Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Ferry or tunnel

Ferry or tunnel

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

maddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant future
Default Ferry or tunnel

Hi we are travelling to Spain on 12th March,we are afamily of three with a dog ,can any one tell us which is best ferry or tunnel.Also does any body know where we can get the best deal?
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:29 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry or tunnel

Originally Posted by maddiemole
Hi we are travelling to Spain on 12th March,we are afamily of three with a dog ,can any one tell us which is best ferry or tunnel.Also does any body know where we can get the best deal?
I've done both (Dover/ Calais) and given the choice I would probably go for the tunnel as we found it easier, obviously quicker, and more departures.

Just google it, there are no end of deals offered but to be honest I always booked direct with the ferry line / eurotunnel

PS, just thought. Consider Portsmouth / St Malo. Out of the three thats my choice as the drive is a lot easier and you get a good nights sleep to start fresh the following morning. You'll get well past Bordeaux on your first night (if you are going to stop)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 23rd 2007 at 5:31 pm. Reason: PS
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:31 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

We have weighed up all the options and have decided on the tunnel.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

maddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant futuremaddiemole has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I've done both (Dover/ Calais) and given the choice I would probably go for the tunnel as we found it easier, obviously quicker, and more departures.

Just google it, there are no end of deals offered but to be honest I always booked direct with the ferry line / eurotunnel

PS, just thought. Consider Portsmouth / St Malo. Out of the three thats my choice as the drive is a lot easier and you get a good nights sleep to start fresh the following morning. You'll get well past Bordeaux on your first night (if you are going to stop)
thanks very much,don`t think hubby likes boat very much though he won`t admit it so st Malo is out,think it may be tunnel then.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 11:25 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

thanks very much,don`t think hubby likes boat very much though he won`t admit it so st Malo is out,think it may be tunnel then.

We don't travel very well be sea either which is why we have decided on the tunnel. Where are you travelling from? Are you going on holiday or actually moving over in March? Which area are you going to? Ok, so I'm being nosy, but I'm interested
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

Andy Pipken is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
We don't travel very well be sea either which is why we have decided on the tunnel. Where are you travelling from? Are you going on holiday or actually moving over in March? Which area are you going to? Ok, so I'm being nosy, but I'm interested
I DON'T LIKE GOING IN THE "BACK TUNNEL" FAR TO DARK AND SMELLY
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:55 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
I DON'T LIKE GOING IN THE "BACK TUNNEL" FAR TO DARK AND SMELLY
THATS GOT ME THINKING......WHY DO GAYS LOVE THE BACK TUNNEL SO MUCH PLEASE HELP AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andy Pipken
THATS GOT ME THINKING......WHY DO GAYS LOVE THE BACK TUNNEL SO MUCH PLEASE HELP AN 8 YEAR OLD BOY UNDERSTAND THESE THINGS
Be VERY carefull if you have a pop at me over this question... you could be forever looked on as a "pillow biter"

Last edited by Andy Pipken; Feb 24th 2007 at 7:59 pm. Reason: spelling again ( I am only 8 for gods sake)
Old Feb 25th 2007, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

sunlover27 is on a distinguished road

We've had to think about this one since deciding to take the car and have decided on the ferry, for me personally I don't fancy either, for his nibs he's decide it will be less driving. Oh well, will just have to live on kwells while at sea
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:28 am
Just Joined

lezz12 is an unknown quantity at this point

we have been told ,we cant use tunnel as the motohome has gas tank we use for cooking,
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:44 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lezz12
we have been told ,we cant use tunnel as the motohome has gas tank we use for cooking,

Cant you remove it and then buy a new one once you get to the other side?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by lezz12
Out of date info. Eurotunnel used to ban LPG 'tanks' (not cannisters) but they changed the rules in 2004. There are a few restrictions:-

The tank must be part of the standard equipment of the vehicle
The maximum capacity of the tank should not exceed 93 litres (47kg)
The tank/vehicle must be fitted with a capacity gauge
The tank must not be filled to more than 80% of its capacity (73 litres)
All valves must be in the 'off' position.