water quality is very good. If you're in the Valencia area on the other hand, I can't see anyone drinking the tap water, so in reality you'd pay for the bottled stuff?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've not had a problem whenever I asked for a "agua del grifo" - I'm normally purchasing something else at the same time though. Having said that, I've seen teenagers often enter a bar and ask for a glass of water without any comment (or need to pay anything). These instances were in Madrid, where water quality is very good. If you're in the Valencia area on the other hand, I can't see anyone drinking the tap water, so in reality you'd pay for the bottled stuff?
Largely what I thought...one bar owner tells us she's brassed off at the number of kids coming in just for water (and the loo, too!) but there's nothing she can do about it. So these chaps who told me I couldn't.. were they pulling a flanker on the grounds I didn't know?
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:23 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Largely what I thought...one bar owner tells us she's brassed off at the number of kids coming in just for water (and the loo, too!) but there's nothing she can do about it. So these chaps who told me I couldn't.. were they pulling a flanker on the grounds I didn't know?
Possibly, tho as someone posted, there's places where I'd rather pay for bottled. I'm so used to mine coming out of the ground with no taint of chlorine or god only knows what else, that when I get tap water like that, I just gag.

I usually drink Americanos, and I always ask for a small glass of tap water half full, as I find that smoothes the coffee.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the taste of tap water from here in the campo, don´t know what it would be like in town but ours tastes "twangy" spend a fortune on the bottled stuff though. But I am a fussy bugger. Thanks for the chillis Bil all sitting nestled in the freezer.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 5:53 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I hate the taste of tap water from here in the campo, don´t know what it would be like in town but ours tastes "twangy" spend a fortune on the bottled stuff though. But I am a fussy bugger. Thanks for the chillis Bil all sitting nestled in the freezer.
Good, glad you got them ok. Any time you want more, just give me a shout.
Old Aug 29th 2010, 7:54 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Good, glad you got them ok. Any time you want more, just give me a shout.

Hi bil did you say cut the tops off before freezing? I´ve been using them and they are delicious. I even popped one into the butternut squash when I cooked it, gorgeous. Oh and the chutney is absolutely divine.

JJ xx
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:06 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by jjh
Hi bil did you say cut the tops off before freezing? I´ve been using them and they are delicious. I even popped one into the butternut squash when I cooked it, gorgeous. Oh and the chutney is absolutely divine.

JJ xx
Well, it doesn't matter much. I prefer to clean them, cut off the stalks and then freeze them with the seeds in. That way they are ready to use straight out of the freezer.

Glad you liked the chutney, but it was supposed to be a fruit compote. I like it hot with vanilla ice cream.

Last edited by bil; Aug 30th 2010 at 1:09 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:19 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Well, it doesn't matter much. I prefer to clean them, cut off the stalks and then freeze them with the seeds in. That way they are ready to use straight out of the freezer.

Glad you liked the chutney, but it was supposed to be a fruit compote. I like it hot with vanilla ice cream.
Well I´ll try that as well. But it does go well with ham or cheese, you should try it. Thanks again.

JJ xx
Old Aug 30th 2010, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
spend a fortune on the bottled stuff though.
its 10c a litre in dia (if you have a store card)