Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Filling a pool for the first time........

Filling a pool for the first time........

Old Apr 20th 2006, 6:50 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Filling a pool for the first time........

Yes at last I hope to be there, lounging. It looks good in the pics, but alas is still empty. I have no doubt that the builder will assist with the filling, but he is a builder not a pool expert, and I wonder if there are any procedures with chemiclas etc that one should follow ?? Any tips and advice gratefully received
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice
Default Re: Filling a pool for the first time........

Originally Posted by poollounger
Yes at last I hope to be there, lounging. It looks good in the pics, but alas is still empty. I have no doubt that the builder will assist with the filling, but he is a builder not a pool expert, and I wonder if there are any procedures with chemiclas etc that one should follow ?? Any tips and advice gratefully received
I'd be interested in advice here too. My pool is starting on Monday It's one of those with the self-cleaning floor thing (can you tell I know little about pools?) and has a salinator to reduce the chlorine requirement. It will be 5 x 10 x 2.2 to 1.1 metres + entry steps.

Last edited by Unexpat; Apr 20th 2006 at 8:13 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Poolguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poollounger

Yes I can help you and talk you through the first steps. there are some interesting issues to be discussed here which is best done over the phone.

If you want to do it right then you need some information and quick otherwise you'll join those who are 'muddling though' whcih in a swimming pool is not recommended as its can be a real health problem if you get it wrong.

So By all means PM me with your contact details and I'll call and talk you through, that is sure as that is what I do.

It applies to anyone with a pool, who is uncertain. I'm here to help.

Andrew
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Here are some web sites giving advice on pool care etc.

http://jshep.users.ftech.net/pools.htm

http://www.spanishpropertyco.com/pools.htm

http://www.de-fontenay.com/poolcem.htm
Old Apr 24th 2006, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
Thanks mate.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Hi Beachcomber

Thanks you for posting those sites as a help to those who need answers.

However, whilst the first link and the last contain good useful information from a sound scientific background, the middle site makes assertions, which I should say are to be treated with some suspicion.

Sometimes commercial interested are good and sometimes they get in the way of sound advice. Having said that, I am certainly not against anyone making a living, but Pool maintenance is by no means, a subject to be trifled with, it should be well researched and supported by commonly accepted science. There are a plethora of 'gizmos' and 'snake oil' remedies out there for pool sanitation, most of which as a step backwards from Chlorine as the sanitizer of choice.

Andrew

Andrew
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Poolguy
Hi Beachcomber

Thanks you for posting those sites as a help to those who need answers.

However, whilst the first link and the last contain good useful information from a sound scientific background, the middle site makes assertions, which I should say are to be treated with some suspicion.

Sometimes commercial interested are good and sometimes they get in the way of sound advice. Having said that, I am certainly not against anyone making a living, but Pool maintenance is by no means, a subject to be trifled with, it should be well researched and supported by commonly accepted science. There are a plethora of 'gizmos' and 'snake oil' remedies out there for pool sanitation, most of which as a step backwards from Chlorine as the sanitizer of choice.

Andrew

Andrew
Are you referring to ozone generators? BTW, what in a nutshell is your snake oil remedy Poolguy?
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Are you referring to ozone generators? BTW, what in a nutshell is your snake oil remedy Poolguy?

EXPAT
It would fill a book.... several perhaps.

There are so many companies out there trying to sell products based on spurious and sometime completely false claims that its just mind destroying to research the topic, unless you have some background knowledge in the subject.

Ozone generators are one such problematic area. There is no health department in Europe or in the US or Australia which will endorse the use of them for anything. Sanitising a pool or a spa is nothing to be trifled with, as some of the nasties are terrifying in their effects - particularly cryptosporidium, and legionella. As I understand it, levels of ozone in the water which is of sufficient concentration to kill these parasites and viruses will certainly have consequences for swimmers with respiratory problems.

