Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Old Jun 11th 2010, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

jodietec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Hi myself and my partner and 2 children are hoping to move to spain next yr, we have looked at alot of areas but arent sure where to go?? We have friends in Mojacar Pueblo,but want to be as independent as possible really,and make new friends. Does anyone know of the Albox,Arboleas, and Vera areas?
We are both in the process of learning Spanish with our local college and are loving it!! Hopefully this will help in finding work. I myself have legal Secretary/Legal executive qualifications, and have worked in Hospitals,solicitors,Local Authority etc, is there any work of that kind in the areas above?? My partner wants driving or Forklift truck work?? We would obviously consider anything when we are actually out there in order to provide finances as soon as possible!! I have looked for schools but cant seem to find anywhere with direct contact info,preferably email!! My daughter is 10? Hope someone can give me some feedback,want to do as much research as poss before we do it!!Thanks.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:18 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Andalucia Region of Mojacar Pueblo and Playa?

Originally Posted by jodietec
Hi myself and my partner and 2 children are hoping to move to spain next yr, we have looked at alot of areas but arent sure where to go?? We have friends in Mojacar Pueblo,but want to be as independent as possible really,and make new friends. Does anyone know of the Albox,Arboleas, and Vera areas?
We are both in the process of learning Spanish with our local college and are loving it!! Hopefully this will help in finding work. I myself have legal Secretary/Legal executive qualifications, and have worked in Hospitals,solicitors,Local Authority etc, is there any work of that kind in the areas above?? My partner wants driving or Forklift truck work?? We would obviously consider anything when we are actually out there in order to provide finances as soon as possible!! I have looked for schools but cant seem to find anywhere with direct contact info,preferably email!! My daughter is 10? Hope someone can give me some feedback,want to do as much research as poss before we do it!!Thanks.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hopefully things on the job front will pick up in Spain by next year, altho I dont think so. Work is very scarce and quite honestly I'm not sure that your line of work will be very easy to get. To learn to speak and write enough Spanish to be able to compete with native Spanish speakers who are trained in how things work in your line of work will be a tall order. As for your other half? He maybe lucky, but it'll be a struggle unless he knows someone who will employ him.

As for schools, it depends where you're going to live, but I would think that your daughter could go either to a primary or to a high school, depending on whether she wants to one of the older kids or the younger ones - but you need an area and to go and look at few and see what you think??

Jo xxx
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really niceMrs P is just really nice

Albox area does have many UK businesses but still finding work will be very difficult. Don't think because you know some Spanish it will help you get work, because sorry but it won't. The Spanish give jobs to their own first, even south American friends of mine who speak fluent Spanish can't find work.

Depending when you come, Mojacar has many bars but only a few other English businesses. You need to get to know as many people as you can as work is usually found by word of mouth.

Good look
Old Jun 14th 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

The general rule is either 'start your own business' (which is complicated and risky) or work for someone else. Outside of the big cities, Spaniards don't employ foreigners. (I would say 'ever, under any circs', but somebody will prove me wrong). Anyhow - there are few jobs beyond working for fellow Brits, mainly in scut-work. Here in Mojácar, we have a lot of bars and restaurants (and booze-police standing outside of them), some real-estate agencies (who I doubt are hiring at the moment) and various local newspapers - who are always looking for salesmen. We are also bombarded with 'gold-buyers' and other opportunists.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
The general rule is either 'start your own business' (which is complicated and risky) or work for someone else. Outside of the big cities, Spaniards don't employ foreigners. (I would say 'ever, under any circs', but somebody will prove me wrong). Anyhow - there are few jobs beyond working for fellow Brits, mainly in scut-work. Here in Mojácar, we have a lot of bars and restaurants (and booze-police standing outside of them), some real-estate agencies (who I doubt are hiring at the moment) and various local newspapers - who are always looking for salesmen. We are also bombarded with 'gold-buyers' and other opportunists.
I'll prove you wrong. The business my OH works for is Spanish run, but full of foreigners; Latin American, Romanian, Moroccan, Israeli etc, as well as Spanish. There are no English though because their Spanish language skills are rarely good enough.

This is on the CDS.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

I'll check with the large Israeli population in mojácar and get back to you...
Old Jun 14th 2010, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are no English though because their Spanish language skills are rarely good enough.

