Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Foraging For Fruit

Foraging For Fruit

Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:50 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Foraging For Fruit

Morning guys,one of my many hobbies is foraging for fruit along the hedgerows of the very English country-side.
I pick blackberries,bilberrys,apples,plums,when they are in season,I was delighted this morning to come across a cherry tree laden with fruit,all just for the picking and for FREE, fresh and organic.
I tend to make pies and jam,a bit old fashioned,but there you go.

Does anyone know if there are fruits to pick from the wild in Spain,in particular around the Andalucia country-side.Im really going to miss this hobby if not...........
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:04 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Foraging For Fruit

Originally Posted by jandy44
Morning guys,one of my many hobbies is foraging for fruit along the hedgerows of the very English country-side.
I pick blackberries,bilberrys,apples,plums,when they are in season,I was delighted this morning to come across a cherry tree laden with fruit,all just for the picking and for FREE, fresh and organic.

Does anyone know if there are fruits to pick from the wild in Spain,in particular around the Andalucia country-side.Im really going to miss this hobby if not...........
Oh Jean you have just reminded me - last June we saw a group of mulberry trees (delicious fruit ) and said we would go back this year to pick the fruit. Think we will be making a trip out to the place next week
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:11 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Oh Jean you have just reminded me - last June we saw a group of mulberry trees (delicious fruit ) and said we would go back this year to pick the fruit. Think we will be making a trip out to the place next week
I have not come across them before,have to google, are you coming over for a holiday then ??
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:14 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

I have not come across them before,have to google, are you coming over for a holiday then ??

The trees are very knarled and ancient looking, the fruit is like a cross between strawberries and raspberries, large and red and very juicy, but with no seeds. In fact, when you pick them you have to be careful as they are soft fruit and the juice runs down your hand and arm so you look like you have had a terrrible accident wear plastic gloves.

We have seen the trees in England but the ones I am referring to are in Spain, Guadalest.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:22 am
Young at heart

The trees are very gnarled and ancient looking, the fruit is like a cross between strawberries and raspberries, large and red and very juicy, but with no seeds. In fact, when you pick them you have to be careful as they are soft fruit and the juice runs down your hand and arm so you look like you have had a terrible accident wear plastic gloves.

We have seen the trees in England but the ones I am referring to are in Spain, Guadalest.
Iv just googled and this is what I found :

Mulberry (Morus) is a genus of 10–16 species of deciduous trees native to warm temperate and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa and North America, with the majority of the species native to Asia.

The closely related genus Broussonetia is also commonly known as mulberry, notably the Paper Mulberry Broussonetia papyrifera.

Mulberries are fast-growing when young, but soon become slow-growing and rarely exceed 10-15 m tall. The leaves are alternately arranged, simple, often lobed, more often lobed on juvenile shoots than on mature trees, and serrated on the margin. The fruit is a multiple fruit, 2-3 cm long. Mulberries begin as white to pale yellow with pink edges. They are red when ripening. A fully ripened mulberry is dark purple to black, edible, and sweet with a good flavor in several species

Im surprised you have found some here,Iv never seen them,I will look out for them in Spain,I will remember to take the gloves.......:thumb up:
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:27 am
Popping in for a chat

Iv just googled and this is what I found :

Mulberry (Morus) is a genus of 10–16 species of deciduous trees native to warm temperate and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa and North America, with the majority of the species native to Asia.

The closely related genus Broussonetia is also commonly known as mulberry, notably the Paper Mulberry Broussonetia papyrifera.

Mulberries are fast-growing when young, but soon become slow-growing and rarely exceed 10-15 m tall. The leaves are alternately arranged, simple, often lobed, more often lobed on juvenile shoots than on mature trees, and serrated on the margin. The fruit is a multiple fruit, 2-3 cm long. Mulberries begin as white to pale yellow with pink edges. They are red when ripening. A fully ripened mulberry is dark purple to black, edible, and sweet with a good flavor in several species

Im surprised you have found some here,Iv never seen them,I will look out for them in Spain,I will remember to take the gloves.......:thumb up:
They really are delicious in a pie We lived on the south coast, can't remember seeing them in the north of England. It's warmer down south
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:30 am
Popping in for a chat

Just thought Jean - don't you mean whinberries - billberries is more of a southern name for them. We used to pick them every July back home - delicious!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:42 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Jandy I buy a huge amount of books from these guys, they have loads of books on Spain, and I got 4 in yesterday about Spain, try them, the best advice I can give you is to get a really good reference book.

There are a few wild fruits out there, I will look some up and post them, but yeah, mulberries where you can find then, carob where it has escaped......

http://www.nhbs.com/
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:43 am
Young at heart

Just thought Jean - don't you mean whinberries - bilberries is more of a southern name for them. We used to pick them every July back home - delicious!
Definitely bilberries, we go a drive into the Derbyshire dales for them,I used to pick them in abundance in Cheshire also......they make great jam
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:51 am
Popping in for a chat

Definitely bilberries, we go a drive into the Derbyshire dales for them,I used to pick them in abundance in Cheshire also......they make great jam
Maybe whinberry is more of a Lancashire name for them. They are delicious - Ooohhh you've got my mouth watering now
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:07 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Jandy I buy a huge amount of books from these guys, they have loads of books on Spain, and I got 4 in yesterday about Spain, try them, the best advice I can give you is to get a really good reference book.

There are a few wild fruits out there, I will look some up and post them, but yeah, mulberries where you can find then, carob where it has escaped......

http://www.nhbs.com/
Thanks for the link,another in favorites.......Cheers
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Just down the road from you..oranges, lemons, nisperos ?, avocado's. pommegranets, they appear wild but watch out for the shotguns...!!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Question about fruit or not? Have seen a lot of trees near us which seem to have a fruit(?) which is reddish in colour and is prickly like a conker. Anyone any ideas what tree it is?
Old Jul 8th 2007, 12:51 pm
Young at heart

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Just down the road from you..oranges, lemons, nisperos ?, avocado's. pommegranets, they appear wild but watch out for the shotguns...!!
Lol It would be just my luck,stuck up a tree with a bullet in my arse
Old Jul 8th 2007, 2:48 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lol It would be just my luck,stuck up a tree with a bullet in my arse

karma for that one Jean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.