British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Flying with Monarch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/flying-monarch-741707/)

VFR Dec 12th 2011 6:02 am

Flying with Monarch

It would seem that you cannot book in on-line unless you pre-select a seat & pay for it.
So should my friend who is traveling to the UK soon & who wishes to take any seat (she is not used to the new systems) simply turn up and book in at a desk as she is used to. ?
From reading their FAQ it would seem to be the case, but I told her I will ask those of you who often fly with Monarch to confirm.

We read that Ryan etc will charge a tidy sum to book in at the airport should you fail to print off your boarding pass yourself, indeed their website says this (ish)

Lynn R Dec 12th 2011 6:27 am

Re: Flying with Monarch

Yes, if you don't want to pay extra to choose a seat and check-in online with Monarch, you just go to the check-in desk and get allocated a seat and given your boarding pass there. I did it last weekend.

VFR Dec 12th 2011 6:35 am

Thanks Lynn.
Guess she will have to wait until all the pre-bookers have gone on though to see what is left.

pwwm Dec 12th 2011 9:04 am

no they will have it all on computers who is allocated what seat, they will just allocate her one at check in. easy peasy

Mitzyboy Dec 12th 2011 7:59 pm

I fell for that one when I came back with them last month. It didn't occur to me to not book in online

VFR Dec 13th 2011 4:29 am

Of course pwwm I forgot about that. :confused:

BTW how did you all find them over the usual Ryan/Easy etc as I will bear this mind for the future if flying.

wizzard2 Dec 13th 2011 7:13 am

I flew Monarch a couple of weeks ago,If you wish to book in on line,you are given an aeroplane design picture and you pick any seat that is still available.
If you do not book in on line you use the normal check in procedures,I did and ask if it would be possible to have an aisle seat,within seconds she checked her terminal and replied,it certainly would be sir,which side of the plane would you like,I told her,and her words were 'you got it'.
Only fall back is the time it may take you to book in may be a lot longer than ryanair,but politeness and hospitality,from Monarch so far above Ryanair that the wait is worth it.
Much more enjoyable journey,than Ryanair,would fly with them if they were price comparable to Ryanairs prices,Hold luggage also 5kilo more as well,and boarding is not one mad rush,plane is boarded in sections:)

Lynn R Dec 13th 2011 8:15 pm

My flight from Manchester to Malaga last Sunday was OK (but not boarded in sections, so that must vary at different airports). I too was allocated an aisle seat on request at check-in, albeit that it was right at the back of the plane.

However, I am still hacked off at them because I originally booked to fly the following day (Monday) as they are the only airline which offered an afternoon departure time from Manchester to Malaga. A few weeks ago they e-mailed me to say they had changed the time of my flight to 7.30 am. No way was I prepared to get up at 3.30 am to enable me to get to the airport 2 hours prior to departure, so I ended up having to cut my already short visit even shorter and come back a day earlier when there was still an afternoon flight available. I know other airlines also change their schedules at fairly short notice, but I do wish they wouldn't as it really messes up people's travel plans. :frown:

adra04778 Dec 14th 2011 9:26 am

Playamonte

If your friend hasn't travelled with Monarch before, she will need to register her passsport number with them online before she travels, forgot what they call it, sure some one will tell you now though, I am flying into Manchester myself on Sunday night from Malaga, do they usually arrive on time, I normally fly out of Almeria but they have stopped the flights, I am hoping we will get in early, for the train times Lol !

Lynn R Dec 14th 2011 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by adra04778 (Post 9788967)
Playamonte

If your friend hasn't travelled with Monarch before, she will need to register her passsport number with them online before she travels, forgot what they call it, sure some one will tell you now though, I am flying into Manchester myself on Sunday night from Malaga, do they usually arrive on time, I normally fly out of Almeria but they have stopped the flights, I am hoping we will get in early, for the train times Lol !

