Reload this Page >

Ferry to Morocco

Ferry to Morocco

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Tonyj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ferry to Morocco

Hi

We are staying in Gib for a few days next week and fancy a day trip to Tangiers.

Is there a ferry from Gib or do we need to get to Tarifa?

Is it just one ferry company that does the trip or are there choices/different prices?

Once there, is it easy to get around without a car?

Any pointers much appreciated.

Tony
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 2:56 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Ferry to Morocco

Originally Posted by Tonyj
Hi

We are staying in Gib for a few days next week and fancy a day trip to Tangiers.

Is it just one ferry company that does the trip or are there choices/different prices?

Tony

Hi Tony when I went to Morocco I booked on-line and went from Tarifa, as far as I know Tarifa is the port the ferry's leave from.

I found the whole place vey confusing and was so glad we were on an organaised trip, we booked for an over night stay so we did the guided tour on the first day and then had the 2nd day to explore by ourselves. Friend's that had done the trip before us said that it was best to do the guided tour the first time so you know where things are and how to handle the looky look peeps. I hated it and I don't think I would go again, but it is something everyone should do at least once. Good luck. Oh my kids loved it, so I think it was an age/lady thing with me
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:05 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Algeciras is the port you need, HERE don`t forget to load all the rubbish out your garage onto the car roof so you wont`t look out of place.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

You can go from Gibraltar, Algeciras or Tarifa.

Tarifia is the cheapest, but Gibraltar isn't too bad, especially now with the £/Euro.

It is VERY easy to get around once there, you basically arrive within walking distance of the town (despite what the taxi drivers tell you), however personally, I would get bored very quickly just wondering around (and being harassed every 10 seconds).
I would recommend going on an organised tour which the ferry operators can provide, it shows you all the sights and you get fed well too.

Personally I hated the place and wouldn't go back, got completely sick of being shown cheap tat all the time and being told "good price, good price".
I was expecting good quality, and hand crafted items, but its more like a cheap market with fake watches, awful hand made drums and various other bits of crap!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:34 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Algeciras is the port you need, HERE don`t forget to load all the rubbish out your garage onto the car roof so you wont`t look out of place.
and a goat in the back seat, gotta have a goat in the back seat.......
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 4:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tonyj
Hi

Tony
Baillin says there is a ferry from Gib - I say that's cobblers.
You can get a ferry from either Algeciras or Tarifa.
Tarifa is the quick journey as its the shortest cross Straits route. Look at www.frs.es for details and organised triops.
At Algeciras you have 3 or 4 ferry companies vying for your biz. But when you get to the terminal you have the option of parking in the open air right in from of the Departures building (about Euros 14 per 24 hours but first hour is free if you want to nose around inside)
There are FAST catamaran ferries from Algeciras that take about 1 1/2 hours and slow car ferries that take 2 1/2 hours.
Plenty to see and do in Tangier but that's another story.

Morocco is on UK time so as Spain is one hour advanced, you will arrive in Tangier earlier than you thought.....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

sirrom will become famous soon enoughsirrom will become famous soon enough

Anyone bored in morroco must be bored of life,theres plenty to do and see ,just getting the lay of the land will keep you busy ,let alone all the culture ,smells ,food,history, around every corner lies another adventure,,,tangier is not the best place to start and you will be better served by beating a hasty retreat out of tangier and head down to meknes or rabat,being hassled is part of the picture and eventually you will find a way to deal with it,firmness without rudeness and as little conversation as possible is best.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your help. We'll book a guided tour, I think, and give it a whirl.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nige
Baillin says there is a ferry from Gib - I say that's cobblers.
You'd be wrong then wouldn't you.
Maybe try looking at the very site you linked before giving out false information.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:43 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

No departures found, on all the Gib listings though.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
No departures found, on all the Gib listings though.
AFAIK the ferry leave Gib on Friday and return late Sunday. Although it has been known to be cancelled on a freqeuent basis to the frustration of the Gib based Moroccans.

All in all, it is easier to travel from Tarifa as the ferries are much more frequent and faster.

Have a great time in Morocco
Old Jan 5th 2009, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ballin
You'd be wrong then wouldn't you.
Maybe try looking at the very site you linked before giving out false information.
yes I did. I think you will find that the Original poster was looking to go very soon. I think you should be aware about giving out falsies
Old Jan 6th 2009, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Went today; had a great time. The old town area is like another world, really interesting.

Got the 11am ferry from Tarifa, departed a bit late, but smooth enough.

Wandered into town, a few interruptions by potential "guides", just told them we were Norwegian. None of them spoke that language so left us alone.

Lunch in a French patisserie, one crazy taxi journey, then wandered back to the Port for the 1800 ferry.

Only scary bit was when a few crazy people decided to start their engines in the car deck ten minutes before docking. Eventually persuaded to turn them off as people started being overcome by carbon monoxide!

Great day, thoroughly recommend the excursion, thanks for all the pointers.