Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fine Dining in Spain , Yes it Really Exists!!!

Fine Dining in Spain , Yes it Really Exists!!!

Old Jan 19th 2010, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fine Dining in Spain , Yes it Really Exists!!!

For those of us who enjoy fine dining but struggle to find it in Spain you may wish to look at the online Michelin guide for Spain ,If you want a Michelin star rated resturants be prepared to travel!!!!

It will make a nice change from have a chop and salad thrown at you

www.viamichelin.es

Last edited by Rotor; Jan 19th 2010 at 1:58 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fine Dining in Spain , Yes it Really Exists!!!

Originally Posted by Rotor
For those of us who enjoy fine dining but struggle to find it in Spain you may wish to look at the online Michelin guide for Spain ,If you want a Michelin star rated resturants be prepared to travel!!!!

www.viamichelin.es

You've been unlucky - in my experience, it's hard to guarantee the trajectory of anything swimming in olive oil.....
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:59 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

www.viamichelin.es
Of course you can find it... there are restaurants in Seville and Vadiz to rival many in London, it all depends on where you go and how much you spend.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 11:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poollounger
Of course you can find it... there are restaurants in Seville and Vadiz to rival many in London, it all depends on where you go and how much you spend.
we know it

you know it

but at least one poster on here is adamant that it doesn't exist
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
we know it

you know it

but at least one poster on here is adamant that it doesn't exist

What I know is the nearest Michelin star resturant with traditional spanish menu is 78 kms away from me so in practical terms it dose not exist for many!! Also it sounds like my idea of fine dining differs from yours!! good home cooking is available.....at home so I dont want to pay ten fold for it is some mam and pop resturant ,my personal view is only around 1 in 50 resturants on the costas are worth eating in and I only use them when Im out working and cant get home.
I`m no professional food critic but those who are regulary slate Spain for having so few good resturants.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poollounger
500KM from me
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I`m no professional food critic but those who are regulary slate Spain for having so few good resturants.
No they dont. Professional food critics LOVE Spanish food and Spanish restaurants. Thats why they have so many restaurants rated as the best in the world and so many michelin stars.

Not only that, but Marco Pierre White said that the Spanish people "eat like kings" at home as they have the best ingrediants in the world in their marktes which British people can only dream of.

Many British expats and tourists do not go to good Spanish restaurants because they do not have a menu in English and they get scared of the food as they do not know what anything is. Plus they are incapable of eating fish on the bone or breaking into seafood (not everyone of course!).

Sorry guys, I'm not giving up on this one. I have relatives on the Costa del sol and I have to go to cr*ppy Britich restaurants with them that are just low quality meat with sauces, that they over-cook, put too much salt on and then pretend is good quality food. As I am lucky to have been only eating Spanish food for a few years now, British food makes me ill because of the low quality oils that are used for cooking.

Saying that, I am not going to be able to convince you, I can't even convince my relatives to go to a good Spanish restaurant, because they are too ignorant and too scared!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cricketman
No they dont. Professional food critics LOVE Spanish food and Spanish restaurants. Thats why they have so many restaurants rated as the best in the world and so many michelin stars.

Not only that, but Marco Pierre White said that the Spanish people "eat like kings" at home as they have the best ingrediants in the world in their marktes which British people can only dream of.

Many British expats and tourists do not go to good Spanish restaurants because they do not have a menu in English and they get scared of the food as they do not know what anything is. Plus they are incapable of eating fish on the bone or breaking into seafood (not everyone of course!).

Sorry guys, I'm not giving up on this one. I have relatives on the Costa del sol and I have to go to cr*ppy Britich restaurants with them that are just low quality meat with sauces, that they over-cook, put too much salt on and then pretend is good quality food. As I am lucky to have been only eating Spanish food for a few years now, British food makes me ill because of the low quality oils that are used for cooking.

Saying that, I am not going to be able to convince you, I can't even convince my relatives to go to a good Spanish restaurant, because they are too ignorant and too scared!
I only eat in Spanish resturants and am happy to pay upto 60 to 70 euro on special occaisons , I still stick to my theory that only 1 in 50 are worth the money.
Sure food okay Iin most but thats not good enough when they are charging good money.
Have a look at the Michelin site and you will see Spain is far from being full of top end resturants.

Last edited by Rotor; Jan 20th 2010 at 2:51 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

<snip> I have relatives on the Costa del sol and I have to go to cr*ppy Britich restaurants with them that are just low quality meat with sauces, that they over-cook, put too much salt on and then pretend is good quality food. As I am lucky to have been only eating Spanish food for a few years now, British food makes me ill because of the low quality oils that are used for cooking.
Sure I believe there are good Spanish restaurants; within Spain, though, I've not been out of Andalucia in about 10 years so with the wonderful exception of seafood, (and here I'm obviously generalising) I'd say there's as much bad about Spanish food in the Costa del Sol area as there is the crappy British stuff - which apart from the very rare fry-up and pint of guinness OH craves, we don't partake in! I'd be hard pressed to remember anywhere I've had vegetables not overcooked, or meat & fish not significantly over-salted, or much variance from the pork/chicken/rabbit & mixed veg type stuff.
Yes, yes there are the wonderful rabo de toros you happen upon, or venison or other little gems, but they're oases in a sea of olive-oil.
I'm just thinking how I might be slated for being critical of things Spanish. Well tough t*tas - maybe I've just been unlucky, but give me a tapas bar or a chiringuito & I'll find something good. Other than that it's very much the luck of the draw.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

You're very fond of referring to people as ignorant, or ignorant bigots, what a shame they all can't be as clever as you. You seem to be the only one that can read a Spanish menu, break into seafood, capable of eating fish off the bone, I never cease to marvel at how clever you are. But for one so clever, you come out with some absolute drivel.
Old Jan 20th 2010, 3:53 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Most Spanish restaurants coast and Inland I know, have never changed their menus in 15+ years. Re. vegetables, it is rare to get any, if there is they are the frozen ones cooked to a soggy mess. Don't frequent Brit places either except for a few upmarket ones. We go almost every week to an Italian in marbella, real authentic and fresh pasta, even to the rows in Italian coming from the kitchen
Old Jan 20th 2010, 4:56 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Most Spanish restaurants coast and Inland I know, have never changed their menus in 15+ years. Re. vegetables, it is rare to get any, if there is they are the frozen ones cooked to a soggy mess. Don't frequent Brit places either except for a few upmarket ones. We go almost every week to an Italian in marbella, real authentic and fresh pasta, even to the rows in Italian coming from the kitchen
I totally agree about the veg, I have siad before that Spanish dont do veg.

They may have in inculded in a dish, eg coliflower and cod, but not as a meat and 2 veg senario
Old Jan 20th 2010, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Since you dont believe me, maybe this guy is more eloquent...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...t-jose-pizarro

Although as my Spanish friends say. If the Brits dont like Spanish food then great, even more for us!
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

simon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to allsimon2129 is a name known to all

Having read your response Cricketman about how British food makes you ill i say shame on you and GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE ,GB has the best food inthe world
Old Jan 20th 2010, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by simon2129
Having read your response Cricketman about how British food makes you ill i say shame on you and GIVE YOUR HEAD A SHAKE ,GB has the best food inthe world
You must live in a small world, but keep up the positive thoughts. Much better living that way.

Btw, I dont want to be ill when eating British food because its not disgusting, I can enjoy it. It's just that my body has gotten used to not eating trans-fats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.