Faith healing

Old May 2nd 2011, 9:16 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Faith healing

Originally Posted by HBG
You need some faith in the unknown in life, otherwise it gets too tedious.
Nothing wrong in reading fantasy and enjoying fairy stories.

The trouble is when people start to treat them as real.
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Dont you mean the "G Spot"? just wondering, with you having that "crafty erotic" website.
Ha ha. Thanks for redirecting everyone on the forum to my website. Unfortunately I think they may be a bit disappointed................With the website that is. Obviously I'm gorgeous!
(sings) "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me

................Though maybe a little less menopausal!"
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
... but not so open that your brain falls out...
Doh! Maybe I wasn't careful enough about that
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:44 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Ha ha. Thanks for redirecting everyone on the forum to my website. Unfortunately I think they may be a bit disappointed................With the website that is. Obviously I'm gorgeous!
(sings) "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me

................Though maybe a little less menopausal!"
The guys on here will be dissapointed with the "cucumber masterclass"
I was.
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

The guys on here will be dissapointed with the "cucumber masterclass"
I was.
There far are too many opportunities for "OO-err missus" comments in my life
I teach "caning (in miniature)" by the way. (Just small scale perversion you might say)
Today I'm caning melons.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:01 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
No, no, no, no, no.

Dick, you come across as an intelligent guy. Now, if you can't actually grasp what science is, how the hell are we meant to explain it to the average guy in the street?

The big bang theory isn't science. Darwin isn't science.

Science is seeking the facts by asking questions.

It doesn't matter if somone gets it wrong along the way, because science is self correcting. We all get together and think that the solution to a given question is (a) rather than (b), and then tomorrow someone else comes along with more data which shows that it is more likely to be (b), or even (c).

That's not a failure of science. It would be a failure if science then refused to consider (b) or (c).

Whichever the path we take, all we hold to be true is up for question and challenge, unlike religion, crystals and so on where you are discouraged from challenging the accepted faiths.

If you do what the old wives say because they say so, and without ever checking to see if they are right, that is wrong. That's not keeping an open mind, it's the slavish following of other people's footsteps.

Keeping an open mind should mean that you never ignore an idea because of its source, and you alwyas test each new idea to see if it really does hold water.
Once again you deliberately twist my post to suit your own theories.

I simply point out that some things that you believe to be true because they are the result of scientific theory may not be so.

Likewise old wives remedies and native remedies from remote parts of the world which have been poo pooed or else considered witchcraft, have later been proved to be quite effective.

In your book if a scientist says x+y=z you automatically believe it.

In a thousand years time our present research and scientific knowledge may well be looked on as very primitive and inaccurate, just as we look back at previous ages in a similar manner.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:02 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I teach "caning (in miniature)" by the way. (Just small scale perversion you might say)
Today I'm caning melons.
YOU TEACH CANING IN MINATURE? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?

I have a few interpretations of my own.

1. You cane midgets in a confined space.

2. You can normal sized "folk" with a very small cane. 3

3. You cane, but only in minature doses, ie only 1 of the best instead of the usual 6.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:03 am
Banned

Today I'm caning melons.
Wow, that is EXTREME, who the hell would want their melons caning??????
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:09 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, that is EXTREME, who the hell would want their melons caning??????
Stay tooned to this channel to learn more about the intricacies and mysteries of S&M.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bil
Anyone see that prog by Derren Brown on Faith healing? Nicely exposing the tricks of the trade used by so called healers to delude the weak and the stupid.

I couldn't for the life of me decide which was worse, that people would be so foolish, or that the 'healers' would be so evil as to prey on them.
Sounds like Jimmy Swaggart (the American Evalgelist) with his "send me a cheque for 1000 dollars and I will make sure you go to heaven" pitch on TV.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:21 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Likewise many old remedies and cures discovered by accident and used successfully by natives in remote parts of the world or in some cases old wives and witches, have later proven to be of great use to the medical profession.
A classic is the South American indians with quinine that has saved many lives. A lot of medicines in use now are "old wives remedies" that have been recreated in the labs.

Graham
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:57 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by The Oddities
A classic is the South American indians with quinine that has saved many lives. A lot of medicines in use now are "old wives remedies" that have been recreated in the labs.

Graham
Pleasing that at least someone understands.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:17 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Once again you deliberately twist my post to suit your own theories.

I simply point out that some things that you believe to be true because they are the result of scientific theory may not be so.

Likewise old wives remedies and native remedies from remote parts of the world which have been poo pooed or else considered witchcraft, have later been proved to be quite effective.

In your book if a scientist says x+y=z you automatically believe it.

In a thousand years time our present research and scientific knowledge may well be looked on as very primitive and inaccurate, just as we look back at previous ages in a similar manner.

No.

If a scientist says something I will give it more credance than it an 'old wife' tells me.

I always take a statement and compare it to everything I know, or can reasonable assume to be true.

The more outré a claim, the more evidence I require. That's all.

You say that our present scientific knowledge may be looked on as inaccurate. That may be true for the more esoteric, only partly understood things. However, two plus two will always be four, and all the basic science is very unlikely to be demonstrated to be false.

Newton's laws of motion will always apply.
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:25 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities

Graham
Um, not quite. To digress for a moment, almost without exception, all the chemical treatments available to us in the last century were plant derived.

I think I'm correct in saying that still to this day, most such chemicals are still harvested from plants, and only a very few are actually made from scratch in the lab.

Now back to the quote. Quinine here is a case in point of the triumph of science over old wives. Quinine was recognised as a treatment for malaria, but it only worked sporadically. One batch of bark would work well when processed into the drug, and the next wouldn't.

I can't remember the guy's name, but I think he was the one who recognised that the rubber plant was valuable, while exploring/crossing a huge tract of south america. He made enquires and asked questions (which is what science is all about) and he discovered that there were two species of quinine tree, very similar, but one was very effective against malaria, the other only slightly, if at all.

To be honest, old wives are very often unrecognised scientists in their own right, noting that a certain herb has a useful effect, and trying others to build up a mental library of such plants.

An old wife who checks and compares each herb to establish the truth is, by definition, a scientist.

See?
Old May 2nd 2011, 11:46 am
On the road again.

I knew you'd come round to our way of thinking in the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.