Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Flying with Monarch

Flying with Monarch

Old Jan 10th 2012, 10:47 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with Monarch

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel
How many more times?

All the extra charges are clearly shown on Ryanair, Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2, BMIBaby websites etc etc during the booking process. They ain't hidden. If you don't want to pay the onboard prices for drinks and snacks then take your own or go without.

indeed, or you can fly with companies who include everything and have no "so called" surprises. However, you'll probably pay more than double for that privilege

Jo xxx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

How many more times?

All the extra charges are clearly shown on Ryanair, Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2, BMIBaby websites etc etc during the booking process. They ain't hidden. If you don't want to pay the onboard prices for drinks and snacks then take your own or go without.
exactly - how many more times?

Ryanair advertise "flights from........."
you will only find out all the extras relating to the flight after you have selected your flight and then find that that one has a higher tax rate than another as well as all the transactional charges.
walk in to a shop and see a product for sale at €x you will not expect to have taxes and other transactional charges added at the till.
(although I remember having to pay taxes as an extra in Florida shops but that was decades ago)

Oh I would love to take my own drink onboard, but unlike the ferrys and chunnel I am not allowed to do so and have to buy either inflated priced items airside or on the plane.
I am waiting for the customs checks to ban food in case it is used to blow up a plane to give the airside rip off merchants more profit.

So get real - and stop promoting dual standards for the rip off merchants
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:46 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino

you will only find out all the extras relating to the flight after you have selected your flight and then find that that one has a higher tax rate than another as well as all the transactional charges.
walk in to a shop and see a product for sale at €x you will not expect to have taxes and other transactional charges added at the till.
(although I remember having to pay taxes as an extra in Florida shops but that was decades ago)

Oh I would love to take my own drink onboard, but unlike the ferrys and chunnel I am not allowed to do so and have to buy either inflated priced items airside or on the plane.
I am waiting for the customs checks to ban food in case it is used to blow up a plane to give the airside rip off merchants more profit.

You can take your own food and drink on board, just not alcohol and the reason is that the cabin crew need to be able to monitor how much alcohol people are consuming in case of an emergency - or an out of control drunk!. Is it really that difficult to go two hours without???

We all have the choice, there are many airlines who fly to Spain, you dont have to take the cheap option

Jo xxx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:04 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You can take your own food and drink on board, just not alcohol and the reason is that the cabin crew need to be able to monitor how much alcohol people are consuming in case of an emergency - or an out of control drunk!. Is it really that difficult to go two hours without???

We all have the choice, there are many airlines who fly to Spain, you dont have to take the cheap option

Jo xxx
the last time I went thru customs at Stansted they wouldnt allow open or unopen water bottles so how do you get drink thru ? ?
as I hate flying and heights in general a snorter or two before a flight might seem like a good idea but I refuse to give in to it - too often, so I restrict it to water.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

Sorry but you are wrong. Do what I have just done at www.ryanair.com and search for ALC-LGW out 19/01/12. For 19 January it says 'low fares available' underneath that it says:

Adult No taxes €37.99 then flight number and times.

On the right hand side it gives the breakdown of the €37.99 cost (fare €29.99, taxes & fees €0.00, online check-in €6.00, EU261 levy €2.00, total €37.99).

If you happened to have just recently beamed down from Mars then you know that if you want to take hold baggage you pay more as you do with Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2 etc etc.

Take you own sandwiches and snacks and buy water airside or don't bother flying as it seems to make you so miserable.

Last edited by SpanishAngel; Jan 10th 2012 at 12:24 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:29 pm

Sorry but you are wrong. Do what I have just done at www.ryanair.com and search for ALC-LGW out 19/01/12. For 19 January it says 'low fares available' underneath that it says:

Adult No taxes €37.99 then flight number and times.

On the right hand side it gives the breakdown of the €37.99 cost (fare €29.99, taxes & fees €0.00, online check-in €6.00, EU261 levy €2.00, total €37.99).

If you happened to have just recently beamed down from Mars then you know that if you want to take hold baggage you pay more as you do with Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2 etc etc.

