Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freakonomics - Memories of Madrid

Freakonomics - Memories of Madrid

Old Jul 31st 2010, 4:37 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Freakonomics - Memories of Madrid

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.co...ies-of-madrid/

There is of course much about Madrid to recommend, including the Prado and Thyssen-Bornemisza museums and even the Museo del Jamon (see photo below); a Real Madrid match; a day trip to Toledo; the turtles in the train station’s jungle waiting area and other public art there (photos at left); and of course browsing in bookstores.
Summary:

A very thoughtful nation, or so it would appear.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:21 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Freakonomics - Memories of Madrid

I thought you were going to refer to the book.

If you ever see it, read it as it is well worth while. Full of fascinating connections, eg how the Roe (?) vs Wade abortion result in the US cut crime, and so on.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:25 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I thought you were going to refer to the book.

If you ever see it, read it as it is well worth while. Full of fascinating connections, eg how the Roe (?) vs Wade abortion result in the US cut crime, and so on.
I agree the book (well books - there's been at least one further edition) is worth reading. I put in the blog link though to get their impression of their stay in Madrid, although they didn't really stay long enough to get beyond the normal tourist activities.
Old Aug 1st 2010, 9:46 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the comment of the poses of the authors etc was amusing and perceptive.

You don't realise just how clichéd such a pose is until it is brought to your attention.