Faith healing

Old May 3rd 2011, 10:00 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faith healing

Originally Posted by The Oddities
At the end of the day all that really matters is does it work or not.
Bingo!! The voice of reason. Whether or not something works can be measured.

One can disbelieve in " alternative" medicine but then what if the patient recovers.
So if someone is ill and they take something and they get better then that is evidence that what they took made them better? Please tell me that's not what you think...

What category do the millions of placebos given out by "real" doctors come into and as any doctor will tell you they very often work. Definitions and arguements are good fun and in a black and white world, this polarised arguement could be useful but in reality if a medicine works for me, from whatever source, that is all I would care about.
"works for me" oh dear - it either works or it doesn't.

I doubt that you would find a doctor anywhere that does not believe in the effects of positive thought, what category would one put that in, probably somewhere between the two.
Much of today´s medicine has been refined from ancient remedies, the problem with saying that only scientifically created remedies work makes me wonder how mankind survived before the last few hundred years.

Graham
Has anybody said "that only scientifically created remedies work"?

Not me for sure. I would however say that you cannot be sure that a remedy works unless it has been scientifically tested - which is a whole different ballgame.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Bingo!! The voice of reason. Whether or not something works can be measured.

So if someone is ill and they take something and they get better then that is evidence that what they took made them better? Please tell me that's not what you think...

"works for me" oh dear - it either works or it doesn't.

Has anybody said "that only scientifically created remedies work"?

Not me for sure. I would however say that you cannot be sure that a remedy works unless it has been scientifically tested - which is a whole different ballgame.
I am sure that you are absolutely right.

Graham
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Of course not. If I cared about someone, and dancing naked round a fire waving a black cat by the tail helped them, then I'd do it.

When you take something like homepathy, and there is a really hard job to tell whether there is or isn't any truth to it, I just say what's the point in bothering?
I'm surprised at you bil - there is no doubt whatever about homeopathy. It's bollocks.
Old May 3rd 2011, 10:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I always wondered how they worked out what would work.

I remember a cartoon of two stone age witch doctors standing outside a cave. There is a dead cave man lying by the side of the cave, and the witchdocter with a bunch of herbs in his hand is saying to the other WD 'Deadly nightshade doesn't work for piles. Pass it on.'
No doubt it was kill or cure, ...but if some poor sod looked to be dying anyway, then anything would be worth a try way back then.
If they found it worked on half a dozen similar cases then no doubt to them that would be as good as our scientifically proven.
If a couple of them popped their clogs,then they'd drop the deadly nightshade idea and try something else.
Simple enough, trial and error, thats all they had to evaluate something back then, but on that basis,I would imagine they did have some success at least, and a similar type of reasoning probably resulted in whatever old wives remedies proved successful.
Old May 4th 2011, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

1) I expect they pay a bit of rent which the proper doctor would welcome

2) The proper doctor can palm his hypochondriac timewasters off onto somebody who can make a few bob out of them. I can't see much wrong with that.
Ha ha. Yes. I see what you mean! My mother in law likes prescriptions. If they gave her homeopathic water instead of the noxious drugs they do give her...she might feel better!
Old May 4th 2011, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

There is one problem with "scientific testing", and that is that if you trace the funding trail back it's probably too closely linked with getting the desired answer.
'Cherchez la femme';-)
Old May 4th 2011, 6:26 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by angiescarr
There is one problem with "scientific testing", and that is that if you trace the funding trail back it's probably too closely linked with getting the desired answer.
'Cherchez la femme';-)
This is indeed sometimes a problem.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:28 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

'Cherchez la femme';-)
Now that's a damn good point.
Old May 4th 2011, 7:33 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised at you bil - there is no doubt whatever about homeopathy. It's bollocks.
It may well be, but it is true to say that water is a most unusual substance with some quite odd properties, and there may be something to their claims that water has memory. I keep an open mind.

Given tho that the homeopathic effect if real, would be surely almost impossible to detect against the background of placebo 'noise', is it even worth the effort of trying?
Old May 4th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
It may well be, but it is true to say that water is a most unusual substance with some quite odd properties, and there may be something to their claims that water has memory. I keep an open mind.

