Eye Surgery

Old Jul 19th 2014, 12:53 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eye Surgery

Originally Posted by IamStu
Unfortunately Jim, your prescription will probably continue changing up until your 80´s! By which time, your cataracts will be taken out and things will finally stabalise.
The problem is with the lens inside your eye not having a blood supply. (Otherwise everything we look at would be pink!)
The lens is very soft as a child but as cells die, and as there is no blood supply to carry them away, they remain inside the lens capsule.
Eventually, at the age of about 45yrs, the lens starts hardening, so loses focus ability...hence reading glasses.
This process continues until all the dead cells cause it to go misty...hence cataracts.
These days, the replacement implanted lenses can change focus (at a cost) and will remove the need of any distance or reading glasses. Also, as they are artificial there won´t be any dead cell accumulation.
If I was to consider corrective surgery, I wouldn´t wait until I was 80! This is the method I would opt for!
I have decided against surgery I think - I am happy enough with gas permeable lenses which give me good full range vision thanks to different prescriptions for each eye - one for distance and one for close up. I've worn them for 40 years so I am used to the hassle every morning and night. Bit annoying in dry and dusty conditions or if you get anything else into your eye with the lens - but I can put up with that.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Second hand cars, white goods, self-employed stamp, internet, mobile phones, estate agents' fees...

In addition there's not a lot that's cheaper - food is about the same, petrol/diesel not much different but rent is cheaper and of course alcohol and tobacco, vets' fees..
Ive seen tv, 10MB internet and free calls for less than E25 I pay double that in England and I have a basic tv package no sport or films.

Iphone5 about £550 in UK seen one E510 in Spain so a lot cheaper, as are the packages on offer.

Fuel price is about the same in E's as £'s so cheaper.

Not checking anything else, checked 2 things and found them to be cheaper in Spain.

Sorry dont have euro key on my pc.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 2:28 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cliff b
Ive seen tv, 10MB internet and free calls for less than E25 I pay double that in England and I have a basic tv package no sport or films.

Iphone5 about £550 in UK seen one E510 in Spain so a lot cheaper, as are the packages on offer.

Fuel price is about the same in E's as £'s so cheaper.

Not checking anything else, checked 2 things and found them to be cheaper in Spain.

Sorry dont have euro key on my pc.
We pay £8 for internet and everything in the UK including BT sports - you are right - you are getting ripped off there.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

cliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond reputecliff b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
We pay £8 for internet and everything in the UK including BT sports - you are right - you are getting ripped off there.
You must be on some special package or I have misunderstood you because without the sport the basic BT freeview tv package with internet is £30.99, line rental alone without anything is £15.99 so how you get anything for £8 seems a bit odd?

My sister worked for BT for 30 years and had everything free from them when she worked there, soon as she took early retirement and found out the BT charges she went with sky.

BT TV Packages – Get Great TV and Broadband Packages – BT TV
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:35 pm
FreeThinker

Have a look at these deals..

Best Broadband Deals & Offers From £2.50 - Compare Best Broadband Deals - uSwitch.com

Broadband in Spain is not comparable - and remember that in many places in Spain there is no competition for landline broadband services. And have a look at mobile broadband costs - frightening.

You might be able to pick out the odd local deal and likewise with mobile telephony if you are lucky. Believe me - I've lived 15 years in Spain and now the UK. Telephony and broadband is cheaper in the UK.

Now have a look at second hand cars, estate agent and other moving costs, self employed stamp and white goods. Also look at some taxes - starting with inheritance and gift tax.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

I appreciate your intentions Jim but what you quote is not the true price its the 6 month offer price to get you on the 18 month contract then they hope u will stay with them. The prices I quoted were the long term costs.

I only look at the things that will affect me, a lot of the things that you mention will not. Inheritance and gift tax, self employment stamp, moving costs I have priced and its not so bad, hire a van one way and drive, easy. In today's throw away society are things worth transporting 1500 miles?

Thank you for pointing these things out to me though, it's good to have as much info as possible.
Old Jul 19th 2014, 10:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
You cannot generalise on price as no two laser treatments are the same. You get what you pay for in the end, If you don't value your sight look for the cheapest.

