Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A few questions..

A few questions..

Old Sep 29th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

madinmex31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A few questions..

First thanks to those who have answered other problems in the past, this forum is first class

The time is now fast approaching for our move and we now have the a provisional address (we are renting)

We do need the internet ASAP after we arrive in the Quesda area. OLE has been recommended. Any recommendations (or otherwise) would be helpful. Is anyone aware of the of the necessity of a minimum contract with either OLE or other internet providers, I should also ask here regarding the minimum contract for a phone line (I understand there is a line attached but will have to make a new contract)

Are the old (ish) UK driving licences (paper type) acceptable to exchange for the Spanish licence

I understand that I can apply for an NIE as soon as I arrive, can I use the provisional number (I am assuming the police issue some form of proof of application) for contracts or whatever else I may need an NIE number for, before the NIE number is officially received by me. I would guess that the time does vary region by region but any idea how long (approx) it takes for the official receipt of an NIE takes to arrive.

Just one other thing, we shall be applying for Spanish residency, do I have to wait for the official NIE number before I can do this ? Because of the law regarding the marriage certificate to be no older than 3 months I have to get the timing right I actually live at least a 1000 miles away from where we got married and cannot afford any mishaps.

Many thanks in advance

(counting down the days )
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:29 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A few questions..

Originally Posted by madinmex31
First thanks to those who have answered other problems in the past, this forum is first class

The time is now fast approaching for our move and we now have the a provisional address (we are renting)

We do need the internet ASAP after we arrive in the Quesda area. OLE has been recommended. Any recommendations (or otherwise) would be helpful. Is anyone aware of the of the necessity of a minimum contract with either OLE or other internet providers, I should also ask here regarding the minimum contract for a phone line (I understand there is a line attached but will have to make a new contract) Normally a year

Are the old (ish) UK driving licences (paper type) acceptable to exchange for the Spanish licenceUnfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you can only exchange the 'new' plastic card types - update the paper ones before leaving UK or you may have to take new tests in Spain

I understand that I can apply for an NIE as soon as I arrive, can I use the provisional number (I am assuming the police issue some form of proof of application) for contracts or whatever else I may need an NIE number for, before the NIE number is officially received by me. I would guess that the time does vary region by region but any idea how long (approx) it takes for the official receipt of an NIE takes to arrive. There's no such thing as a provisional NIE number - until you get yours, use your passport

Just one other thing, we shall be applying for Spanish residency, do I have to wait for the official NIE number before I can do this ? Because of the law regarding the marriage certificate to be no older than 3 months I have to get the timing right I actually live at least a 1000 miles away from where we got married and cannot afford any mishaps. Instead of applying for an NIE, apply for residencia and you will also get your NIE (a little cheaper!). Why do you need to show your marriage certificate? We've never had to!

Many thanks in advance

(counting down the days )
see comments above.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 4:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Depending in your internet needs, you can buy a dongle from Carrefour in nearby Torrevieja to get connected immediately.

Most of the other formalities can be completed with the help of a Gestor, I would ask around in Quesada for a local one.

Quesada comes under the town hall at Rojales and if you try and do things yourself you will need to speak Spanish or take an interpreter.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 5:40 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You can exchange a UK paper licence so long as it is the European pattern licence.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 30th 2011 at 10:10 am.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the helpful replies..

@Snikpoh.. Sorry should have mentioned that my wife is Mexican, hence the need for the "3 month marriage certificate" Thanks for the info on obtaining the residence + NIE at the same time (never knew that one)

@HGB thanks for the 'dongle' info, it will certainly be handy as a stop gap method. Fortunately my wifes natural language is Spanish so I have my own interpreter

@Fred James I can see a problem here I fear my paper licence may be a problem. It does have "European communities model" written on it but I'm not sure whether it meets the requirements you have stated. Something I will have to check.

Thanks all
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: A few questions..

[QUOTE=madinmex31;9648312
Are the old (ish) UK driving licences (paper type) acceptable to exchange for the Spanish licence

[/QUOTE]I have just exchanged my 40 yr old paper licence for a new Spanish one and they included all the classes even those that the new first test does not cover. It will be valid until I am 70 and they did not ask for an medical.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:47 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
.... Quesada comes under the town hall at Rojales and if you try and do things yourself you will need to speak Spanish or take an interpreter.
The staff @ Rojales town hall are very helpful and will converse with you in english. There is an english lady who is a member of the council. She has an office in the town hall.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have just exchanged my 40 yr old paper licence for a new Spanish one and they included all the classes even those that the new first test does not cover. It will be valid until I am 70 and they did not ask for an medical.
I hope that I am lucky enough to have the same experience I will be traveling to Spain from abroad and am not expecting to travel via the UK at all.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
The staff @ Rojales town hall are very helpful and will converse with you in english. There is an english lady who is a member of the council. She has an office in the town hall.
Thanks missile. (I think we may have been posting at the same time ) My wifes language is Spanish so I'm in luck there, It's very embarrassing to admit that during my stay in Mexico my Spanish is still very poor there are some mitigating reasons. My first plan on arrival is to complete a Spanish language course, trying to learn from your spouse (at least in my case) is not recommended unless you have the patience of a saint
Old Sep 29th 2011, 9:14 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We found Quesada a great place to live, I hope you will too . Good luck
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks missile. (I think we may have been posting at the same time ) My wifes language is Spanish so I'm in luck there, It's very embarrassing to admit that during my stay in Mexico my Spanish is still very poor there are some mitigating reasons. My first plan on arrival is to complete a Spanish language course, trying to learn from your spouse (at least in my case) is not recommended unless you have the patience of a saint
There are those on here who say the last way to learn a language from your OH is by behaving like a saint.........
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
We found Quesada a great place to live, I hope you will too . Good luck
Muchos gracias ! (practicing ) we are still going to retain our homes here in Mexico but as far as I am concerned, apart from the occasional visits we intend to spend our retirement in Spain. We spent a week in Quesada earlier this year and was very impressed, so we have booked a short term rent there and can get a larger picture during the following months. Thanks again for your kind comments
Old Sep 29th 2011, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have just exchanged my 40 yr old paper licence for a new Spanish one and they included all the classes even those that the new first test does not cover. It will be valid until I am 70 and they did not ask for an medical.
But with the photo licence the photo has to be renewed every ten years, also a medical and aptitude test is required here in Spain every four years if over sixty, and I think it's ever two over seventy.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 6:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
But with the photo licence the photo has to be renewed every ten years, also a medical and aptitude test is required here in Spain every four years if over sixty, and I think it's ever two over seventy.
Spanish licences have to be renewed every 10 years up to age 65. From then on they have to be renewed every 5 years.

The law was changed quite recently.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 7:01 am
Started off with nothing

Muchos gracias ! (practicing ) we are still going to retain our homes here in Mexico but as far as I am concerned, apart from the occasional visits we intend to spend our retirement in Spain. We spent a week in Quesada earlier this year and was very impressed, so we have booked a short term rent there and can get a larger picture during the following months. Thanks again for your kind comments
de nada Do you have any specific questions re quesada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.