Reload this Page >

Fly by night or savvy move?

Fly by night or savvy move?

Old May 7th 2009, 1:44 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fly by night or savvy move?

Originally Posted by Veleta
I think Granada city would be a good choice for you....combines the history & culture with your skiing needs and (assuming you don't already speak Spanish) has a great choice of language academies. Very cold in winter but who cares...the sun loses its novelty value after a while and you get plenty of it in summer anyway. Also consider Madrid or Toledo (lovely)...which have ski resorts nearby.

If you just avoid the small towns on the Costas I'm sure you will avoid all the things you dislike about Spain.

Oh, and if you are worried about land grabbing....just don't buy a house with land!
I´ll go with that Granada is absolutely beautifull, lots of culture and Sierra Nevada as you already now. Worth checking it out!
Old May 7th 2009, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Or have a look around the Catalonia region, Barcelona is the most beautiful city on Earth (IMO) and you can weekend board in Andorra or take a drive into the Alps.
I'm a boarder myself and have now missed two seasons, which I'm gutted about. But next season I'll be off to Teruel (2 hour drive) with the little one (4 years old by then) and then maybe a trip or two into the alps or pyrenees.

If you haven't got money issues then for god's sake do it.

If you do it and it doesn't work out you can move on or go back to Manny.
If you don't do it and it would have been great you can't turn the clock back!

Good luck with whatever you do.

Ste.
Old May 7th 2009, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

We have a holiday home about 30 mins from Granada, cheap flights from Liverpool to Granada airport, it is a bit chilly in the winter time but we still visit because the quality of light and even sunny January days do lift the spirit.
I love Granada because it's such a small but proper city. you can sit iin a street cafe in lovely sunshine and look at the snow-capped Sierras and of course the Alambra. Loads of great places to visit by bus or rail. Cordoba, Seville etc. or the coast. I think the Costa Tropical is lovely and a lot of our Spanish neighbours go there for their hols.
Also , in Granada Province, you always get a free tapa with a cold drink, not justa few peanuts either , pork stew, soused anchovies, local ham and cheese etc. I defy you to eat a meal after a few of these!

I saw a film on Spanish T.V. although it was in English called "Death in Granada" all about Frederico Garcia Lorca, it starred Andy Garcia, that was set in Granada. Very moving and although may not be true to that era, definitely made me want to know more about the history of that sad period.
We have been told there are lots of unmarked roadside graves between our small town and the next village. War is a terrible thing but a civil war seems even worse to me.

My Spanish is dire, I do try but since our neighbours speak no English, sign language goes a long way. Plus Andalucian has its own dialect, although I'd say it's more of a verbal shorthand.

The cost of living must vary, but there is a standing charge for electricity, water isn't that cheap, and in our area you have to like pork.
Spain is so vast and there are some amazing places, but at least all are within the same country and not too far from the U.K.

Forgot to mention, we looked at France but everywhere closed at 7pm, in Spain we often don't go out until 11pm!

Last edited by Casita; May 7th 2009 at 3:57 pm. Reason: Extra info
Old May 7th 2009, 4:03 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont agree, this is a myth ...... for instance a very short drive from me
I wasn't suggesting that there were NO buildings of antiquity or interesting history at the costas, but if you want to live in a location with those facets as a primary interest, then much of the costa area would not suit as well as some of the other places mentioned.
Old May 7th 2009, 4:40 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

History & culture are 2 different things. There are some wonderful places of historic interest, beautiful architecture etc all over Spain.
My post, which seems to have been misinterpreted, said that (outside of cities and the costas) typical pueblo CULTURE is...not to my taste/pretty dull (on the whole!).
Old May 7th 2009, 4:42 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
We have been considering Granada as it is between the coast and Sierra Nevada - (Snowboarding addicts!)
thanks again

Nic
Minor correction, the Sierra Nevada are between the coast and Granada!

I live on the south side of the Sierra Nevada in a region called Las Alpujarras, it is quaint mountain villages where there is still old traditional farming methods practised, and the Moorish irrigation systems and architecture, it is also very beautiful.

Granada is about two hours away (most of this time is taken getting out of the mountains), Malaga three hours, Almeria 1.5 hours, airports at all three.

Do make sure you have enough money to live on as there is no work here! And everybody speaks Spanish. Although there are expats (mainly British and Dutch), we are very much in the minority.