The claims that these companies make are primarily negative marketing against chlorine. Most are misleading and some are just plane wrong. The notion for example that chlorine turns hair green - WRONG that is copper form antialgae treatments. That chlorine stings the eyes - WRONG in most case that is pH out of Balance.

Snake oil traders are using the worst kind or tactics to convince consumers unused to swimming pools to sell their very expensive, shiny boxes and I am afraid putting peoples health at risk in so doing. But Hey they have your cheque and its impossible to prove that their device was responsible for an infection from a swimmer –‘ it must have been something else’, they will claim, and you cannot make a case otherwise.

You asked "what is MY snake oil remedy". I will answer that question seriously even though it sounded a little 'OFF' to me.

Chlorine works and has for 200 years, there is not currently on the market a treatment which provides a better sanitisation in a swimming pool that is as affordable. The only problems are that it has to be applied properly to best effect and that is where the rub lies. Not often are owners skilled or knowledgeable in the best use of chlorine especially as the marketers have got hold of the products and are busy adding a little confusion here and a bit of misinformation there.

The First two sites in the list I found more reliable, as they did not try to peddle a system, which does not work.

Maybe this is too brief to of use, but as I said before, its a book at least to get thought the issues. I'm trying to build something like this into my website, which is taking an age, as it has to be accurate and in 4 languages.

Andrew

Last edited by Poolguy; Apr 25th 2006 at 4:11 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

I agree with poolguy and would add that 'chlorine smells' are not as a result of too much chlorine but too little.

The latest 'in' thing is salt water chlorine generators. Very expensive to install, with components that have a limited life and that have to be replaced every three years or so. The pool pump has to be left on more or less permanently in order for the equipment to produce sufficient chlorine to sanitise the pool properly and often has to be supplemented with commercially manufactured chlorine.

The ONLY satisfactory method of sanitising a swimming pool is by using chlorine. All the other gizmos are a very expensive waste of money and a large percentage of people who try them revert to chlorine after a while.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

You asked "what is MY snake oil remedy". I will answer that question seriously even though it sounded a little 'OFF' to me.
Well hence the . It was intended as a light-hearted jibe to get you to put your position, as one could not fail to notice that you also have an interest from your signature.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying. It sounds like good practical and common-sense advice and is supported by what I have read elsewhere. So, thank you for your contribution - sincerely.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:05 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Nice to see so many responses to the thread...I have read them all with interest and have printed off the three links posted by Poolguy to peruse at leisure when I am out there tomorrow. The pool at my gym, a posh one as work pays for it, has some sort of ozone system, but also has ultra violet lighting. It is extremely pleasant to swim in.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The latest 'in' thing is salt water chlorine generators. Very expensive to install, with components that have a limited life and that have to be replaced every three years or so. The pool pump has to be left on more or less permanently in order for the equipment to produce sufficient chlorine to sanitise the pool properly and often has to be supplemented with commercially manufactured chlorine.
I am having a hybrid system installed. As I understand it, the salination operates only for a small period of time. The mainstay of the sanitisation system is chlorine, but the salinator claims to reduce the amount of chlorine required. However, my reasons for choosing it are more to do with the fact that I personally believe that a small amount of salination is good for curing many common skin ailments. I guess I will find out whether it works and is worth the extra, over time.
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Unexpat
I am having a hybrid system installed. As I understand it, the salination operates only for a small period of time. The mainstay of the sanitisation system is chlorine, but the salinator claims to reduce the amount of chlorine required. However, my reasons for choosing it are more to do with the fact that I personally believe that a small amount of salination is good for curing many common skin ailments. I guess I will find out whether it works and is worth the extra, over time.

Thanks you for your support.

By way of extending or contributing to a wide examination of this topic, I would add this piece which I posted on another forum in France recently. Although it relates to France specifically, the subject is no less topical to Spain I would suggest- as Spain is is the same dire straits as France with respect to water shortages. I would suggest that it demands our examination here as well.

