Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

First Posts, HELP! WHAT DO I DO? etc. etc.

First Posts, HELP! WHAT DO I DO? etc. etc.

Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute
Default First Posts, HELP! WHAT DO I DO? etc. etc.

Happens all the time, but seems to be more prevalent now that Brexit looms. A new poster (or an existing recent one) comes up with a post similar to:

' My and my wife and four kids are coming over next month, what about schools, health care and residency?' (Yep, something so huge potted into two lines)

'What about Brexit?'

'Looking for a job as a _ _ _ _ '

'Where do I pay tax?' ' Become self employed?'

'How do I buy a house', 'transfer my car', 'change my driving licence,' etc.etc.

Its really surprising that its obvious that SOME want the answer not only from scratch, but on a plate. Therefore the same info gets rolled out time and again in the spirit of helping.

Its simple, just take some time to search the forum OR the UK Gov website 'Living in Spain', empower yourself. Posters obviously have a degree of Computer literacy, just plonk your subject in the search box and any gaps you have having done that, ASK. Research.

In reality, if you haven't got a mind open to challenge, an inquisitive 'digging' nature and the wherewithal to just get it done then perhaps becoming an Ex Pat in somebody elses Country with their rules and regulations / lifestyle and culture may not be for you. It simply will not 'come on a plate' if you choose the life lots of us on here have done.

I am not being trite or personal, nor ranting - just making the point here with all due respect to everyone, but COME ON PEOPLE!

Do you think it may be a good idea to encourage new posters to search the forum for info on their issue/ problem when that lovely 'Welcome' message goes on the posts for new posters? Rosemary, what do you think?

I will always help other people (when I am certain of the answer!), that's my nature, and I would not wish to diminish the helpful principles and ethic of this site, but the World loves a trier and the best help comes to those that can help themselves. (at least a good bit anyway, then ask!)

Last edited by lurchio; Feb 22nd 2018 at 11:28 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Posts, HELP! WHAT DO I DO? etc. etc.

If you wanted to help, but didn't want to regurgitate the same info over and over again, then how about starting some Wiki articles on the various subjects that all newbies could be directed to? I note there is only one article in the Spain Wiki, by contrast other country forums have hundreds of articles to cover pretty much every question.

It's easier in the Canada forums because we have sticky threads directing people to the Wiki (not all read them of course, but a lot do), so often they're starting with the basics already known and can easily search for info there as well as on the forums. There are over 300 articles in the Canada Wiki that lots of us have contributed to.

Just an idea anyway..........
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point, but a good start would just be a person typing 'Residency' into the search box on Spanish Ex Pats before posting for a 'how to from scratch' guide, thats obviously not happening and that's all I am saying.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:56 am
HMP Queensland

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lurchio View Post
I see your point, but a good start would just be a person typing 'Residency' into the search box on Spanish Ex Pats before posting for a 'how to from scratch' guide, thats obviously not happening and that's all I am saying.
Bear in mind that the search feature on BE is not always that reliable plus many people who post on here have never dabbled in forum-land before
I agree that sometimes if they just browse the relevant country forum they can find a lot of the answers, but thats not always what they are looking for. People come here and see it as a community, so thy think the best way to join in is to outline their situation and ask for help with it. Often it turns out there is something quirky or specific that needs addressing anyway. I've even done it myself, in a couple of forums lately I've done some reading but then started my own post, outlining a situation, and asking if what I've found so far is right, and where to go next - its the onlyway to be sure that a particular situation is getting the right answers.

I do hear what you're saying, there are things I have been typing regularly in the Aus forum for 16 years now to address the questions of newbies, and sometimes it would be soooo easy to just say 'use the search function' or even 'google is your friend' - but where would that leave BE? If everyone just searched, and didn't post their individual stories, the community would soon flounder

And BE itself is huge! If you happen on it for the first time, as a forum virgin, I can understand people not knowing where to start!
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 11:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana View Post
Bear in mind that the search feature on BE is not always that reliable plus many people who post on here have never dabbled in forum-land before
I agree that sometimes if they just browse the relevant country forum they can find a lot of the answers, but thats not always what they are looking for. People come here and see it as a community, so thy think the best way to join in is to outline their situation and ask for help with it. Often it turns out there is something quirky or specific that needs addressing anyway. I've even done it myself, in a couple of forums lately I've done some reading but then started my own post, outlining a situation, and asking if what I've found so far is right, and where to go next - its the onlyway to be sure that a particular situation is getting the right answers.

I do hear what you're saying, there are things I have been typing regularly in the Aus forum for 16 years now to address the questions of newbies, and sometimes it would be soooo easy to just say 'use the search function' or even 'google is your friend' - but where would that leave BE? If everyone just searched, and didn't post their individual stories, the community would soon flounder

And BE itself is huge! If you happen on it for the first time, as a forum virgin, I can understand people not knowing where to start!
+1 to all of that. I find myself typing the same thing over and over again to newbies in the Canadian immi forums, but I'm happy to help as that's kind of the point of BE! Although if they've read through the Wiki first it does make things somewhat easier.

I've just put 'residency' in to the Spain search box and it's brought up loads of threads, but lots that aren't relevant and it's often hard for newbies who aren't familiar with the forum to find the exact info they're after. Asking a community that is here to help and has been through it before makes sense I guess.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 12:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
+1 to all of that. I find myself typing the same thing over and over again to newbies in the Canadian immi forums, but I'm happy to help as that's kind of the point of BE! ....
Ditto for me too, but in the US forum.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am not saying to just let people only get on with it themselves, that defeats the idea of a forum.

