first lesson

Old Sep 24th 2011, 9:32 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: first lesson

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I can't say that I ever found ordering un "con leche" difficult. There again, some Brits never managed to pronounce "plaza" or "San Miguel" correctly. For me it tends to be the longer words with 3 or more syllables, like Valladolid, or alzahar, that I have to work on.
Mahou ...
Old Sep 25th 2011, 3:34 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I have trouble with the rolling 'rrr' as well, even though a native andaluz tried to teach me, I just can't do it.

We have a small town near us, named Ugijar, I hadn't a clue how to pronounce it when we first arrived.

Listened to the natives and finally got it: Ug-I-kar. (accent on the I).
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:20 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of expats, and there are a lot of them, can't pronounce the name of the town they live in: Torrevieja. It has it all, the double R, the V, the J, and the emphasis is on the last syllable.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:31 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Mahou ...
that's a horrid one

I know how you're meant to say it, of course, but I've heard it mis-pronounced far more often than pronounced correctly, which means my ear & brain tend to scramble it

so whenever I want to say it, it comes out San Miguel
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:33 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
A lot of expats, and there are a lot of them, can't pronounce the name of the town they live in: Torrevieja. It has it all, the double R, the V, the J, and the emphasis is on the last syllable.

surely not
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

Listened to the natives and finally got it: Ug-I-kar. (accent on the I).
Yes, it's written Ugíjar, so naturally the stress falls on the "I". Friends of ours have a place in Otívar, and that suffers the same, I've heard the "O" and the "VAR" stressed, but rarely the "í", except by locals of course.. My brother pronounces Vejer something like Vecker.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 7:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

This is from a Spanish-English webpage, with suggested pronunciations, some sound weird to me!
surprise (serpráids) - sorpresa; extrañar;
exactly (igdsǽktli) - exactamente
happen (jǽpən) - pasar; suceder; suceder
harry (jéri) - asolar; acosar; hostigar
manage (mǽnədch) - lograr; administrar;
used (yúdsd) - acostumbrado; usado
advantage (ædvǽntidch) - ventaja
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Torrevieja ..... agree with Lynn. Slight emphasis on the 2nd bit of the dipthong, I'd have thought...??

Ugijar (can't figure how to put a tilde)...
scampicat described the local pronunciation as 'Ug-I-kar. (accent on the I)'.
Accent I understand, cos of the tilde. I'd have assumed it would be 'ooheeja' for want of a better English way of describing it
But then of course places have different pronunciations, as we all know. My late aunt's home village of Calonge - initially I always said calonhe.... but figured after a few times hearing her say calonshe that of course we're in Catalunya!!!
......is there an accepted way of expressing in 'english' lettering how the j tends to be pronounced? cos h obviously is fractionally too soft, k too hard.

Last edited by fionamw; Sep 25th 2011 at 8:10 am. Reason: usual berkdom
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:16 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Torrevieja ..... agree with Lynn. Slight emphasis on the 2nd bit of the dipthong, I'd have thought...??

Ugijar (can't figure how to put a tilde)...
scampicat described the local pronunciation as 'Ug-I-kar. (accent on the I)'.
Accent I understand, cos of the tilde. I'd have assumed it would be 'ooheeja' for want of a better English way of describing it
But then of course places have different pronunciations, as we all know. My late aunt's home village of Calonge - initially I always said calonhe.... but figured after a few times hearing her say calonshe that of course we're in Catalunya!!!
......is there an accepted way of expressing in 'english' lettering how the j tends to be pronounced? cos h obviously is fractionally too soft, k too hard.
Most Brits do pronounce it this way until they listen to the locals.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Most Brits do pronounce it this way until they listen to the locals.
So oo-gee-kha? with a hard g? blimey!!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:20 am
Ex Expat

How about Almegijar? (Tilde on the i)

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 25th 2011 at 8:25 am.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:23 am
Ex Expat

So oo-gee-kha? with a hard g? blimey!!

These are mountain people in the rural wilds of Andalucia, remember.

Last edited by scampicat; Sep 25th 2011 at 8:26 am.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How about Almegijar?
Not fair. Going to sulk

Al-me-gee-kha (guessing hard g again but no doubt wrong). Emphasis on the gee syllable.

...so are Colmenarenos
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:29 am
Ex Expat

Not fair. Going to sulk

Al-me-gee-kha (guessing hard g again but no doubt wrong). Emphasis on the gee syllable.

...so are Colmenarenos
Sorry, I edited my post to say there was a Tilde on the I.

You are correct : Al-me-GEE-kha. Looked unpronounceable to me when I first saw it!
Old Sep 25th 2011, 8:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Have heard Brits who live in Fuengirola call FuengArola. Or usually Fuengy! The LL in marbella is ignored by lots. Miguel is often pronounced as MigWell. There seems to be a few who live in Friggy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.