I hope your flight does arrive early, or at least on time. Once (before we moved over here permanently) I was taking the Monarch afternoon flight from Manchester to Malaga and arrived at the airport to find there was a 5 hour delay. This meant that instead of taking the bus from the airport and then from Malaga city centre to my destination (total cost just over 4€) I had to take a taxi instead, which cost over 60€ even then. I asked if they would pay the additional costs which I had no choice but to incur due to their delay, but guess what, the answer was no.

I would dearly like to use another airline if possible, but whilst they continue to be the only one offering afternoon departure times on my route (at least in theory!) I have to grit my teeth and book with them.:thumbdown:

SpanishAngel Dec 14th 2011 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by adra04778 (Post 9788967)
Playamonte

API - Advance passenger information.

http://www.monarch.co.uk/faq/flights...er-information

Guardamar4me Dec 16th 2011 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9787568)
However, I am still hacked off at them because I originally booked to fly the following day (Monday) as they are the only airline which offered an afternoon departure time from Manchester to Malaga. A few weeks ago they e-mailed me to say they had changed the time of my flight to 7.30 am. No way was I prepared to get up at 3.30 am to enable me to get to the airport 2 hours prior to departure, so I ended up having to cut my already short visit even shorter and come back a day earlier when there was still an afternoon flight available. I know other airlines also change their schedules at fairly short notice, but I do wish they wouldn't as it really messes up people's travel plans. :frown:

Every year we prebook our flights with Monarch and every year they e-mail us to tell us at least one of our flights has been cancelled and to rearrange! Bizarre way to run a business :thumbdown:

Lynn R Dec 16th 2011 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Guardamar4me (Post 9792706)
Every year we prebook our flights with Monarch and every year they e-mail us to tell us at least one of our flights has been cancelled and to rearrange! Bizarre way to run a business :thumbdown:

I quite agree. Being a glutton for punishment, I've just booked my next return trip from Malaga to Manchester for next June. I've booked to come back on a Sunday, on the afternoon flight, as last time they changed the Monday flight to early morning but left the Sunday flight unchanged. What's the betting I get the usual email a few weeks before departure?

Guardamar4me Dec 16th 2011 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9792912)
I quite agree. Being a glutton for punishment, I've just booked my next return trip from Malaga to Manchester for next June. I've booked to come back on a Sunday, on the afternoon flight, as last time they changed the Monday flight to early morning but left the Sunday flight unchanged. What's the betting I get the usual email a few weeks before departure?

I booked next years flights in September. In November, I received e-mails telling me 2 flights were cancelled. How on earth can they organise flights 12 months in advance and change their minds 6 weeks later? :confused::confused::confused:

Lynn R Jan 6th 2012 11:19 pm

Surprise, surprise! I booked a return flight with Monarch from Malaga to Manchester on 16 December, and they e-mailed me yesterday to say that they have changed the time of my return flight. AGAIN! At least this time it has only been altered too 1.5 hours earlier so I can still come back in the afternoon.

Why can't this company fix their schedules and stick to them?

Nigeljay Jan 7th 2012 12:24 am

I've flown with Monarch from Manchester to Alicante on average around eight return trips a year for the last five years and they have never changed the flight time ( it was delayed once due to technical problems). Maybe it's a Malaga airport problem rather than wholly a Monarch problem.

Countryboy1 Jan 7th 2012 2:25 am

Originally Posted by wizzard2 (Post 9786537)
Only fall back is the time it may take you to book in may be a lot longer than ryanair,but politeness and hospitality,from Monarch so far above Ryanair that the wait is worth it.
Much more enjoyable journey,than Ryanair,would fly with them if they were price comparable to Ryanairs prices,Hold luggage also 5kilo more as well,and boarding is not one mad rush,plane is boarded in sections:)

