Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Film downloading from internet could cause problems for Spain

Film downloading from internet could cause problems for Spain

Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Film downloading from internet could cause problems for Spain

Story in 'The Guardian'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...wnloading-dvds
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Film downloading from internet could cause problems for Spain

This story was carried earlier in the week here, and among the online comments was one which pointed out that perhaps the real pirates are those who want to charge almost double the price in Spain for a DVD as that charged by the likes of Amazon.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

It's the Spanish government who pass the laws, therefore no one here is breaking the law are they?
I can't see how the film industry could impose such a boycott on a country.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Maybe someone should remind Michael Lynton that Spain charges a tax on all blank dvd`s and cd and memory sticks etc to cover the royalties that the artists lose on re recording .
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 10:39 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

If they weren't so expensive over here I don't think I'd download as many as I do, I'd much prefer to have an original copy in English and Spanish with the option of subtitles in both but with the price they charge over here for a new DVD I'll stick to my downloads for as long as it's legal.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Post Re: Film downloading from internet could cause problems for Spain

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Back in the earlier days there were concerns that Radio would prevent records being bought by Consumers to be played in their homes. I recal seeing black & white movie clips of People in England simply loitering outside HiFi shops listening to 'The Radio'.

The System simply re-invented itself by making records more affordable.

A similar Situation occurred when portable MP3 players came about and CD Manufacturers were concerned about loosing sales, then iTunes and the rest invented themselves.

In-fact, I remember Wogan doing an interview with the Chairman of Woolworths on TV as the Company elected to stop selling Vinyl and sell CD's instead because of 'the quality'. Yet Wogan put out that there was more profit in CD's than Vinyl and that was the reason. The Chairman disagreed - obviously.

But that was alright as the loss of Tapes & Vinyl was in the name of Quality

My point is, that both the Music & the Movie Guru's in place simply need to find a way of re-inventing themselves.
Both the Music & the Movie Industry will NEVER disappear, and if they are suffering it's because they are not making it approachable to the way a consumer wants it.

Dont look at the RESULT to fix a problem, IE: Downloading.
Look at the REASON to prevent a problem.

Prevention is better than a Cure.
DSB.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:44 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahh the Pirate killed the DVD Star, The Boycott was imposed on France until recently, Which meant a lot of films did not see release here and typically a release to DVD would run some months behind the UK. For the last year or so since the signing of a new treaty and the introduction of a 3 strike rule which is being enforced, DVD releases are on par and some have before the US. The Gendarmes here now remove computers users get fined and Banned from having home based internet access.

It is interesting how we have become a generation of people whom deem internet theft fine but would be pissed off if someone broke into our car and stole something.

The industry will continue to price legitimate goods in a fashion to compensate for shady internet activity, As all shops already do. The goods you buy on the high streets have been priced to compensate for shoplifting. But as country telecom networks improve Media distribution will shift to Digital Only and the Pirate will encourage this before networks are able to cope with the demand. All this does is encourage further DRM development, There are digital only systems in place for films which haven't been cracked, But they are for a download market.

No country in the digital age can afford to labelled in the way Spain is being painted by Sony, If enough corporations get behind Sony then the Spanish Government will have to pull their fingers out.

A Pirate is a Pirate no matter the size of the ship.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Apr 3rd 2010 at 7:01 am.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

I used to copy Tapes when I had no double deck system, used to place two tape players next to each other and walk around quietly Yet I still bought Original Tapes.

I used to copy CD's yet bought Original CD's. I download Movies yet buy Blurays.
Go figure.

DSB.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:08 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
I used to copy Tapes when I had no double deck system, used to place two tape players next to each other and walk around quietly Yet I still bought Original Tapes.

I used to copy CD's yet bought Original CD's. I download Movies yet buy Blurays.
Go figure.

DSB.
Music I get from iTunes as well as easy viewing films, Good Films I get the disk as I usually get the Blu-ray version. The music is allowed to be on multiple devices. I have always enjoyed watching films and have built up a nice collection over the years, I rarely get to the cinema these days as its a 130km round trip to watch an English film.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

If they really wanted to protect DVDs they could encrypt them!

But they don't wish to bear the cost so instead they have asked for and been given control over the internet by governments that make decision on matters thay have no understanding of.

Jim
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
If they really wanted to protect DVDs they could encrypt them!

But they don't wish to bear the cost so instead they have asked for and been given control over the internet by governments that make decision on matters thay have no understanding of.

Jim
I remember when they came out with the protection on VHS. Was like a little rumble sound very briefly with a couple of scan flickers..... Disney was the strongest...

DSB.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
A Pirate is a Pirate no matter the size of the ship.
Indeed. So exactly why are prices of DVDs and blurays relatively so much more expensive in Spain?

It's encouraging, rather than compensating for, downloading and filesharing.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

There's a site which allows you to watch films online legally.

www.filmotech.com - in various languages with a limited but decent selection of films.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Ka Ora!;8469154].It is interesting how we have become a generation of people whom deem internet theft fine but would be pissed off if someone broke into our car and stole something.
QUOTE]/

The UK government considers it fair that if someone hijacks your wireless link you should be penalised if the download pirates use it and the three strike rule is used against you.

A large percentage of UK musicians consider a ban on downloading to be counter productive.

The UK government already operates a levy similar to the one in Spain on blank recording media which goes to the Performing Rights Association.

Jim
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

The film and music industry makes millions every year for their share holders.
I don't have any sympathy for companies or their shareholders who might lose a little of their profits paid for by the bloke in the street.
Are they losing money or are they being greedy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.