Just because its cheaper in Spain may be because of the lower standard of living and not that the UK is expensive, also the UK is renowned for its eye surgery.

Then again if it was perceived as vital for eyesight rather than cosmetic reasons ie you don't want to wear glassses, then the UK treatment on the NHS would be free not chargeable. So as you are paying I'll hazard a guess its for cosmetic reasons.

Not knocking the OP rather defending the NHS. Far too many people knock it when for the money it gives a worlds best service- you don't believe me? Why then do so many flock to the UK for 'free' health care rather than get it in their own country?

Spain has free health care along the lines of the UK, just try getting it rather than a private hospital over here! Our experience is the nursing care is non existent, yes they give medication, change dressing etc, but everything else you are left to your own devices. Can't get out of bed for the toilet? tough luck, can't feed yourself? tough luck.

Very true. I paid $6K USD for LASIK 15 years ago. I could have had LASIK for half that price...after researching for about a year and having several consultations...I finally made a decision.

After the procedure I went home and went to bed for a few hours. When I woke up I could see perfectly...but I know a few people who haven't been as lucky.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

My OH had Lasik about 15 years ago - when Boots the Chemist were doing it. ISTR that the cost for 2 eyes was around £1800 then. She did have some astigmatism and a very strong prescription but this didn't seem to inflate the cost at the time.
She swears by them. She needs to wear sunglasses when it's sunny more than before and experiences some flare when driving at night but apart from that she has been trouble free. She is now beginning to need glasses for close work and computer work but this was explained and is entirely expected
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:14 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by cliff b
I appreciate your intentions Jim but what you quote is not the true price its the 6 month offer price to get you on the 18 month contract then they hope u will stay with them. The prices I quoted were the long term costs.

I only look at the things that will affect me, a lot of the things that you mention will not. Inheritance and gift tax, self employment stamp, moving costs I have priced and its not so bad, hire a van one way and drive, easy. In today's throw away society are things worth transporting 1500 miles?

Thank you for pointing these things out to me though, it's good to have as much info as possible.
That's fine. As long as you can avoid the expensive bits then the fact that Spain is in some respects as 'rip off' as Britain is irrelevant to you.

Incidentally my internet costs will rise to £16 a month at some point unless I choose to change to another starter deal. In Jimena, many are paying 70 Euros.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 7:36 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Can we get back on topic please - it's about eye surgery, not broadband prices in the UK.

Thanks.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 9:41 am
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

If you go for eye surgery and the Doctor is wear glasses walk out ..
Old Jul 20th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

The guy that we saw for the consultation did not have glasses he told us that he had it done 7 years ago and 99.9% of people have no problems.

If my wife's goes okay I will consider it, but I will let her be the guinea pig

I will look at Spain though first to compare prices.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 3:19 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
My OH had Lasik about 15 years ago - when Boots the Chemist were doing it. ISTR that the cost for 2 eyes was around £1800 then. She did have some astigmatism and a very strong prescription but this didn't seem to inflate the cost at the time.
She swears by them. She needs to wear sunglasses when it's sunny more than before and experiences some flare when driving at night but apart from that she has been trouble free. She is now beginning to need glasses for close work and computer work but this was explained and is entirely expected
At the time you´re talking about, Boots had invested approx 1.5 million for each laser. The lasers they used would work away at lasering your eye whilst tracking eye movement.
They were also one of the few places ethical enough to put a prescription limit on what they would do.
I believe they got rid of the service as they couldn´t afford the bad press that followed from the unhappy customers!

As for the guy that had laser 7 yrs ago, that also quoted 99.9% of people are fine, I´d be inclined to not trust another single word the man said.
Pay your cash, sign your disclaimer and why not? After all, there´s no going back!
Old Jul 21st 2014, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Clinica Rincon in Nerja or Clinica Marcos in Torre del Mar.
Thank you Fred

Iv'e now had a look at those two places and have saved their details for future use.
Old Jul 21st 2014, 7:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy girl had laser surgery a while ago...don't know how it eventually turned out...but she wasn't a happy camper.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/loung...ourage-803945/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.