Given tho that the homeopathic effect if real, would be surely almost impossible to detect against the background of placebo 'noise', is it even worth the effort of trying?
Ah. Now we're getting into an interesting area I call 'vibration'. Sounds like waffy airy fairy nonsense. Trying to explain it to my brother who is a sound designer I hit on putting it it like this:- Everything affects everything else. Imperceptibly usually. Most things have a kind of 'alignment' that can be 'out', like old fashioned computer screens used to need 'degaussing' from time to time. To put the microscopic magnetic particles back into alignment.
Many alternative remedies work on the principle of rebalancing and I think it's like 'degaussing' for the body. I'm not advocating any of these by mentioning them. But I do find it a really interesting area.
I know from experience (as a guitarist) that wood is very good at picking up these vibrations and that an old guitar which has been played well, or at least hard in my case has a better sound. It's been said you can even reproduce this maturation by playing music into a new guitar placed in front of a speaker!
And... on a possibly related note...weirdly, tea tastes better out of porcelain.
(This will be several steps too far for many on this forum who now will have me down as a total nutter!)
Old May 4th 2011, 11:13 am
bil
Banned

Ah. Now we're getting into an interesting area I call 'vibration'. Sounds like waffy airy fairy nonsense. Trying to explain it to my brother who is a sound designer I hit on putting it it like this:- Everything affects everything else. Imperceptibly usually. Most things have a kind of 'alignment' that can be 'out', like old fashioned computer screens used to need 'degaussing' from time to time. To put the microscopic magnetic particles back into alignment.
Many alternative remedies work on the principle of rebalancing and I think it's like 'degaussing' for the body. I'm not advocating any of these by mentioning them. But I do find it a really interesting area.
I know from experience (as a guitarist) that wood is very good at picking up these vibrations and that an old guitar which has been played well, or at least hard in my case has a better sound. It's been said you can even reproduce this maturation by playing music into a new guitar placed in front of a speaker!
And... on a possibly related note...weirdly, tea tastes better out of porcelain.
(This will be several steps too far for many on this forum who now will have me down as a total nutter!)
Hmmm. Most times I hear people talking about vibration and energy levels I start looking for the angels and crystals to appear.

Water is wierd. By rights it should have a boiling point waaay below its current freezing point, and that's because it exists as polymers of water molecules, on average 25 molecules long.

These polymers exist in a number of odd shapes, the only one that I can remember is the one shaped like a book open at 45 degrees.

Down at the quantum level, really weird stuff starts to make itself felt.

The problem is as I say. If this effect is so small that it isn't easily demonstrated, why worry about it?
Old May 4th 2011, 11:33 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by bil

It's worth looking at why homeopaths suddenly decided that water had memory.

It's because someone pointed out to them that if they diluted the original substance to a level of 12c there would be little chance of there being even one molecule of the substance in the solution. If they further dilute it to 30c (a common level of dilution in remedies) there would be no chance whatsoever.

That is why they suddenly made up the 'fact' that water has memory - no other reason.
Old May 4th 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
Hmmm. Most times I hear people talking about vibration and energy levels I start looking for the angels and crystals to appear.

Water is wierd. By rights it should have a boiling point waaay below its current freezing point, and that's because it exists as polymers of water molecules, on average 25 molecules long.

These polymers exist in a number of odd shapes, the only one that I can remember is the one shaped like a book open at 45 degrees.

Down at the quantum level, really weird stuff starts to make itself felt.

The problem is as I say. If this effect is so small that it isn't easily demonstrated, why worry about it?
Nope. Not interested in :- Angels, crystals, witchery, dragons, muesli knitting, crop circles and all that 'waffy' stuff.
I'm interested in the unexplained though. At least, that which isn't explained by obsessives as God ...or some other manifestation of their own fear.
Old May 4th 2011, 1:00 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Not interested in :- Angels, crystals, witchery, dragons, muesli knitting, crop circles and all that 'waffy' stuff.
I'm interested in the unexplained though. At least, that which isn't explained by obsessives as God ...or some other manifestation of their own fear.
When in UK we regularly visited a place selling crytals etc and the person selling them used to say that you should be attracted to the stone that you were in need of. I love anything purple so would often buy any stones that had purple in them no matter what other colour was with it, could never get through to the seller that it was purely the colour and nothing to do with the stone. That reminds me that I have not hung my crystals in this house yet, again it is for the way that they look not because of any beliefs.

Rosemary
Old May 4th 2011, 11:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I often hear the womenfolk jabbering on about essential oils and how they are so good for this that and the other, as well curing a thousand and one different ailments.
So consequently I get to thinking if they are so essential we could all be in mortal danger if we don't have immediate access to them, just as if we were deprived of other essential things like air and water.
Strangely enough to the best of my knowledge the human race seems to have survived ok without essentil oils for many thousands of years, so can someone kindly explain to me why they are described as being so essential and why the conmen who deal in them should not be prosecuted under the trades description act if they aren't really essential at all, but merely overpriced tiny bottles of smelly scent ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.