Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fire in Valencia

Fire in Valencia

Old Feb 22nd 2024, 9:22 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fire in Valencia

Originally Posted by 1sexsmith
I am afraid it is now turning into a national tragedy as it is believed ( not confirmed) that a family with two young children and a baby might have died. Sanchez is now arriving in Valencia.

The construction firm have claimed that a promotional video says the material was an aluminium covering but have failed to point out that it was 0.5 ml thick and backed by 5ml of polyurethane material.
So sad if it is proved that a whole family were lost. Sad that anyone was lost at all.

I know that it is normal for people such as Sanchez to visit sites but I always wish that they would not as there are far more important jobs to be done than showing politician etc around.

There will be many, many arguments about what materials were used. The pros and cons of the fabrics will be debated and debated for a long time. Hopefully this tragedy will cause changes to occur in other buildings that will stop a future event such as this.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 9:26 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid it is now turning into a national tragedy as it is believed ( not confirmed) that a family with two young children and a baby might have died. Sanchez is now arriving in Valencia.

The construction firm have claimed that a promotional video says the material was an aluminium covering but have failed to point out that it was 0.5 ml thick and backed by 5ml of polyurethane material.
On FB they have said that the baby of 2 weeks, child of 2 years and the parents are confirmed as dead.

Rosemary
Old Feb 22nd 2024, 10:02 pm
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

On the Spanish radio I just heard them talking to an architect who says that the building was constructed in 2005 and the fachada or facade was covered with a polyurethane material that is now known ( but not at time) to be combustible at high temperatures. He says that many buildings from that period onwards have these coverings and they will now need to be redone but the cost will be burdened by owners not constructors unless such possible events could have been deem to have foreseeable and known at time of construction.
The building code in Spain was changed in 2006 and again in 2017 after Grenfell but it's still the same problem as there was after Grenfell, nobody wants to foot the bill for existing builds.

Also the problem may not just be limited to builds with concrete walls, polyurethane insulation, and aluminium cladding - there are builds which use polyurethane insulation between two brick or concrete walls.
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 12:05 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I see that the Valencia government are going to move people a large block of new flats which will be paid by government - so that is at least something as alot of people need to housed and apparently many don't have insurance policies which cover costs of compensating them of they have to rent new places. Honestly it is heartbreaking to watch as people are so upset about the deaths and also because they have lost everything
​​​​I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 12:36 am

I see that the Valencia government are going to move people a large block of new flats which will be paid by government - so that is at least something as alot of people need to housed and apparently many don't have insurance policies which cover costs of compensating them of they have to rent new places. Honestly it is heartbreaking to watch as people are so upset about the deaths and also because they have lost everything
​​​​I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.
Well said.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

How can there not be a law to insist that all building materials are tested for their combustible specifications and fireproof rating?

How can it be fine to say 'We didn't know it would burn?'

I hope the cause was not another of those electric scooters that go up in smoke when being charged...

Old Feb 23rd 2024, 1:11 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

I would hope that the Spanish government does everything to help these people and doesn't skimp on costs as it is clear that governments have no problem handing millions for the war in Ukraine to help people there and they should need no debate about assisting their own residents here in Spain and not start telling them to go insurance companies or seek costly legal advice or pick up donations. Everyone should be housed in safe secure areas near the location they lived with sufficient funding to replace those items that people need for normal life.
The city has already announced a payment of €6000-10000 per household, €1000-1500 per month for those who decide to move to a rented flat, and they will be able to move to a building used for VPO.
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 1:42 am

Another practical thing that is happening is that locals are gathering together clothing and useful items to help the displaced families. I suspect that people all around the Valencian province will get involved in this aspect.

Normal things can be replaced, however their personal possessions cannot so their lives will be changed forever. Initially the practicalities of life will dominate their thoughts and they will be grateful to have come out alive but when the real emotions kick in I hope that there will be help provided for them at that point.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I would be happy to donate if anyone has any details...
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 2:54 am

Originally Posted by spainrico
I would be happy to donate if anyone has any details...
Not found anything at the moment. Do you mean goods or money?

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Either....depends on where the donation collection point is for goods.

I have recently visited Valencia (again) and enjoy spending time there very much and so feel a connection...
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 3:02 am

Originally Posted by spainrico
Either....depends on where the donation collection point is for goods.

I have recently visited Valencia (again) and enjoy spending time there very much and so feel a connection...
I adore Valencia.

At the moment all I can find is based at the local area. I feel sure that more centres will arise though. I have been surprised that there have not been messages to me from the ladies who tend to organise this sort of thing in my town. Possibly still at the point of getting the logistics sorted.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 3:02 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

Three donation points so far:

Falla Maestro Rodrigo General Avilés, ubicada en calle l´Alquería de Ricós.

Falla Hernández Lázaro, en la calle Valle de la Ballestera

Falla Escultor García Más, situada en la calle médico Ramón Tarazona, 2
Open from 5:30-9pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by DLC
Three donation points so far:

Open from 5:30-9pm.
Those were the only ones that I could find too.

Rosemary
Old Feb 23rd 2024, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute1sexsmith has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest people should not need to donate. The Spanish government should have access to all persons effected by the fire and payments should be made immediately to those in need
During the pandemic when people were told they could not work our wages were immediately paid to our accounts without any need to contact anyone or sign anything. The government has all the resources and more at their finger tips to help these people and they should not have to have the indignity of rummaging through old clothes etc. The state has an obligation to assist not the citizens and if they can send millions of euros to Ukraine along with hugely expensive weapons in weeks they can surely make sure 250 odd people are housed and clothed by tonight!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.