This is on the CDS.
But surely you're the exception that proves the rule, no? The only Spanish speaking Englishman on the CDS?
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
But surely you're the exception that proves the rule, no? The only Spanish speaking Englishman on the CDS?
Well I already have a job, so dont need one based on the CDS, especially not at the low salaries that are offered around here

Btw, the British people I know who speak excellent Spanish tend to already have a good job, its those who dont that tend to complain of descrimination.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Don't do it.

If you don't have plenty of spare cash to live on for a year or two then don't be stupid.
Don't dump your 10 year old daughter straight into a Spanish state school unless she speaks very good Spanish, it's just not fair on her. She will be miserable and lonely. Put her into an international school where she can continue her UK curriculum because chances are you will end up sloping off back home after a year or so of no work, or if you're lucky just managing to scrape by.
Don't risk your marriage either. Spain is notoriously bad for breaking up relationships - usually because of the financial stress, and if you have unhappy children with you it's going to be a lot worse.

So many foreigners over here have had to move back home, usually unable to sell their house here. There's very little work for foreigners.
Don't just be another statistic.
Think of your family.

Sorry to be a doom-monger, but I have children in the local school so know what it's like. Difference is we moved here five or six years ago and have a regular income.

I would say you've missed the boat. Give it a few years for things to pick up.
Just don't do it.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of

Hi jodietec.

The areas that you are talking about are really hard to find work in, people who speak spanish and have been there for years are not able to find work at the mo, I know so many people that have been fighting a losing battle for the last year or 2 and are returning to the uk as they cannot support their families. I'd say look at another area if i were you, although i dont know if its the same everywhere, but i'd say now isnt the time to be planning a move to spain at all, its gonna take a long time before things get better in my opinion.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 10:56 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We're in the north of Spain and it's no way as bad as it is down South.

The chances are is that you will not find work,,either you or your husband. Neither of you have skills or speak spanish that are in need.

You quality of life will be no better in Spain.

Does your daughter want to move? Mine was 9 when she came and didn't want to come..so it's been a bit of a nightmare for over two years..She hates it here..finds it boring etc.

It's great for very young kids..lots of warm weather to go to the beach, play in the pool etc..but once they hit 10ish they want different things. There is not much for teenagers..except drink and hang about or sloth at home...

I suggest come out and see for yourself. Don't sell your house but come for a long holiday, find work first and learn spanish.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by manamama
We're in the north of Spain and it's no way as bad as it is down South.

The chances are is that you will not find work,,either you or your husband. Neither of you have skills or speak spanish that are in need.

You quality of life will be no better in Spain.

Does your daughter want to move? Mine was 9 when she came and didn't want to come..so it's been a bit of a nightmare for over two years..She hates it here..finds it boring etc.

It's great for very young kids..lots of warm weather to go to the beach, play in the pool etc..but once they hit 10ish they want different things. There is not much for teenagers..except drink and hang about or sloth at home...

I suggest come out and see for yourself. Don't sell your house but come for a long holiday, find work first and learn spanish.
I agree with this. The key point here are skills. If you have not very much to differentiate yourself from the 5 million unemployed then the chances are that you too will be unemployed.

Out of interest, what can the UK give teenagers that Spain can't? I've always been very impressed with the amount of arranged activities that clubs, associations and town halls provide for older children in Spain. e.g. 30 euros a month gives you 2 hours of tennis with qualified coaches every day. When I grew up in the UK there was nothing like this.

And if you live near the beach you see the kids after school hanging out in large groups every afternoon, playing football, eating lunch, chatting and having fun.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Out of interest, what can the UK give teenagers that Spain can't? I've always been very impressed with the amount of arranged activities that clubs, associations and town halls provide for older children in Spain. e.g. 30 euros a month gives you 2 hours of tennis with qualified coaches every day. When I grew up in the UK there was nothing like this.

And if you live near the beach you see the kids after school hanging out in large groups every afternoon, playing football, eating lunch, chatting and having fun.
That's very true. At least it is for kids that speak Spanish and have integrated into the community and have made some friends.
But I wouldn't want to be that 10 year old struggling to understand what is said to me and being unable to make myself understood. A lot of kids are cruel (part of being kids I suppose) and will pick on anyone who is different.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 11:51 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Disrespectful to all Brits in CDS and totaly stupid answer.
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

I was wondering too - does 'Cricketman' come from the sport (the one where you are in until you're out, and the rest of your team are out until you're out, when - as I understand it - they come in) making him, perhaps, a very British sort of person, or is it a perhaps a reference to the delightful yet humble country-creature, the grillo?
At any rate, I certainly haven't bumped into him here in the campo around Mojácar, 'platicando o no'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.