Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fitting a new kitchen....

Fitting a new kitchen....

Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Fitting a new kitchen....

Hi guys,

We are buying a town house in Oliva and need get the kitchen totally re-fitted.

Has anyone had to do this, is it more expensive than in the UK.....

Where's the best place to go for kitchens and tiles ???

Excited but really don't know where to start

Any advice greatly received
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitting a new kitchen....

Originally Posted by Mrs eddie
Hi guys,

We are buying a town house in Oliva and need get the kitchen totally re-fitted.

Has anyone had to do this, is it more expensive than in the UK.....

Where's the best place to go for kitchens and tiles ???

Excited but really don't know where to start

Any advice greatly received
I'm thinking about doing that myself and have considered buying the kitchen in the UK in bringing it back... All I will have to do then is find a local to fit it.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of lightMrs eddie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I'm thinking about doing that myself and have considered buying the kitchen in the UK in bringing it back... All I will have to do then is find a local to fit it.
How would you bring it back ? Car...?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

We had to fit a kitchen a couple of years ago and found them to be much cheaper than in the UK. The price quoted from the shop included fitting (unlike in the UK) and it is a good quality.

The fitter gave us a quote from our rough drawing and measurements and then came out to check everything before ordering.

We had no problems, it was fitted in our absence and we never had to have them back. Unfortunately we're in Chiclana not Oliva.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzle
We had to fit a kitchen a couple of years ago and found them to be much cheaper than in the UK. The price quoted from the shop included fitting (unlike in the UK) and it is a good quality.

The fitter gave us a quote from our rough drawing and measurements and then came out to check everything before ordering.

We had no problems, it was fitted in our absence and we never had to have them back. Unfortunately we're in Chiclana not Oliva.
Did you get it from the Spanish or Brits? as I've heard the non spanish kitchen people tend to be quite expensive and not always reliable where I am....
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

dazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to alldazzle is a name known to all

No it was a Spanish kitchen shop.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dazzle
No it was a Spanish kitchen shop.
Maybe I'll go down that road a bit, I've heard horror stories with some of the non spanish kitchen places. Out of interest how much did your kitchen cost you.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:48 am
loving life in spain

chirivel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Maybe I'll go down that road a bit, I've heard horror stories with some of the non spanish kitchen places. Out of interest how much did your kitchen cost you.
Why not buy one from ikea and just get somebody to fit it there is an ikea in murcia and you can pay extra for deliveries
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a complete new kitchen fitted, bought from a Spanish shop and installed by their fitters. One thing to bear in mind though when dealing with The Spanish way of doing things, is that you will also need a plumber, an electrician, someone to cut the worktops, and maybe another chap to chop into the walls for the pipes/electric cables etc. The kitchen shop supplies and fits the units in place and that's all. It is usually the case in Spain of "One man, one job"
However you do get to meet more people to practice your Spanish on and learn more technical names for bits and pieces for later use.

There is also the small matter of the cost. If we had bought the same kitchen in the UK I'm sure that we would have paid more for the granite worktops alone than we paid for the whole kitchen including installation.
The whole thing from start to finish took only two days.

regards
BW.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough

As a guideline, price for a kitchen suitable for a 9m2 kitchen area:

Various kitchen units €2,600
Ceramic hob & oven €370,00
Extractor fan €150,00
Double sink €60,00

Fully fitted, including plumbing & electrics.

Expect to pay around €3180.

I hope that gives you an idea.

You might also take a look at your local Leroy Merlin.

Regards

David
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cadiz Builders
As a guideline, price for a kitchen suitable for a 9m2 kitchen area:

Various kitchen units €2,600
Ceramic hob & oven €370,00
Extractor fan €150,00
Double sink €60,00

Fully fitted, including plumbing & electrics.

Expect to pay around €3180.

I hope that gives you an idea.

You might also take a look at your local Leroy Merlin.

Regards

David
Similar sized kitchen, double sink inc taps, sink unit, 3x80cm, 3x60cm, 1x40cm units with solid wood doors, approx 5m granite tops.
Excluding the extactor fan, but paying about double for the hob/oven ours came to 1.900 euros all in.

But then again we are not on the coast

BW

Last edited by big wheels; Jun 8th 2006 at 1:52 pm. Reason: forgot to add cost of plumber
Old Jun 9th 2006, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

torie is an unknown quantity at this point

There surely are kitchen shops that will sort the entire job for you. My boyfriend is a stonemason and their company does a lot of worktops. They go in to measure and fit (because when the builders measure, they get it wrong!), but it's usually the kitchen company or builder that deals with ordering etc. Catalan company - not an English company.. I don't think there are any where we are!

We did our kitchen last year, but can't comment on price as said boyfriend built the whole thing with bricks and granite. (Handy profession, stonemason!)

(Pics of Blood Red Kitchen at http://www.viewfromtheroof.com ) Had to throw that in!

t0rie
www.whangdoodleland.com
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Talking about building people anyone recommend anyone near Marbella. I need a wall rendered and the some cracks done etc.and if they can do kitchens as well,.. sorted

Also looking for a place that sells gates..
Old Jun 9th 2006, 9:12 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Like Dazzle I am in Chiclana. There are numerous kitchen shops around, from the B&Q equivalent Polanco, to very trendy shops supplying hi tech kitchens such as one would find in a riverside flat in London's docklands. I shopped around and found one on an industrial estate that measured up, quoted and installed the whole thing in our absence. Everything was included except the plumbers bill which we paid separately. The kitchen shop said that the top people had made an error with the wrong top....did we like it if not they would replace it. We didn't and had it replaced!! You do need to make sure, especially if it is a new property, that the plumbing inlets and outlets are in the correct places, and the extractor outlets for the hood and boiler are as well, or you will incur extra charges. Granite worktops are some of the cheapest in Spain, but there are different qualities, I believe the better ones being imported from Egypt. I paid around 9000 Euros, including the boiler, fridge freezer, dishwasher and washing machine, oven and ceramic hob. With a four inch thick quartz worktop, and the draining board sculpted into the top. Considerably better value than in Britain I think!! It isn't so difficult to organise even if your Spanish is limited. And don't pay in full unless everything is working to your satisfaction.