British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Expats vs Benefits (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/expats-vs-benefits-715803/)

bil May 6th 2011 10:03 am

Re: Expats vs Benefits

There was a WONDERFUL cartoon in el Jueves. Someone gets their wish, and all the immigrants disappear. There is then a string of cartoons comparing before and after.

Before, the old guy is bitching that the long waiting lists are the fault of the immigrants. After, the long waiting lists are because all the immigrant doctors have gone.

Before, a man is complaining that the immigrants take all the jobs. After, he is offered a job as a garbage collector, only to complain that that sort of work is only fit for immigrants.... and so on.

Dick Dasterdly May 6th 2011 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9346914)
There was a WONDERFUL cartoon in el Jueves. Someone gets their wish, and all the immigrants disappear. There is then a string of cartoons comparing before and after.

Before, the old guy is bitching that the long waiting lists are the fault of the immigrants. After, the long waiting lists are because all the immigrant doctors have gone.

Before, a man is complaining that the immigrants take all the jobs. After, he is offered a job as a garbage collector, only to complain that that sort of work is only fit for immigrants.... and so on.

Exactly,and I imagine many more crops would be left in the fields to rot causing the price of what was harvested to go sky high.

Incidently it appears that its way overpriced now.
I just watched a Spanish news programme showing documented evidence of the prices the growers were receiving for their produce, which was then multiplied by TEN before appearing on the supermarket shelves.

bil May 6th 2011 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9347030)
Exactly,and I imagine many more crops would be left in the fields to rot causing the price of what was harvested to go sky high.

Incidently it appears that its way overpriced now.
I just watched a Spanish news programme showing documented evidence of the prices the growers were receiving for their produce, which was then multiplied by TEN before appearing on the supermarket shelves.

Ouchie!

I always understood that the supermarket was the one which did the multiplying. One of my customers was a pig farmer, and he reckoned that the supermarkets made more out of his pigs than he did.

Dick Dasterdly May 6th 2011 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9347533)
Ouchie!

I always understood that the supermarket was the one which did the multiplying. One of my customers was a pig farmer, and he reckoned that the supermarkets made more out of his pigs than he did.

Yes, thats precisely what I meant,... and having had personal experience, your second point is also spot on

bil May 6th 2011 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9347632)
Yes, thats precisely what I meant,... and having had personal experience, your second point is also spot on

Yeah that was the precise point when I read it again. Either I need glasses, or stop doing things that reduce the old vision.