Hope this helps!
Old May 7th 2009, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

you could go for valencia as well. beautiful, big city, but inland you can be in the mountains near us in 15 minutes. history? shedloads, including the romans' capital of the area, which is on my doorstep (or rather, i'm on its) plus you could be boarding in Teruel in 45mins.
3 hours from madrid, 3 1/2 from barcelona, airport 20mins from the house and another new airport due to open in Castellon next year.

just wished i had enough work to keep us here for good......
Old May 7th 2009, 10:26 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all big heaps for your input.

I know that not everyone reads every reply before they post, so, just to recap. My husband travels all over the world to work, so we aren't moving to Spain and expecting to get jobs - that would be a bonus. I have always done supply/voluntary work, so as long as I could carry on - even in charity work, that would be fine.

Your advice on location has been great and I will list and research all of them.

Now........

What about primary schools in these areas? any good? - our kids are 6 and 10, and we don't know whether to go International or Spanish?

Thanks again

Nic
Old May 8th 2009, 9:26 am
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Asturias and in my opinion this is one of the most beautiful parts to Spain. It is full of culture, history and beautiful buildings especially in Oviedo and Aviles.

There are direct flights from London Stanstead with Easyjet.
The scenery is amazing. The Picos de Europa are breathtaking and there are lovely beaches.

It is very rainy but that's OK as you still get a good summer when it arrives!

My kiddies go to a spanish school but there is a English School near to Oveido.

There are very very few Brits here. In fact, I have not spoken in English to a Brit face to face since I arrived!!

All the best for your plans.
Old May 8th 2009, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
Or have a look around the Catalonia region, Barcelona is the most beautiful city on Earth (IMO) and you can weekend board in Andorra or take a drive into the Alps.
The ALPS? How long does it take to get there? Maybe I've got an inflated idea of the breadth of France, but from memory Barcelona's an hour plus from the border, never mnd getting from there to the Alps....?

Re schools - others would know better than I but I'd definitely give it a shot in the local state. Mine was 4+ when he started, and although clearly his vocabulary will probably lag for quite some time because English is the language at home, he's fluent and up there with his Spanish classmates on every subject they do. If well into the first year they've not settled, or are struggling and the school isn't providing any help, you can still rethink International. Probably at 10 you can't afford too long hoping they'll be ok. (?) We're considering a move to International School in the next year or two (he's 7 now) because he'll need good written English as well as spoken and although I've taught him to read, & they've been doing English as a 2nd language at school, it's harder when it comes to writing. Give some thought to not only what area but also specifically where you want to live in terms of village, large village, edge of village, deep countryside, etc., because that choice will impact on your ability to communicate and therefore become fluent quickly!
Old May 8th 2009, 4:22 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest you need to consider your kids education a priority. Consult them, @ 6 and 10 they will no doubt have their own ideas. Most kids can fit in better than adults, but if they are unhappy in a predominantly spanish community attending a spanish school they will make your life a misery.

I find the weather on the coast more agreeable, inland spain can be unbearably hot in summer and surprisingly cold on a winters evening. I would suggest you need to spend more time (than a holiday) in a few locations before making a choice. If it is culture in a mediteranean climate you seek, you might want to consider the riviera or tuscanny?
Old May 9th 2009, 3:48 pm
Account Closed

kaff99 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say that Benahavis is a good choice for kids - the school is good and there is plently of assistance for the kids to learn Spanish there from the teachers and the ayuntamiento. (I lived there for a year or so and my kids went to C.P Diadin in Benahavis).

I don't think there is alot of "history and culture" which you like.

There are alot of Brits there too.

I would say if you are going to do it, do it soon before your 10 year old gets any older. Any older and you may have problems - education wise and settling in a new country.

All the best.

Last edited by kaff99; May 9th 2009 at 3:54 pm. Reason: grammar errors
Old May 9th 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Splatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud ofSplatt has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fionamw
The ALPS? How long does it take to get there? Maybe I've got an inflated idea of the breadth of France, but from memory Barcelona's an hour plus from the border, never mnd getting from there to the Alps....?
8 hours from Barcelona to deux alpes. Maybe less if you egg it.
Obviously considerably nearer to Andorra, but you just can't beat The Alps.
Old May 10th 2009, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Splatt
8 hours from Barcelona to deux alpes. Maybe less if you egg it.
Obviously considerably nearer to Andorra, but you just can't beat The Alps.
Thanks