Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Feed horn for LNB

Feed horn for LNB

Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future
Default Feed horn for LNB

I asked this on another forum so forgive me if you're seeing it twice. I have an Invacom dual LNB on a PF 1.8 meter dish. What's the best feed horn size to use? I'm in the north CB area.

Tim
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:23 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Feed horn for LNB

What feedhorn (and make of dish!) have you got at the moment????
Usually the one that comes with the dish / LNB kit is the one to use, unless the installer is totally incompetant! Why do you want to change??

Depends on you make of dish, as there are two types of c120 feedhorns..a big one and a small one!

I use big one on famaval 1.8m and 2.4m dishes, and the smaller on on the other make of portuguese 1.8m dish. Sometimes you can use an invacom adjustable feedhorn as well for the 2.4s.

Adjustable

There is also a completely different feedhorn for the "bulgarian" dishes....but these can be adapted to use the horns above.

But what is more critical is the distance from the dish of the feedhorn...it is critical, and is differnet for different makes and sizes of dishes, and the skew / rotation angle of the LNB.

A change in feedhorn can make a difference in reception, but it does not work miracles....as reception is a combination of LNB, feedhorn, location, dish site, cable type, cable run, receiever, local topography, local interferance, dish alignment, LNB distance, LNB skew...and a few other things....

Last edited by The Guy; Feb 12th 2011 at 5:42 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Feed horn for LNB

Originally Posted by The Guy
What feedhorn (and make of dish!) have you got at the moment????
Usually the one that comes with the dish / LNB kit is the one to use, unless the installer is totally incompetant! Why do you want to change??

Depends on you make of dish, as there are two types of c120 feedhorns..a big one and a small one!
http://satandpcguy.com/Site/Resources/feedhornlarge.jpg
http://satandpcguy.com/Site/Resources/feedhornsmall.jpg

I use big one on famaval 1.8m and 2.4m dishes, and the smaller on on the other make of portuguese 1.8m dish. Sometimes you can use an invacom adjustable feedhorn as well for the 2.4s.

Adjustable
http://satandpcguy.com/Site/Resource...adjustable.png

There is also a completely different feedhorn for the "bulgarian" dishes....but these can be adapted to use the horns above.

But what is more critical is the distance from the dish of the feedhorn...it is critical, and is differnet for different makes and sizes of dishes, and the skew / rotation angle of the LNB.

A change in feedhorn can make a difference in reception, but it does not work miracles....as reception is a combination of LNB, feedhorn, location, dish site, cable type, cable run, receiever, local topography, local interferance, dish alignment, LNB distance, LNB skew...and a few other things....
WHAT IS A FEEDHORN AND WHAT DOES IT DO? I don't think I have one of those. Mine is an offset LNB on a 1.4m dish

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Feb 12th 2011 at 9:37 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 9:21 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Its the prime focus LNBs used on "big dishes" that require the seperate piece / feedhorn.

Universal LNBs, used on offsets, sort of have them build in, and so they dont require the seperate piece. They are called LNBF's ie LNBs with feedhorn.

http://www.ehow.co.uk/list_6764379_d...-lnb-lnbf.html

Amongst other thing, they help guide the wave to the LNB - a feedhorn is also called a wave guide.

http://www.tech-faq.com/feedhorn.html
Old Feb 16th 2011, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Guy

Super advice ! I keep trying to explain the complexity to those who tap me up to sort thier problems out having used an "expert".

I would only add Dish Size is critical !

Go Large !

Best

Loco