Flew out at Christmas to the UK with Monarch and back with Ryanair. The difference between the two in standards is very marked. I will never travel with Ryanair again. The scramble to get on board was akin to being caught up in the New Year sales! Absolute chaos.
A few rows in front of us, a young eastern-european couple were on the same row and each in aisle seats. For most of the journey they were sat with their legs out into the aisle facing one other, each of them with one earpiece from the same set of headphones in their ears listening to music from an ipod. No member of crew spoke to them about this and only asked them to move their feet when the trolleys had to pass. They could not have had their seat belts fastened at any stage and no crew checked on them or any other passengers' belts.
By the end of the flight the male was totally drunk and shouting. As we came in to land he left his seat on several occasions and began opening the overhead lockers. As we left the plane the unfortunate people who had been seated next to him told us that he had been swigging from a bottle of vodka throughout the flight.
At one point, the sandwich trolley was next to me and the 'stewardess' who had a mouth as loud as a fog-horn shouted back to the galley at the top of her voice "Any cheese sarnies, cheese butties back there?".
I understand the reasons for being economical these days with personal finances but I'm at a loss why anyone would choose this airline and pay to be treated like cattle.
Before anyone asks, the flights were chosen and paid for by my daughter as a present!

Mitzyboy Jan 7th 2012 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Biffta (Post 9826790)
Flew out at Christmas to the UK with Monarch and back with Ryanair. The difference between the two in standards is very marked. I will never travel with Ryanair again. The scramble to get on board was akin to being caught up in the New Year sales! Absolute chaos.
A few rows in front of us, a young eastern-european couple were on the same row and each in aisle seats. For most of the journey they were sat with their legs out into the aisle facing one other, each of them with one earpiece from the same set of headphones in their ears listening to music from an ipod. No member of crew spoke to them about this and only asked them to move their feet when the trolleys had to pass. They could not have had their seat belts fastened at any stage and no crew checked on them or any other passengers' belts.
By the end of the flight the male was totally drunk and shouting. As we came in to land he left his seat on several occasions and began opening the overhead lockers. As we left the plane the unfortunate people who had been seated next to him told us that he had been swigging from a bottle of vodka throughout the flight.
At one point, the sandwich trolley was next to me and the 'stewardess' who had a mouth as loud as a fog-horn shouted back to the galley at the top of her voice "Any cheese sarnies, cheese butties back there?".
I understand the reasons for being economical these days with personal finances but I'm at a loss why anyone would choose this airline and pay to be treated like cattle.
Before anyone asks, the flights were chosen and paid for by my daughter as a present!

Well, I travel with Ryanair quite regularly and have never experienced anything like that. Peoples expectations and experiences are different, and if you stick to the rules with Ryanair there is normally nothing to complain about.

Lynn R Jan 7th 2012 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Nigeljay (Post 9826679)
I've flown with Monarch from Manchester to Alicante on average around eight return trips a year for the last five years and they have never changed the flight time ( it was delayed once due to technical problems). Maybe it's a Malaga airport problem rather than wholly a Monarch problem.

I fly from Malaga to other places, with a variety of airlines, at least three times a year and have never experienced the kind of problems which affect the Monarch flights EVERY time I book them, so that leads me to believe it's not Malaga airport which is at fault.

Nigeljay Jan 7th 2012 6:50 am

Well I didn't express it very well. I don't mean Malaga airport per se but rather some aspect of Monarch at Malaga.

VFR Jan 7th 2012 6:13 pm

Well my friend is back now.
Going out was very smooth and easy from the new terminal at Alicante, no queue at the desk, no check on the size of her carry on (I did measure it was correct though) and she enjoyed the experience.

Coming back was stressful she said from Gatwick as the plane was full this time & as all the passengers had a carry on case this caused a little delay as they had to move quite a few to the hold.
Apparently the pilot even said that this issue of carry ons will be tackled in the new year as it often causes a delay but what the outcome will be he did not know.

My guess is that they will make a charge in the future to take a carry on case into the cabin as the amount of overhead lockers are a good deal less than the amount of seats available as the planes were never designed to accommodate this amount of luggage in the first place should the plane be full.

