Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Finding it hard....

Finding it hard....

Old May 7th 2011, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Miakoda is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding it hard....

I have been in Spain since September last year, with a couple months at home for Christmas & birthday etc. I love Spain and the Spanish, I have just got a job but am yet to make any friends really and I have just moved out of a friends (my only one!) house into my own flat. The rent of which is crippling me, putting a huge kibosh on any social activities ergo no chance to make more friends.

But my real beef is my noisy neighbours...its an apartment complex, and mostly used by Spanish weekenders - but jeez they aren't half loud, from 8am to 2am - its continuous, even through siesta )):

Is there a chance I can get out my rental contract on these grounds? A failing or not, but I am the type of person that needs to feel comfortable in their living arrangements to have a general happy equilibrium. And at the moment I am thinking I've made a terrible mistake and should run home!

Don't really know what I am asking for from you guys, I just feel icky...did anyone else initially?
Old May 7th 2011, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding it hard....

The bad news is that 2am is early for the Spanish to finish partying. In the summer months this can go on all night. Approach your landlords explain the position they may be willing to let you finish your contract early. You can put a denuncia on the neighbours but it would be hard on you pointing the finger and being British. I do hope it works out for you.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:04 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could ask for a reduction in your rent, by way of compensation for the noise??? This may offer you a little more money which may help to make you feel less pressured. As for friends, well I guess work is the best place to start and then network ????

Where abouts are you in Spain????

Jo xxx
Old May 7th 2011, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Miakoda
Is there a chance I can get out my rental contract on these grounds?
If you have a standard rental contract then there should be provision within it for either party to end it on giving one or two month's notice.
Old May 7th 2011, 6:23 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Spain since September last year, with a couple months at home for Christmas & birthday etc. I love Spain and the Spanish, I have just got a job but am yet to make any friends really and I have just moved out of a friends (my only one!) house into my own flat. The rent of which is crippling me, putting a huge kibosh on any social activities ergo no chance to make more friends.

But my real beef is my noisy neighbours...its an apartment complex, and mostly used by Spanish weekenders - but jeez they aren't half loud, from 8am to 2am - its continuous, even through siesta )):

Is there a chance I can get out my rental contract on these grounds? A failing or not, but I am the type of person that needs to feel comfortable in their living arrangements to have a general happy equilibrium. And at the moment I am thinking I've made a terrible mistake and should run home!

Don't really know what I am asking for from you guys, I just feel icky...did anyone else initially?
Hi and welcome to BE.

You sound like you are experiencing a bit of loneliness due to moving away from your friend who gave you moral support. Everyone feels out of sorts at some point in a new place or a new job so what you are feeling is perfectly normal. Talk to us, we are predominantly a friendly bunch of people who like to help. Give yourself a little time to adjust to the new place, your edgy at the moment so the noise will be magnified to you, in time you may be able to laugh at it instead of grinding your teeth about it as you obviously are now. If you continue to feel bad about where you live could you find somewhere else or are you locked into a tight tenancy agreement?

What work are you doing? Can you make friends through your work?

Rosemary
Old May 7th 2011, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

I am the type of person that needs to feel comfortable in their living arrangements to have a general happy equilibrium.
It will never get better and you will never change so best thing is to give notice and look for a flat in a quieter area or a house share in a quiet area (not sure if thats possible depends on transport etc).

At least you will be doing something positive and have something to look forward to.
Old May 8th 2011, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

It is never pleasant feeling alone at the best of times and moving out to your own place is stressful but this I think proves my point of visiting any potential home several times before making any commitment as what is quite during the day/week is very noisy in the evenings or at weekends. The person showing you the place is not going to tell you the downside only sell it up so make them work for their money, make them take you at strange times so you can get a real sense of what it is like or once you have been there once take yourself back and just sit and people watch for a while.

Take this as a lesson learned and move forward and find somewhere you will be happier, now you know what YOU DO NOT WANT from a place, you will have more of a chance finding something you do want. We have all done it and it takes a while for us to know what we want in reality as the dream is always very different. We have neighbours from hell and disputed land but we are lucky we only rent but it will still take us time to find the place we will want to stay in long term. Learn from the bad and put it down to character building, stow it away for experience and move on to pastures new, wander around your local area looking for "for rent" signs and then just keep going back till your sure it may suit you.

Where abouts do you live maybe someone in the local area may have an idea.
Old May 8th 2011, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Miakoda is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your responses. I am in Xabia/Javea. Lovely place and everything is walkable which is good.

I think I will start looking for somewhere new to live as come the summer, the weekenders will become full timers! I am not a party pooper at all but hearing other people in the bathroom is taking neighbourly interaction a little further than I like! Just hope the contract allows a get out clause

I am working in a restaurant so the social aspect will improve leaps and bounds I think, but when I get in after a hard shift I would like to be able to sleep in peace! Not to mention doing my studying during the day lol

Once again, thank you all for your kind words and helpful advice. I was in the doldrums and you were all sweet
Old May 8th 2011, 6:43 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your responses. I am in Xabia/Javea. Lovely place and everything is walkable which is good.

I think I will start looking for somewhere new to live as come the summer, the weekenders will become full timers! I am not a party pooper at all but hearing other people in the bathroom is taking neighbourly interaction a little further than I like! Just hope the contract allows a get out clause

I am working in a restaurant so the social aspect will improve leaps and bounds I think, but when I get in after a hard shift I would like to be able to sleep in peace! Not to mention doing my studying during the day lol

Once again, thank you all for your kind words and helpful advice. I was in the doldrums and you were all sweet
that's where I am!

where are you working? PM me if you like

as others have said, most standard contracts allow for a 1 or 2 month notice period - usually whatever deposit you paid

I'd get my skates on looking for somewhere else though - before the season starts in earnest & it gets harder to find a long term let
Old May 8th 2011, 7:17 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You arent in the same complex as that Lynnxa are you? That would explain it
Old May 8th 2011, 7:25 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OH SHUT UP!!

actually it's dead around here at the moment....................
Old May 8th 2011, 8:21 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What goes on in the bathroom then ?
Old May 16th 2011, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

macgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
The bad news is that 2am is early for the Spanish to finish partying. In the summer months this can go on all night. Approach your landlords explain the position they may be willing to let you finish your contract early. You can put a denuncia on the neighbours but it would be hard on you pointing the finger and being British. I do hope it works out for you.
Wow. That is the same as saying all British are hooligans. It's simply not true.

You just had bad luck. My advice is: change your place and make Spanish friends. You'll discover they are not banging drums all night...