Here is a topic which might raise some eyebrows, but it’s a timely warning for those who have swimming pools.

In particular those who own or are contemplating ownership of a pool with a salt/chlorination system.

As many of you who have read my previous posts know, I have been suggesting for some time that these systems are not environmentally sound. Its now come to a head with a piece of legislation which I understand is being drafted at the moment for the consideration of the French Parliament.

It stems from a Directive which was passed in the European Parliament some years ago, which prohibits the discharge of polluted water by domestic as well as industrial and commercial consumers. Now the French Government, who are enthusiastic protagonists of Europe are drafting the legislation to bring the initiative into law in France.

Although I do not have a copy of the draft to read and analyze as yet, I have been told through a reliable source that the thrust of it will impact heavily on domestic pool owners. Of particular concern will be those who are discharging salinated water into the storm water systems through backwashing and annual water changes. This is because this salinated water ends up in most cases in the fresh water streams and rivers and is creating havoc with the inland ecosystems by raising salt level.

The habit of regular doses of 150 kg of salt will soon be a thing of the past as a consequence. As it is not possible to run a swimming pool without using and discharging water, and to de-salinate is so costly that it would be impractical, so there is nowhere for the owner to turn but to discharge in a clandestine manner, in breach of this law at least once every week. What will be the consequences and how will it be controlled. I don’t know that at this time, but I am sure that those who are drafting this law will also include measures to deal with those issues. Particularly in the light of the lack luster response by pool owners in France to the security laws, due to become law on Jan 1, 2006.

I defend this measure and call it, long overdue. Responsibility for the environment is something we must all share, and this industry will have to change its practices to fall in line. We cannot continue to consume at the rate of the pasts generations with no thought for the consequences and hope to enjoy any quality of life. Where there is no responsibility shown by consumers in the face of the facts, then legislation must step in.

So I say for those who are contemplating the purchase of a swimming pool, think carefully about what sort of sanitization system you buy. Do not accept the shrug, or the ‘beouf’ from your Piscinier, or your French neighbor, as if he does not know about the approach of this law then he should. Choose well for the future otherwise you might have to change later and the costs will mount once more.

I will monitor the progress of this legislation and bring chapter and verse when it becomes available.

I offer it for your comment.
Andrew
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:41 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

EXPAT
It would fill a book.... several perhaps.

There are so many companies out there trying to sell products based on spurious and sometime completely false claims that its just mind destroying to research the topic, unless you have some background knowledge in the subject.

Ozone generators are one such problematic area. There is no health department in Europe or in the US or Australia which will endorse the use of them for anything. Sanitising a pool or a spa is nothing to be trifled with, as some of the nasties are terrifying in their effects - particularly cryptosporidium, and legionella. As I understand it, levels of ozone in the water which is of sufficient concentration to kill these parasites and viruses will certainly have consequences for swimmers with respiratory problems.

The claims that these companies make are primarily negative marketing against chlorine. Most are misleading and some are just plane wrong. The notion for example that chlorine turns hair green - WRONG that is copper form antialgae treatments. That chlorine stings the eyes - WRONG in most case that is pH out of Balance.

Snake oil traders are using the worst kind or tactics to convince consumers unused to swimming pools to sell their very expensive, shiny boxes and I am afraid putting peoples health at risk in so doing. But Hey they have your cheque and its impossible to prove that their device was responsible for an infection from a swimmer –‘ it must have been something else’, they will claim, and you cannot make a case otherwise.

Chlorine works and has for 200 years, there is not currently on the market a treatment which provides a better sanitisation in a swimming pool that is as affordable. The only problems are that it has to be applied properly to best effect and that is where the rub lies. Not often are owners skilled or knowledgeable in the best use of chlorine especially as the marketers have got hold of the products and are busy adding a little confusion here and a bit of misinformation there.

The First two sites in the list I found more reliable, as they did not try to peddle a system, which does not work.