A mate used Ryan before Xmas and on the way back had to put his case on the floor with his feet perched on top for the whole journey back, he was not pleased of course seeing as he is also a tall lad with a dodgy back.

Oh well time will tell ?

Mitzyboy Jan 8th 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by playamonte (Post 9827947)
Well my friend is back now.
Going out was very smooth and easy from the new terminal at Alicante, no queue at the desk, no check on the size of her carry on (I did measure it was correct though) and she enjoyed the experience.

Coming back was stressful she said from Gatwick as the plane was full this time & as all the passengers had a carry on case this caused a little delay as they had to move quite a few to the hold.
Apparently the pilot even said that this issue of carry ons will be tackled in the new year as it often causes a delay but what the outcome will be he did not know.

My guess is that they will make a charge in the future to take a carry on case into the cabin as the amount of overhead lockers are a good deal less than the amount of seats available as the planes were never designed to accommodate this amount of luggage in the first place should the plane be full.

A mate used Ryan before Xmas and on the way back had to put his case on the floor with his feet perched on top for the whole journey back, he was not pleased of course seeing as he is also a tall lad with a dodgy back.

Oh well time will tell ?

I'm really not surprised because on both Monarch and Ryanair I have seen problems with the size and amount of carry on cases. But then its a problem of their own making because if the charge people such high prices for putting a case in the hold then people will try to put all they can in the hand baggage.

Once one starts to charge for cabin baggage (which imho will be a ridiculous move) then they all will. Will people be charged then for a handbag then? Perhaps we should then take them to a tribunal for sexism!!!! :D

Countryboy1 Jan 8th 2012 7:52 pm

It's perhaps always mistake to reminisce about 'the old days', in this case however I'm only talking about 10 years or so with Monarch, but here goes.
Boarding you would be met by crew members giving out complimentary newspapers and magazines. Once seated you were given a menu card outlining the choice of meals available (again complimentary), 3 courses plus cheese & biscuits plus coffee or tea. Then the drinks trolley offering complimentary drinks including choices of wine with a choice of free nibbles.
Free headphones were also distributed for the in-flight entertainment.
After the food had been consumed, you were then offered more tea or coffee if required.
All very relaxed and civilised.
What a disaster it was IMO when airlines began having to compete in a race to the bottom with newer carriers, encouraging on board the new type of traveller who willingly spends more on alcohol in the airport bar and on the plane than the ticket price and 20 times the cost of the fare on his/her new tracksuit and trainers.
Of course all these 'free' things were not free at all, but paid for in the ticket price, but I don't recall people generally complaining that air-fairs were too expensive. It was only when the 'cattle russlers' entered with bucket price fares that the lowest price became the only yardstick.

Domino Jan 8th 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Biffta (Post 9829873)
It's perhaps always mistake to reminisce about 'the old days', in this case however I'm only talking about 10 years or so with Monarch, but here goes.
Boarding you would be met by crew members giving out complimentary newspapers and magazines. Once seated you were given a menu card outlining the choice of meals available (again complimentary), 3 courses plus cheese & biscuits plus coffee or tea. Then the drinks trolley offering complimentary drinks including choices of wine with a choice of free nibbles.
Free headphones were also distributed for the in-flight entertainment.
After the food had been consumed, you were then offered more tea or coffee if required.
All very relaxed and civilised.
What a disaster it was IMO when airlines began having to compete in a race to the bottom with newer carriers, encouraging on board the new type of traveller who willingly spends more on alcohol in the airport bar and on the plane than the ticket price and 20 times the cost of the fare on his/her new tracksuit and trainers.
Of course all these 'free' things were not free at all, but paid for in the ticket price, but I don't recall people generally complaining that air-fairs were too expensive. It was only when the 'cattle russlers' entered with bucket price fares that the lowest price became the only yardstick.

so what you are saying is that the airlines came down to the "sub-standard" of the railways ??
which when you think about it, even the departure lounges arent much better than a major rail terminus........

