finding work

Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

aussie2003 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default finding work

Hi All,
Myself and husband along with three children aged 2, 4 and 9 are looking to move to Spain shortly. There are so many questions that I have but believe most can be answered by been there for myself and looking. However one thing is troubling me... (well many but specifically)...how easy is it to find work as an English speaker? I seem to be able to find lots of jobs online which state you must already live in spain, but worry that I would arrive and then not be able to find work! We're looking within the malaga area.
Thank you for any answers!
Old Jun 6th 2016, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: finding work

Spain has one of the highest rates of unemployment in Europe - currently standing at around 20% (higher percentage for youth).

Just being English speaking cuts down your choice of work considerably.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Jun 6th 2016 at 7:58 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie2003
...how easy is it to find work as an English speaker?
A lot depends on your occupations, and the type of work you are looking for. Perhaps you could give more details about what sort of work you would be seeking. This will help contributors to give you guidance.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:28 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Myself and husband along with three children aged 2, 4 and 9 are looking to move to Spain shortly. There are so many questions that I have but believe most can be answered by been there for myself and looking. However one thing is troubling me... (well many but specifically)...how easy is it to find work as an English speaker? I seem to be able to find lots of jobs online which state you must already live in spain, but worry that I would arrive and then not be able to find work! We're looking within the malaga area.
Thank you for any answers!
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 6th 2016, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

aussie2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all. I appreciate not knowing the language will be a downfall but intend to take an intensive course prior to moving. My husband is a self employed oven cleaner, and presumably Ovens will need cleaning in spain, although I appreciate it is expensive to be self employed. I am a chef/cook and used to own a cafe so have that experience behind me.
Old Jun 6th 2016, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of

Thank you all. I appreciate not knowing the language will be a downfall but intend to take an intensive course prior to moving. My husband is a self employed oven cleaner, and presumably Ovens will need cleaning in spain, although I appreciate it is expensive to be self employed. I am a chef/cook and used to own a cafe so have that experience behind me.
The unemployment rate in the south is around 30%, your skills aren't exactly in high demand so even if you do find work it's going to be low paid, and with kids and no knowledge of Spanish, it's not something that's realistic. An intensive course isn't going to make you fluent, people really underestimate the work that goes into learning a language, it's not just something you can do 2 hours week for 6 months and become proficient.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband has no chance

You have a slight chance of finding work as a chef in a British establishment at around 4-5 euros per hour
Old Jun 7th 2016, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm afraid there seems to be a lot of negatives to your situation. Neither of you have a job lined up, neither of you are skilled in work that the locals can't do, and probably for cheaper, neither of you are fluent in the language, you have young children so have problems associated with that as regards schools and needing babysitters if you do work, in any case you are wanting to move to an area with a very high unemployment rate, you sound quite young in that you can't have yet built up a large amount of savings (especially with the cost of three young kids!)........ and that's just for starters.

However, if you dream of living in Spain I, for one in your circumstances, would let my heart rule my head and try hard to make it succeed. I'd regret not doing so and think of it as an opportunity missed. You may have luck, you may fall on hard times and find living in Spain isn't all its cracked up to be because of paperwork, jobs, attitudes etc etc. But, good for you for thinking about it and trying it.

I wish you luck and the only advice I would give is not to burn bridges back home, mix and mingle with the locals in your area as much as possible, don't isolate yourself or be embarrassed because of your mangling of the language (especially as many things are done by word of mouth rather than in an organised "advert on a webpage" sort of thing), keep a wary eye on your marriage if times do get tough and decide which is more important, the marriage or living in Spain, accept that the different paces of life can be at times quite frustrating, make sure if you buy property you cover yourself by getting proper advice and legal support.

Last thing, it can get cold in winter, but don't forget a hat and suncream when the weather is sunny.
Remember there are people, though however few, who did the move without the cushion of language skills, money and arranged jobs who did succeed and are still here.

Last edited by Mark604; Jun 7th 2016 at 10:53 am.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark604

However, if you dream of living in Spain I, for one in your circumstances, would let my heart rule my head and try hard to make it succeed. I'd regret not doing so and think of it as an opportunity missed. You may have luck, you may fall on hard times and find living in Spain isn't all its cracked up to be because of paperwork, jobs, attitudes etc etc. But, good for you for thinking about it and trying it.
Sorry, but that's not great advice. Spain is not out of the world and hardly the moon, so why talk about regret?

There's just no point moving now if you don't really have a plan.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 4:01 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

With three children it is risky to come to Spain without finding work before you come. Do you have sufficient funds to live on if you do not find work for a year or more? In order to become resident in Spain you will have to prove that you can support your family with an income or with money in the bank. There is no benefit system if things go pear shaped. Do you have a plan for if you do not find work and yours savings have all been used?

Rosemary
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

Moses, my second paragraph was to me more of an opinion than advice. I appreciate you may have interpreted it differently. It might have been better put but it is well known that us northerners struggle with the nuances of the English language.
As for "Spain not being out of this world and hardly the moon", to leave everything behind and move to a different country, no matter within Europe, especially with a young family is to most a major undertaking that can be regretted.
I envy you your blase cosmopolitanism (is that a word? See, we do struggle) that feels it is of little consequence.
Old Jun 7th 2016, 6:00 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you are not EU citizens(?) you may not be permitted to work / or residence in Spain
Old Jun 8th 2016, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Moses, my second paragraph was to me more of an opinion than advice. I appreciate you may have interpreted it differently. It might have been better put but it is well known that us northerners struggle with the nuances of the English language.
As for "Spain not being out of this world and hardly the moon", to leave everything behind and move to a different country, no matter within Europe, especially with a young family is to most a major undertaking that can be regretted.
I envy you your blase cosmopolitanism (is that a word? See, we do struggle) that feels it is of little consequence.
Was no offence, but the problem is that many people want to hear the positive and the word regret seems to come up too often. All I'm saying is that we will never be able to do everything in life, flying to the moon for example. Will I regret it, probably not.

Spain is not the moon and it's pretty easy to get to Spain as a European, so there's no point even mentioning the word regret. All you need is common sense and a plan, because getting there is very easy.

Most people wouldn't move to Skegness without a word of English, no job etc. so why is it different when it comes to Spain.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Because nobody wants to move to Skeggy.
Jinglebells, maybe, Nicer beach.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Because nobody wants to move to Skeggy.
Jinglebells, maybe, Nicer beach.
Skeggy isn't the whole UK, just like Cadaques isn't the whole of Spain.
If everybody wanted a nicer beach, that beach wouldn't be nice for long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.