Take you own sandwiches and snacks and buy water airside or don't bother flying as it seems to make you so miserable.
Mars is a very nice place, no white men talking with forked tongue for their own purposes
and there are no charges for extra baggage on the beam down, its a single standard price.

Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

SpanishAngel will become famous soon enoughSpanishAngel will become famous soon enough

Is that your way of saying you are wrong?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:41 pm
squeaky clean

the last time I went thru customs at Stansted they wouldnt allow open or unopen water bottles so how do you get drink thru ? ?
as I hate flying and heights in general a snorter or two before a flight might seem like a good idea but I refuse to give in to it - too often, so I restrict it to water.

You can take your own food and drink on board - you simply buy it airside - I still cant work out the problem, its a two hour flight, a bus ride, you wont starve or dehydrate without either for that length of time. But if you wish to fly in luxury, and be pampered then go on an airline that will do that for you - at a cost!!!

Jo xxx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:42 pm

Is that your way of saying you are wrong?
your weird
if I am wrong I will say so
you can interpret how you like, you do with other things
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Then say so. Don't talk in riddles or have you been having a few 'snorters'?
Old Jan 10th 2012, 12:48 pm

You can take your own food and drink on board - you simply buy it airside - I still cant work out the problem, its a two hour flight, a bus ride, you wont starve or dehydrate without either for that length of time. But if you wish to fly in luxury, and be pampered then go on an airline that will do that for you - at a cost!!!

Jo xxx
Jo I have no problems about the starving and dehydration from a flight and hour bus ride, although there is usually a 30m+ gap between the two

the way you keep saying I should take the luxury option perhaps you have a franchise for one of the airlines or get a commission

perhaps I should hire my own plane and do it properly........
Old Jan 10th 2012, 1:47 pm
squeaky clean

Jo I have no problems about the starving and dehydration from a flight and hour bus ride, although there is usually a 30m+ gap between the two

the way you keep saying I should take the luxury option perhaps you have a franchise for one of the airlines or get a commission

perhaps I should hire my own plane and do it properly........
Well two of my daughters and a son in law work for Thomas Cook airlines - well for now ????

apart from that my husband used to commute to Spain and back once a week, so reaped the benefits of a cheap "bus service" type flight!

jo xxx
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:05 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

If only all of the worlds problems were as easy to solve as this one.

You buy a bottle after going through security........

You dont have to die of thirst just because you cannot bring your own from home.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
If only all of the worlds problems were as easy to solve as this one.

You buy a bottle after going through security........

You dont have to die of thirst just because you cannot bring your own from home.
My comment was made because of............

Jo xxx
and all I was doing was proving that statement isnt quite correct.
You cannot take your own food and drink onboard, you have to buy something airside as was said later...

So what happens if an individual has special dietary needs that cannot be met airside ? Presumably there is a procedure, although at the moment I have no need of it.

There was a moment when I thought it was me being pedantic, but it seems to be others who have the problem. No such problems when flying with Amelia Earheart when I took my first flight back in 1964, times have changed, things have changed - not all for the better.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 3:41 pm
squeaky clean

My comment was made because of............

and all I was doing was proving that statement isnt quite correct.
You cannot take your own food and drink onboard, you have to buy something airside as was said later...

So what happens if an individual has special dietary needs that cannot be met airside ? Presumably there is a procedure, although at the moment I have no need of it.

There was a moment when I thought it was me being pedantic, but it seems to be others who have the problem. No such problems when flying with Amelia Earheart when I took my first flight back in 1964, times have changed, things have changed - not all for the better.

No, you ARE being pedantic. the food and drink you buy airside is YOURS (unless you want to bring a packed lunch and a flask from home)! But what the heck, you wont starve or dehydrate. If it really is too much of an ordeal then go with an all inclusive airline who will feed and water you throughout the flight - go first class and you'll even get more leg room, leather seats and a curtain to segregate you from the "great unwashed" LOL!! thats the beauty of life today, we have choices, all possible forms of transport are available - at a cost - or not! Flying doesnt have to be a ritual or a grand occasion anymore - it can be just a means of transport.

Jo xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.