SpanishAngel Jan 9th 2012 12:48 am

I remember those days as well but whilst everything might have seemed 'complimentary' we were paying for it all in the flight price. My first ever flight to Alicante from the UK was nearly £200 return and that was 15 years ago. For a 2 hour flight what do you want other than to arrive in one piece and on time? Do I really want a 3 course meal, cheese and wine at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and have to bolt it down to get the duty free service completed before landing?

jojojojojo Jan 9th 2012 12:52 am

Budget airlines are great - a bus service, which is all you need when flying two hours from Gatwick to Spain. My flight to and from Malaga are less than half the price of a return trainfare from London to Newcastle!!

Jo xxx

johnnyone Jan 9th 2012 8:50 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9830401)
Budget airlines are great - a bus service, which is all you need when flying two hours from Gatwick to Spain. My flight to and from Malaga are less than half the price of a return trainfare from London to Newcastle!!

Jo xxx

You are not comparing like with like.
You can get a return to Newcastle for around £35 if you book a month in advance.

Domino Jan 9th 2012 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9830388)
I remember those days as well but whilst everything might have seemed 'complimentary' we were paying for it all in the flight price. My first ever flight to Alicante from the UK was nearly £200 return and that was 15 years ago. For a 2 hour flight what do you want other than to arrive in one piece and on time? Do I really want a 3 course meal, cheese and wine at 3 o'clock in the afternoon and have to bolt it down to get the duty free service completed before landing?

ISTR people complaining because they didnt get their "complimentary" because the plane was late and not loaded during turn round.

However, at least you knew that was all it was going to cost you rather than ending up paying more for "extras" than the flight as with RyanAir.

jojojojojo Jan 9th 2012 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 9831270)
You are not comparing like with like.
You can get a return to Newcastle for around £35 if you book a month in advance.

So it costs a pound less than my flight from Gatwick to Malaga a month in advance then - In fact I could have got it cheaper but had to pick my times!!!

Anyway, I'm not knocking flights and fortunately I dont use trains in the UK

Jo xxxx

SpanishAngel Jan 9th 2012 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9832168)
However, at least you knew that was all it was going to cost you rather than ending up paying more for "extras" than the flight as with RyanAir.

How many more times?:ohmy:

All the extra charges are clearly shown on Ryanair, Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2, BMIBaby websites etc etc during the booking process. They ain't hidden. If you don't want to pay the onboard prices for drinks and snacks then take your own or go without.

jojojojojo Jan 9th 2012 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9832499)

All the extra charges are clearly shown on Ryanair, Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2, BMIBaby websites etc etc during the booking process. They ain't hidden. If you don't want to pay the onboard prices for drinks and snacks then take your own or go without.

indeed, or you can fly with companies who include everything and have no "so called" surprises. However, you'll probably pay more than double for that privilege

Jo xxx

Domino Jan 9th 2012 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9832499)

exactly - how many more times? :ohmy:

Ryanair advertise "flights from........."
you will only find out all the extras relating to the flight after you have selected your flight and then find that that one has a higher tax rate than another as well as all the transactional charges.
walk in to a shop and see a product for sale at €x you will not expect to have taxes and other transactional charges added at the till.
(although I remember having to pay taxes as an extra in Florida shops but that was decades ago)

Oh I would love to take my own drink onboard, but unlike the ferrys and chunnel I am not allowed to do so and have to buy either inflated priced items airside or on the plane.
I am waiting for the customs checks to ban food in case it is used to blow up a plane to give the airside rip off merchants more profit.

