Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fine for carrying shopping on back seat of car

Fine for carrying shopping on back seat of car

Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Fine for carrying shopping on back seat of car

I saw a news article (RTN today) - in Javea someone was fined 130 euros for having some bags of shopping on the back seat of their car. Surely a new low on the part of Traffico! The article went on to say that it is permissible to have shopping bags in the rear foot well but not on the seats. I can see the logic and, in the event of a crash, shopping on the rear seat could cause injury but does this mean it's illegal to carry stuff in the back of a hatchback or an estate car with the rear seats folded down?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:16 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fine for carrying shopping on back seat of car

Originally Posted by petew
I saw a news article (RTN today) - in Javea someone was fined 130 euros for having some bags of shopping on the back seat of their car. Surely a new low on the part of Traffico! The article went on to say that it is permissible to have shopping bags in the rear foot well but not on the seats. I can see the logic and, in the event of a crash, shopping on the rear seat could cause injury but does this mean it's illegal to carry stuff in the back of a hatchback or an estate car with the rear seats folded down?
Like you I can see the logic in this but had no idea that it was against the law. Common sense to not have anything loose but to be fined seems questionable.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Like you I can see the logic in this but had no idea that it was against the law. Common sense to not have anything loose but to be fined seems questionable.

Rosemary
I just saw this too

so where are we supposed to put the shopping when the boot is full of my dad's wheelchair?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I just saw this too

so where are we supposed to put the shopping when the boot is full of my dad's wheelchair?
I guess the chances of your being fined are pretty slight. This is just another example of that thrilling (??) uncertainty of driving in Spain and seeing the traffico eying up vehicles and deciding which ones to stop. I think they have a quota and to meet it they will "make it up as they go along" if necessary. Just a silly thought - if the shopping bags contained pillows you had just purchased - would that be OK?? Would they check what was in the bags?
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I just saw this too

Sounds like in your case you cannot have a wheelchair and shopping in the car at the same time. As I said it is logical/common sense but in situations such as yours very, very difficult. Next they will fine people for allowing their children to have a favourite toy/book/game etc on their lap or in their hand to keep them quiet on long journeys. I see loads of cars that have lots of toys or ornaments or books left perminently on the back parcel ledge, surely they are breaking this "law" too.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:55 am

I guess the chances of your being fined are pretty slight. This is just another example of that thrilling (??) uncertainty of driving in Spain and seeing the traffico eying up vehicles and deciding which ones to stop. I think they have a quota and to meet it they will "make it up as they go along" if necessary. Just a silly thought - if the shopping bags contained pillows you had just purchased - would that be OK?? Would they check what was in the bags?
Love it.

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2011, 9:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the spanish like their dangly things in their cars. Some block nearly all the front screen
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Sounds like in your case you cannot have a wheelchair and shopping in the car at the same time. As I said it is logical/common sense but in situations such as yours very, very difficult. Next they will fine people for allowing their children to have a favourite toy/book/game etc on their lap or in their hand to keep them quiet on long journeys. I see loads of cars that have lots of toys or ornaments or books left perminently on the back parcel ledge, surely they are breaking this "law" too.

Rosemary
I doubt if there is a specific law but presumably traffico can just use a catch-all "dangerous driving" approach if they wish.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:09 am

I doubt if there is a specific law but presumably traffico can just use a catch-all "dangerous driving" approach if they wish.
I think it was in Javea that someone was fined for wearing flip-flops to drive in. I know that it is illegal but so many people do drive in silly sandals in the summer. Are the police generally more vindictive in that area?

Rosemary
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:44 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I think it was in Javea that someone was fined for wearing flip-flops to drive in. I know that it is illegal but so many people do drive in silly sandals in the summer. Are the police generally more vindictive in that area?

Rosemary
If someone drives into me because they are wearing dangerous footwear, then I hope they break both of their legs. Badly.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Rosemary
They do seem to have a lot of random 'road blocks' lately ... we are in the Pego/Oliva area and we have been stopped twice in the last year (we probably only visit for 6 to 8 weeks per year so I think that is quite a high rate) and questioned, papers examined etc. jackets checked, footwear checked. The first time they had a radar gun and I thought I was speeding, but it turns out I wasn't, and fortunately I had everything in good order and could speak sufficient Spanish to answer their questions. The second time was as we joined the A7 at Denia, at 7.00am one Saturday morning on the way back to the airport - this time they asked my husband if he 'liked to drink' to which I replied, 'no, no, we are on the way to the airport' and again they let us go ... best keep within the letter of the law I suppose, but they will often 'get lucky' with holidaymakers in our area and its easy money for them!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Ive also heard of someone being fined for not removing the tow bar from their car as it was the quick detachable type and was not towing anything,had he had the permanente bolted on type he would have been okay ,that really stinks
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by noelrosie
They do seem to have a lot of random 'road blocks' lately ... we are in the Pego/Oliva area and we have been stopped twice in the last year (we probably only visit for 6 to 8 weeks per year so I think that is quite a high rate) and questioned, papers examined etc. jackets checked, footwear checked. The first time they had a radar gun and I thought I was speeding, but it turns out I wasn't, and fortunately I had everything in good order and could speak sufficient Spanish to answer their questions. The second time was as we joined the A7 at Denia, at 7.00am one Saturday morning on the way back to the airport - this time they asked my husband if he 'liked to drink' to which I replied, 'no, no, we are on the way to the airport' and again they let us go ... best keep within the letter of the law I suppose, but they will often 'get lucky' with holidaymakers in our area and its easy money for them!
A lot of people dont realise you can appeal against fines , it may mean going to court in several months , not a lot of help if your here for a fortnights holiday , with this nonsense still going on Spain will never shake off its corrupt image
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:52 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

This was in the papers last year also, about having shopping on car seats, so it is nothing new. It came in around the time of the "no driving in flip flops" rule, I think.

And in other places it has been known for police to be parked just outside supermarkets to try anc catch people doing just a thing.
Old Jun 24th 2011, 11:54 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
This was in the papers last year also, about having shopping on car seats, so it is nothing new. It came in around the time of the "no driving in flip flops" rule, I think.

And in other places it has been known for police to be parked just outside supermarkets to try anc catch people doing just a thing.
bet they park outside Iceland then & get the brits who haven't matriculated their car

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.