Maybe this is too brief to of use, but as I said before, its a book at least to get thought the issues. I'm trying to build something like this into my website, which is taking an age, as it has to be accurate and in 4 languages.

Andrew
hi, Andrew, having probs with my pool at the mo, there is a yellowy cloudy tinge to the pool, we are quite green as to the swimming pool we have, (not been here very long) we are doing our best but its not good enough.
would you be prepared to come out and have a look at our pool for a fee?????
pat
Old Apr 25th 2006, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks you for your support.

By way of extending or contributing to a wide examination of this topic, I would add this piece which I posted on another forum in France recently. Although it relates to France specifically, the subject is no less topical to Spain I would suggest- as Spain is is the same dire straits as France with respect to water shortages. I would suggest that it demands our examination here as well.

Here is a topic which might raise some eyebrows, but it’s a timely warning for those who have swimming pools.

In particular those who own or are contemplating ownership of a pool with a salt/chlorination system.

As many of you who have read my previous posts know, I have been suggesting for some time that these systems are not environmentally sound. Its now come to a head with a piece of legislation which I understand is being drafted at the moment for the consideration of the French Parliament.

It stems from a Directive which was passed in the European Parliament some years ago, which prohibits the discharge of polluted water by domestic as well as industrial and commercial consumers. Now the French Government, who are enthusiastic protagonists of Europe are drafting the legislation to bring the initiative into law in France.

Although I do not have a copy of the draft to read and analyze as yet, I have been told through a reliable source that the thrust of it will impact heavily on domestic pool owners. Of particular concern will be those who are discharging salinated water into the storm water systems through backwashing and annual water changes. This is because this salinated water ends up in most cases in the fresh water streams and rivers and is creating havoc with the inland ecosystems by raising salt level.

The habit of regular doses of 150 kg of salt will soon be a thing of the past as a consequence. As it is not possible to run a swimming pool without using and discharging water, and to de-salinate is so costly that it would be impractical, so there is nowhere for the owner to turn but to discharge in a clandestine manner, in breach of this law at least once every week. What will be the consequences and how will it be controlled. I don’t know that at this time, but I am sure that those who are drafting this law will also include measures to deal with those issues. Particularly in the light of the lack luster response by pool owners in France to the security laws, due to become law on Jan 1, 2006.

I defend this measure and call it, long overdue. Responsibility for the environment is something we must all share, and this industry will have to change its practices to fall in line. We cannot continue to consume at the rate of the pasts generations with no thought for the consequences and hope to enjoy any quality of life. Where there is no responsibility shown by consumers in the face of the facts, then legislation must step in.

So I say for those who are contemplating the purchase of a swimming pool, think carefully about what sort of sanitization system you buy. Do not accept the shrug, or the ‘beouf’ from your Piscinier, or your French neighbor, as if he does not know about the approach of this law then he should. Choose well for the future otherwise you might have to change later and the costs will mount once more.

I will monitor the progress of this legislation and bring chapter and verse when it becomes available.

I offer it for your comment.
Andrew
Gosh, after reading this thread I'm glad we couldn't afford the extra money a salt system would have cost, we settled for the tradiitonal chlorine treatment for our new pool. I did look into salt and ozone systems as they are both promoted as the best thing since sliced bread.

We also employed professional pool builders to do the job and they recommended chlorine systems as the proven method for pool care, they believed the other ideas were not sufficiently tested, and once we had filled the pool, they followed up with instruction on cleaning and care. We shall be reading further on correct pool care ourselves but we have employed someone who has been recommended from several different sources to care for our pool in our absence therefore one way and another, we hope for trouble free enjoyment of our pool.

I believe it depends on where you live regarding the first fill of your pool. We are lucky in that our neighbourhood has a great water supply from wells and we were able to fill our pool over three days from our own well. Cystal clear water and we were surprised to find it quite warm straight from the ground!

There are people who will fill pools for you at a price naturally, ask your builder if your well cannot handle it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.