Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Foster Care Spain/Work in Alicante

Foster Care Spain/Work in Alicante

Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

JamesStewart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Foster Care Spain/Work in Alicante

My partner and myself are finding it hard getting information about foster care in Spain. We currently foster in the UK and plan to move to spain in the near/future. Some forums have stated that you can foster abroad? can anybody point me in the right direction?

Also I know there is a lot of negativity around finding work in spain however we would take any type of work as it would just be to beat boredom and to earn some pocket money. One of us has a lot of retail experience, and the other has a teachers degree, events management degree and has worked seasons abroad as an entertainer/animation team. We would however consider any type of work.

were happy to locate any tourist destinations surrounding Alicante.

Would much appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2014, 2:59 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foster Care Spain/Work in Alicante

Originally Posted by JamesStewart
My partner and myself are finding it hard getting information about foster care in Spain. We currently foster in the UK and plan to move to spain in the near/future. Some forums have stated that you can foster abroad? can anybody point me in the right direction?

Also I know there is a lot of negativity around finding work in spain however we would take any type of work as it would just be to beat boredom and to earn some pocket money. One of us has a lot of retail experience, and the other has a teachers degree, events management degree and has worked seasons abroad as an entertainer/animation team. We would however consider any type of work.

Thanks

I strongly suspect that you would need to be fluent in Spanish, and I really do mean fluent, to have any hope of fostering as those children needing fostering would be Spanish.

Work of any sort is difficult with an unemployment level of well over 30%, but there may be some in the entertainment field in the tourist areas like Benidorm etc.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply, I have read in a few other posts online that they do need foster careers for British children who are taken in to the care system?? I'm over there next week so will speak to the relevant offices if I can locate it.

I've heard so much bad feedback when it comes to job opportunities. We're both currently self employed but would not want the stress of being self employed if moving abroad, however at the moment this seems to be the best option so we will have to weigh up our options and see if any work is available before thinking of setting up a business in Spain.

Again thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted by mikelincs

I strongly suspect that you would need to be fluent in Spanish, and I really do mean fluent, to have any hope of fostering as those children needing fostering would be Spanish.

Work of any sort is difficult with an unemployment level of well over 30%, but there may be some in the entertainment field in the tourist areas like Benidorm etc.
Old Mar 28th 2014, 3:09 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply, I have read in a few other posts online that they do need foster careers for British children who are taken in to the care system?? I'm over there next week so will speak to the relevant offices if I can locate it.

I've heard so much bad feedback when it comes to job opportunities. We're both currently self employed but would not want the stress of being self employed if moving abroad, however at the moment this seems to be the best option so we will have to weigh up our options and see if any work is available before thinking of setting up a business in Spain.

Again thanks for your advice.
This is a new proposal, to foster local children in Spain as a means to obtain work? Have you been to Spain? Do you intend to remain in Spain for any considerable time?
Tell me that you are not just making this up on the spur of the moment. What about the children you currently foster in the UK, will you bring them with you or give them notice to quit?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:57 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I found this about fostering http://www.todopapas.com/ninos/psico...as-y-mamas-147
Old Mar 30th 2014, 9:11 am
Just Joined

We wouldn't need to give any notice for children as the placement is coming to an end in September due to the age of the girls we have placed. We would not be moving abroad if it effected the placement.

We've done this for many years so wondered if possible to do IF we move abroad. We heard that there are British children that need foster homes in Spain? If not then we would most likely adopt before moving as can't have children of our own.

We aim to move and stay there for the Long haul. We don't really need to work but as previous post states it would be good to give us something to do and a little pocket money.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:04 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

We wouldn't need to give any notice for children as the placement is coming to an end in September due to the age of the girls we have placed. We would not be moving abroad if it effected the placement.

We've done this for many years so wondered if possible to do IF we move abroad. We heard that there are British children that need foster homes in Spain? If not then we would most likely adopt before moving as can't have children of our own.

We aim to move and stay there for the Long haul. We don't really need to work but as previous post states it would be good to give us something to do and a little pocket money.
did you not see the link I posted?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:09 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Fostering in Spain is considered an act of generosity, it is not paid for , foster parents can receive help with special needs items and a few other things, but it is not a way to bring any extra money into the household.

There is not a culture of the state looking after the 'vulnerable', money is not given to any great extent to the more unfortunate in Spain.

Families are being evicted everyday, and unlike the UK there is no obligation to house children. And the children will not be taken unto care.

If their parents end up on the streets, so do they. So if anyone from the UK ends up homeless, I cannot imagine that their children will get any better treatment from social services than Spanish children who are on the streets either.

I know it is hard to understand when we are all in the EU, but the reality here is, if you are old with no pension, disabled, homeless with or without children, the authorities basically don't give a stuff.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:10 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
did you not see the link I posted?
I did
Old Mar 30th 2014, 4:29 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by me me
I did
phew!

I thought I'd imagined posting it!

I actually found it quite difficult to find anything tbh - I know it happens though, because my daughter has a friend who is fostered
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Fostering in Spain is considered an act of generosity, it is not paid for , foster parents can receive help with special needs items and a few other things, but it is not a way to bring any extra money into the household.
Seems to be creeping in according to this article, but whether they mean "cobrar" that is just to cover expenses, not sure, but it sounds like they are getting paid for fostering. No mention of figures of course. Seems they are copying the French and UK model.

http://www.20minutos.es/noticia/9805...onal/temporal/
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the advice. We go over next Saturday so going to seek further information whilst there.

Any ideas on who we would approach? British consulate maybe?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:37 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Thanks for all the advice. We go over next Saturday so going to seek further information whilst there.

Thanks again.
it looks like it's dealt with on a local basis as it is in the UK I believe - via the social services departments

I'd be very surprised if the British consulate was involved in any way, or had any info
Old Mar 31st 2014, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.
The link that lynxxa sent shows that you need to approach the relevant local authorities

It also said that you will need to fulfil some requisites. You need to show that you have a stable life with good health cover and a comfortable stable salary and be able to integrate them into society.

I am sure that this will mean that you must speak Spanish. Even if the children are British, of course they need integrating into a Spanish society, and you can only do that if you are fluent in Spanish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.