Only please just look at whats already been covered regarding your problem, only familiarise yourself basically, then lets all jump on board to help!

Only a suggestion to add this to the 'Welcome' message to hopefully also encourage those people new to forums as well.

Last edited by lurchio; Feb 22nd 2018 at 12:10 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 12:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Only please just look at whats already been covered regarding your problem, only familiarise yourself basically, then lets all jump on board to help!
Which is why I suggested the Wiki......as mentioned above the search is often not working, or is hard to navigate particularly for newbies. The Wiki is a 'go to' resource for most forums, but the Spain forum doesn't have that option, so it may be something that would help if those in the know are happy to contribute and to get it up and running properly.
Old Feb 22nd 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

I am not saying to just let people only get on with it themselves, that defeats the idea of a forum.

Only a suggestion to add this to the 'Welcome' message to hopefully also encourage those people new to forums as well.
I think what you are suggesting makes an awful lot of sense. Every time I see a post from a "newbie", I look at it out of interest, but know that 95% of them are looking for a costa somewhere, certainly not up here & invariably I'm right.
I'd be more than willing to help out in my limited capacity. Fred James would be a mine of information, (as well as many others) but it'd be unfair to burden Fred with all the work!
Old Feb 23rd 2018, 9:19 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a Wiki thingy on the France forum, but we do have a "Moving to France FAQs" sticky in which members have started threads on important subjects and have made additions or updates. Factual info for all, from those who have been there, done that....
A forum search isn't satisfactory, as the keywords will often bring up long threads which have nothing to do with the newbie's personal issue, or there are so many results that they would give up wading through them all...
There's also an introductory thread on the France forum, and newbies are often invited to take a look at the FAQs before posting again in the main part of the forum.
It's a simple matter to start a FAQs Sticky, it just needs time for members to start the threads and ask a Mod to do the necessary....
Old Feb 27th 2018, 5:05 pm
Banned

EgssIsEggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Happens all the time, but seems to be more prevalent now that Brexit looms. A new poster (or an existing recent one) comes up with a post similar to:

' My and my wife and four kids are coming over next month, what about schools, health care and residency?' (Yep, something so huge potted into two lines)

'What about Brexit?'

'Looking for a job as a _ _ _ _ '

'Where do I pay tax?' ' Become self employed?'

'How do I buy a house', 'transfer my car', 'change my driving licence,' etc.etc.

Its really surprising that its obvious that SOME want the answer not only from scratch, but on a plate. Therefore the same info gets rolled out time and again in the spirit of helping.

Its simple, just take some time to search the forum OR the UK Gov website 'Living in Spain', empower yourself. Posters obviously have a degree of Computer literacy, just plonk your subject in the search box and any gaps you have having done that, ASK. Research.

In reality, if you haven't got a mind open to challenge, an inquisitive 'digging' nature and the wherewithal to just get it done then perhaps becoming an Ex Pat in somebody elses Country with their rules and regulations / lifestyle and culture may not be for you. It simply will not 'come on a plate' if you choose the life lots of us on here have done.

I am not being trite or personal, nor ranting - just making the point here with all due respect to everyone, but COME ON PEOPLE!

Do you think it may be a good idea to encourage new posters to search the forum for info on their issue/ problem when that lovely 'Welcome' message goes on the posts for new posters? Rosemary, what do you think?

I will always help other people (when I am certain of the answer!), that's my nature, and I would not wish to diminish the helpful principles and ethic of this site, but the World loves a trier and the best help comes to those that can help themselves. (at least a good bit anyway, then ask!)
Thanks for the link. It was last upadted in Feb 2014. I wonder if the infos still fairly/totally current (?)

Mike
Old Feb 27th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry, got me, what link please? What subject are you trying to look at ?

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:39 pm
Banned

EgssIsEggs is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, got me, what link please? What subject are you trying to look at ?

Ian
Sorry, my bad. I meant the UK Gov site referred to (in bold) in quoted text, not a link.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Okay, I see. Whatever is on there is current. HOWEVER, if you want the latest position re: Brexit (they are proposals in the main, but its informative), try this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...ving-in-europe

There is some downloadable stuff on there, if that's what you need. Enjoy!
Old Mar 11th 2018, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

CarolineNick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi lurchio

I kinda get your point but, as one of the other posters says, the search facility isn’t always straightforward. I came across this thread, for example, whilst searching for “Andalucía”. I accept that it must be frustrating giving the same advice over and over again, not to mention being asked “crystal ball” questions such as “what will happen after Brexit?”

However, we’ve joined the forum after doing quite a lot of research on the internet to supplement what we picked up whilst visiting the region we’re interested in. The reason we did so was to get some advice/information/views from people like yourself who live in Spain and whose brains we’d really like to pick. Sometimes advice can be conflicting on the internet and it’s helpful to be able to ask people directly.

Although we’ve only just joined, the advice/information we’ve had has been great and we’ve found out quite a lot of other things by browsing through other threads. Hopefully we’ll be able to return the favour one day.

Where are you in Granada, by the way, as we’re thinking of not too far from there?

Thanks, Caroline and Nick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.