So get real - and stop promoting dual standards for the rip off merchants

jojojojojo Jan 9th 2012 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9832534)

you will only find out all the extras relating to the flight after you have selected your flight and then find that that one has a higher tax rate than another as well as all the transactional charges.
walk in to a shop and see a product for sale at €x you will not expect to have taxes and other transactional charges added at the till.
(although I remember having to pay taxes as an extra in Florida shops but that was decades ago)

Oh I would love to take my own drink onboard, but unlike the ferrys and chunnel I am not allowed to do so and have to buy either inflated priced items airside or on the plane.
I am waiting for the customs checks to ban food in case it is used to blow up a plane to give the airside rip off merchants more profit.

You can take your own food and drink on board, just not alcohol and the reason is that the cabin crew need to be able to monitor how much alcohol people are consuming in case of an emergency - or an out of control drunk!. Is it really that difficult to go two hours without???

We all have the choice, there are many airlines who fly to Spain, you dont have to take the cheap option

Jo xxx

Domino Jan 10th 2012 12:04 am

Originally Posted by jojojojojo (Post 9832602)
You can take your own food and drink on board, just not alcohol and the reason is that the cabin crew need to be able to monitor how much alcohol people are consuming in case of an emergency - or an out of control drunk!. Is it really that difficult to go two hours without???

We all have the choice, there are many airlines who fly to Spain, you dont have to take the cheap option

Jo xxx

the last time I went thru customs at Stansted they wouldnt allow open or unopen water bottles so how do you get drink thru ? ?
as I hate flying and heights in general a snorter or two before a flight might seem like a good idea but I refuse to give in to it - too often, so I restrict it to water.

SpanishAngel Jan 10th 2012 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9832534)

Sorry but you are wrong. Do what I have just done at www.ryanair.com and search for ALC-LGW out 19/01/12. For 19 January it says 'low fares available' underneath that it says:

Adult No taxes €37.99 then flight number and times.

On the right hand side it gives the breakdown of the €37.99 cost (fare €29.99, taxes & fees €0.00, online check-in €6.00, EU261 levy €2.00, total €37.99).

If you happened to have just recently beamed down from Mars then you know that if you want to take hold baggage you pay more as you do with Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2 etc etc.

Take you own sandwiches and snacks and buy water airside or don't bother flying as it seems to make you so miserable.

Domino Jan 10th 2012 12:29 am

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9832663)
Sorry but you are wrong. Do what I have just done at www.ryanair.com and search for ALC-LGW out 19/01/12. For 19 January it says 'low fares available' underneath that it says:

Adult No taxes €37.99 then flight number and times.

On the right hand side it gives the breakdown of the €37.99 cost (fare €29.99, taxes & fees €0.00, online check-in €6.00, EU261 levy €2.00, total €37.99).

If you happened to have just recently beamed down from Mars then you know that if you want to take hold baggage you pay more as you do with Easyjet, Monarch, Jet2 etc etc.

Take you own sandwiches and snacks and buy water airside or don't bother flying as it seems to make you so miserable.

Mars is a very nice place, no white men talking with forked tongue for their own purposes
and there are no charges for extra baggage on the beam down, its a single standard price.

SpanishAngel Jan 10th 2012 12:35 am

Is that your way of saying you are wrong?

jojojojojo Jan 10th 2012 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9832640)
the last time I went thru customs at Stansted they wouldnt allow open or unopen water bottles so how do you get drink thru ? ?
as I hate flying and heights in general a snorter or two before a flight might seem like a good idea but I refuse to give in to it - too often, so I restrict it to water.

You can take your own food and drink on board - you simply buy it airside - I still cant work out the problem, its a two hour flight, a bus ride, you wont starve or dehydrate without either for that length of time. But if you wish to fly in luxury, and be pampered then go on an airline that will do that for you - at a cost!!!

Jo xxx

Domino Jan 10th 2012 12:42 am

Originally Posted by SpanishAngel (Post 9832690)
Is that your way of saying you are wrong?

your weird
if I am wrong I will say so
you can interpret how you like, you do with other things

SpanishAngel Jan 10th 2012 12:46 am

Then say so. Don't talk in riddles or have you been having a few 'snorters'?